When to start using ovulation test for irregular periods

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by desichica, Nov 25, 2014.

1. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I have irregular periods. I wanted to use ovulation test kits, but I am not sure what day to start testing after onset of period?. My cycle is irregular, so the table that comes with the chart doesn't help much. What day should i start testing if my period starts on dec 1st, for example?

2. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

If you tend to have really long cycles ie 30 days and more,i wouldnt bother checking before the 15th day.However if you have had shorter cycles i would start from day 10.

1 person likes this.
  3. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Also start temping (charting ) to know when you have ovulated correctly,since the Luteal phase of every women more or less remains constant.Like mine for eg,the ovulation date has changed from day 17 to anywhere between day 23rd,however my luteal phase is always constant ie 13 days after ovulation.

2 people like this.
  4. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your input. I guess I will start at day 13? My cycles typically go anywhere from 28 days and more.

5. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

I will start measuring temps as well, to get a better idea.

6. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

First you need to identify how erratic your period is. You have to identify if there is a pattern to the irregularity. I strongly recommend downloading the GLOW app from apple / android store and tracking your vitals using the app. The app is beyond excellent. It helped my friend conceive. Definitely worth downloading.

The app gives you tips relevant to your cycle and what you should be doing. You dont have to worry about complicated calculations etc. It will do it for you.

Highly recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  7. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

I am already using an app called fertility friend. It's not helping that much because of irregular cycles. Sometimes it is correct, sometimes it's off. I would think it would be more accurate for regular cycles.

I will try the one you recommended. Thanks