Where And How Do You Store Indian Clothes?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SeekingMind, Sep 7, 2016.

1. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Many of us don't wear Sarees on daily basis. I have observed even in India there are not many women left who wear saree every day. In India we keep our sarees in metal or wooden almirahs.
    But, Women living outside India, where do you store your sarees? Here in US, we are given closets. Do you hang all your sarees and Salwar suits on hangers in your closet or fold and keep them in a box or a cupboard?
    I love hanging all my sarees and dresses on hangers but then I will be charged guilty for hogging up all the space while poor hubby is given a small corner, though we have a reasonably bigger closet. I want to buy an armoire but since we have a pretty decent size closet I am thinking whether to go for it or not.

Please share any ideas and how you organize your closet, where you store your Indian clothes etc.
    Would love to hear from you.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

We live in an old house with limited closet space, so I have converted a small room in our basement into a walk in closet. Our basement is dry so no issues with mold. I got a bunch of portable clothes racks from IKEA, along with sturdy wooden hangers. All my seldom-used clothes live here. Before that they used to be in suitcases. If you are using them only rarely and are pressed for space you can flat-pack them into vacuum storage bags.

SeekingMind and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had couple of small suitcases to store Indian clothes. They fit nicely on the closet floor if laid down flat. DH used to keep turning them to upright position. All clothes got messed up. This happened a few times : ) If there is no fight over direction of toilet paper, and tooth paste cap, then, other issues present themselves. So, I started hanging them in hangers (have lots of closet space). But, they started to gather dust, and as I take out one dress, the ones in nearby hangers slip out. Then, I looked into options like http://www.wayfair.com/ATH-Home-63-H-x-60-W-x-20-D-Portable-Closet-G-2054-TVH1013.html

Finally, what works best for me is storing them in a chest of drawers. The 5 drawer chest can hold quite a number of clothes. The really old clothes, that I am keeping for sentimental reason or with the wishful thinking of some day I will take to India, I store in vacuum bags. I think they are called space saver vacuum storage bags.

KashmirFlower and SeekingMind like this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

SeekingMind likes this.
  5. SeekingMind

Is it heavy? We have one such metal one with all drawers..4 drawers.. which is really very heavy to move.
    We keep stationary, books and files etc.,

6. SeekingMind

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I don't think it is very heavy. the metal is not very thick in our almariah.

SeekingMind likes this.