1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When to clip baby nails?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ptamil2007, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

When the baby was born his nails were very sharp and he used to hurt himself. At hospital they told me that not to clip his nails but moms can bite it off.
    But I am really scared to do that.

He is now 3 weeks old, I wanted to know can I try to clip his nails now?

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

This is what i did. With your fingers slowly peel off nail tip just like with the cutter. they are very tender and will come off easily with our fingers itself
    hope i helped.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply. But I am really scared to do so :spin:spin

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Don't worry,you can clip with a nail cutter if you can do it carefully.For my first one,I too was very scared with cutting nails.I think I finally got the courage to do it sometime in the third week with a nail cutter,that too,I used to wait for him to sleep before doing it.:hide:Infact,till he was 2 1/2 yrs old,I always used to wait for him to sleep before cutting his nails.This time,I have become very brave.In the first week itself,I used a cutter to cut my second one's nails,that too when he was awake.Now,I do it every week very confidently.

Don't worry,the first time,will be tough,then you will get used to it.Bow

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

That was very assuring sunitha. Thank you

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dont worry its much easier. Thats why i suggested you to use your own hands that way you will not accidently hurt baby witht he cutter. Good luck:)

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Pavi

Initially it was scary for me too but i did. My hands used to shake for the first time tthinking that i might cut his skin, bu ti did good job :)

Like Sunitha said, do it when ur baby is in sound sleep.

San
    [​IMG]

8. VijiArun

VijiArun New IL'ite

Like others have suggested, try to clip her nails when she is well asleep also make sure the room is well bright. Good enuf for u to see her fingers and nails very well...its little scary first time but u will get the hang of it soon...also instead of cutting the nails at one shot try to mock or imitate cutting action on her nails once or twice before actually cutting, this way...if it hurts baby will let you know before u can actually cut the nails...

Viji

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  9. Sahiti

Sahiti New IL'ite

I bite off my daughter's nails when she is asleep. Babies nails are very thin and supple, you have good control and can easily bite off. Then I wash her palms. I also have a nailcutter with a magnifying lens attached to it. May be you can try something like that. And anytime I miss the biting session and feel that her nails have grown, I put her mittens on so that she cannot scratch :)

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Pavi, I too remember using small nail cutter right from 2nd week. Do it right after a bath (mine used to sleep after a bath and feed) when the nails are very tender. My doctor too asked to bite it off but that was very scary... i was still cumbersome post-delivery. In Germany mothers use scissors that are used for chopping baby's nails (yes i couldn't find nail cutters for babies here!). Don't worry the first couple of times you'll be nervous but then it's very easy. Latha