1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

when to stop bottle and start sippy cups..

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by mitsviki, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

Hello mommies

when should we stop bottle and start sippy cups.My DD is 7 months. I guess around one year...right?

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

mitsviki, my daughter started using sippes ever since she was 5 months old. however she still takes her bottles for milk. we tried 3 different sippies with zero luck. she relates milk to bottles and sippy to other fluids.
    so she takes water and smoothies in sippy but milk only in bottle.
    she takes formula in open cups but we tried several times with major spills and mess, so i think i will reintroduce cups/tumblers to her when i introduce cows milk after her first bday.
    but u can try using sippy cup. if not for milk,maybe other fluids? and if u are lucky ur LO might take milk in sippy too!

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

The sooner the better...

DS has been drinking water from sippy since he was 5 months old but he refuses to drink formula in the sippy..I tried formula in sippy almost a month ago and he plainly refused it..3 days ago I tried it again he drank it from the sippy for one feeding which is a huge progress..Since then I have been trying for every feeding..sometimes he drinks few ounces and sometimes he just pushes the sippy away...I don't want to go cold turkey so I try with sippy..I keep trying and if he does not drink it then I pour the formula in the bottle and give it..He drinks it right away...

So if you can start transitioning to sippy for formula now, then it will get easier later on..I have heard from lot of people that the more you wait the difficult it will get...

I am hoping that DS will be completely on sippy cups when he moves to whole milk in the next 4 weeks..

4. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

My ped advised that we should get my son started on using the sippy cup since when he was 6.5 months old.
    He's now 8 months old and he still doesnt use the sippy cup.
    But it is all my fault. I tried twice with water...and he refused. He didnt even know what to do with it and though I did put the spout to his mouth and he did suck, when he tasted water, he stopped.
    He doesnt like water at all. I dont know what to do to help him get started.
    Any tips/suggestions?

5. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

Hello

Thanks poonam , thanks curious gal.

.I have some questions

1) Is there any specific brand of sippy cups to buy.

Here in the US they dont recommend water but i still give my DD about 1-2 oz a day.

I have been giving her only rice cereal , oatmeal, with different fruit and veggie puree.
    My mother is asking me to give her mashed Dhal rice .

can i give it with salt. Again in the US they dont recomend salt.

i sometimes feel i am very slow in introducing my daughter to new things.

your answers and thought are welcome

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Mitsviki,

There are lot of sippy cup brands available in the store...Just look at the age when you buy one. I used this one for water until DS was about 8 months old
    Amazon.com: Nuby Grip n' Sip Cup - 7oz - Orange / Green: Baby

Then he started rejecting the sippy so I moved to the playtex one.
    Playtex 2 Pack The First Sipster Trainers Pack 7 oz. - Playtex - Babies "R" Us

I also bought some other nuby cups and other non-branded ones before I started using the above..so it's more of a trial and error thing and see what works for your baby...

If you are already giving solids then there is nothing wrong in doing water. At 7 months you can start dhal rice..You can add a pinch of salt but limit its use to absolutely little or nil..

Go through the baby food thread here on IL. You will get lot of ideas..Also check out
    Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Make your baby healthy homemade baby food with our easy baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more! and

Homemade Baby Food Recipes To Help You Create A Healthy Menu For YOUR Baby

Hope this helps!

Try to introduce new foods by keeping in mind the 4-day rule!

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

mitsviki, the bad news is,different babies like different sippies LOL.... so u can just get one say nuby or playtex.... and try. keep trying
    initially baby will play, bang the cup, act funny....
    what i did was i got 2 cups, one for me one for her. i drank through one, and made yummy sounds and expressions... kept trying this for 1 wk, soon she picked it up...

i ditto whatever mridusudha said,,,, u can give water when u give solids... limit it to 1-2 oz....
    salt a pinch if fine too.... we started adding salt to DDs foods at 7.5 months without issues.

cook ur baby khichdi with runny consistency.... initially use blender.... post 8 months we stopped using blender and started using potato masher....
    but u will hv to go with ur babys cues.... every baby gets ready for textures at different age.

sudha... my DD only took playtex from the beginning, spat out nuby and HATES avent... i started to realise avent doesnt hv those LONG handles like playtex or nuby... i myself dont recommend avent sippers to anyone!they suck!

8. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

my son's pediatrician advised us against giving juices or anything sweet. He said, I could give him fruits by cutting them into small cubes instead of making juice out of it.
    As such I'm wondering, what else can I give him in the sippy cup.

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I replied to you in your other thread...

Even I am against giving juice..But for your son to get used to the sippy may be initially you can mix water and juice...After he gets used to the sippy then you can cut down the juice totally...

Sippy can be used to give water now. If your LO is on bottles, then you can transition to sippy...Or else later on it can be used to give whole milk (after 1 year)

10. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

woow
    that is lot of info...but thanks for taking patience to reply..

i bought gerber sippy cups...ok i shall buy the playtex one tomorrow....funny that i had been to a party to might and there one of my friends suggested playtex as it has some valve that prevent the water from coming out....

also i am moving to india for about a year....i did already post this question else...nevetheless..

what are the thing that you recomend i can buy from here and go...i know you get everything india..but genreally speaking since i am going i would like to take some things...

Poonam i know you are into the gdiapers...do i need to take some diapers from here or should i try gdiapers...

sorry mommies if i have asked too many questions.....