1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

When You Planned To Buy A House In Usa..?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by deepthivinayak1, Aug 2, 2019.

1. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

hi,
    It’s always an hesitation to buy a house in USA because of visa issues.
    1.When did you planned to overcome this and buy a house ?
    2.After how many years staying in USA ,did u bought a house?
    3.What makes you to buy a house than staying rental?
    4.What difference you feel buying a house in USA from buying a house back in India?
    5.Will you move back to India even if bought a house in USA?
    6.how longs it’s been in ur own house?
    7.did you bought the house when you got GC or before that?
    (I hope this topic will help many Indians who are in confusion state whether to buy house or stay rental till we move back to India)

gknew likes this.

2. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for asking this question @deepthivinayak1.
    I don't have answer to this. I have the same questions in my mind and thanks for asking here. Looking forward for the replies from other ladies who bought a house here.
    We are here for past 3 years and my DH now planning to buy a house. But I am not willing to. Because of the visa issues as you said. So, when did you all buy the house?

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Most people buy house when they get their GC.

gknew, Angela123 and shravs3 like this.
  4. deepthivinayak1

Hi,
    Let me explain from myself.
    I am here in USA for past 9 years. We don’t have green card but have I 140. After three years of confusion n hesitation,we now booked a house . It s very hard to come to conclusion to buy a house here. Kids r growing and we r dilemma,r we going to stay here for longer or move back to India in 3 or 4 years. If so, s it good to buy a house here. After 3 years of talking, we finally planned to buy a house . While my friends bought house 3 or 4 years before without green card, we were very scared to buy a house because of visa issue. My friends don’t have GC but it’s been 3 or 4 years, they bought a house and living a peaceful life and kids growing in their own house. Now we think,we should have bought earlier. I don’t know when we will settle in India. But now, we bought a house and no future plans.

5. deepthivinayak1

Hi,
    May be. But most of my friends who bought house don’t have GC.

6. Sunshine04

shravs3 likes this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I have a lot of friends who bought house without GC. They have backlog and have a long way to go. meanwhile I had GC since last 4 years, but didnt have enough saving to do down payment for the house in our price range. So we waited and just closed a house couple days ago. Everyone's situation is different. think of buying house like an investment (so careful about where you buy and what kind of house you buy), you can always sell it if the time comes and move to India. Even if you dont move to India, if you get a better job somewhere else, you will move anyway and probably have to sell the house. So If you can afford to pay mortgage, I think you should buy.

Agathinai and Sunshine04 like this.
  8. Sunshine04

congrats:clap2:

deepthivinayak1 and Angela123 like this.
  9. deepthivinayak1

Thanks

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

1. When did you planned to overcome this and buy a house ?
    2.After how many years staying in USA ,did u bought a house?
    3.What makes you to buy a house than staying rental?
    4.What difference you feel buying a house in USA from buying a house back in India?
    5.Will you move back to India even if bought a house in USA?
    6.how longs it’s been in ur own house?
    7.did you bought the house when you got GC or before that?

1. I bought my first house on H1b although I'd already applied for Green card through EB1 and knew that it won't be a long process.

2. I had been in the USA for 3.5 years when I bought the house. First-year as a graduate student and 2.5 years as a postdoc.

3. After 2 years of postdoc on J1 visa, I'd moved to a new state, I received J1 waiver so I was on H1b now and had signed a contract for 5 years and knew that I was going to be in this place for at least 5 years. It made sense to me to buy a house instead of renting for the long term. I also wanted to feel like settling down and for some reason, I had this huge thing about owning a house before 30. I bought at 28 (close to 29).

4. I had a flat in India for a few years but my parents did all the paperwork so I don't really know the difference. In the USA, I did everything myself and asked my boss a lot of questions. He helped me with deciding on the lender and inspected the property before I signed the papers.

5. I bought my house many years ago as a single woman. Since then, I married and we moved twice. We no longer live in the same state. I rented the house out for a couple of years (to our friends) and finally sold it once the market improved in 2015. The rent from the house paid the mortgage. My husband and I bought our first house together in 2015.

No, I have no plans to move back to India.

6. I had my house for six years although I lived in that house for only 3 years. We got a better position elsewhere and moved to another sate. We've been in our new house for 4 years.

7. Before GC, I got my GC one year after buying the house.

To me owning the house was a dream. My first house was a small 2 bed + office and 2 baths but it was a dream come true. In my mind, it was the most beautiful place :). Our new house is 4x bigger and I love it but it wasn't the same feeling when we got the keys.