When Moderating becomes Censorship...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Malavika81, Mar 11, 2010.

Do you feel Moderating in some IL sub forums is tuning to Censorship?

1. YES

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. NO

34 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Alright..
    Font size escape trick courtesy: Spiderman, the worst avatar picker. There! you happy now, SP?!:rant
    Previously I used to hide behind "PS: blah..blah..chit..chat..blah..blah.."
    (OOPs.. the cat is out!! :bonk) But got to agree SP, font size - Brilliant!

:rotfl Break the record, IndainDad.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I believe in freedom of speech, AND people behaving responsibly and following the rules. However, when regulation, moderation, and all those other -tions becomes heavy-handed and inconsistent, then people have no incentive to colour within the lines.

Instead, frustration rules the day, and the situation gets more and more out of hand. There should be open and receptive dialogue on both sides about these issues. Users have every right to be heard, and they should remember the responsibilities that come with that right. Moderation should ideally not consist of just crushing any sign of dissent or dissatisfaction. Just shutting people up is not going to get any of us anywhere.

I've experienced this from both sides (user and moderator). I don't like where we are now. I urge the powers-that-be to find a resolution to this problem that takes both community-building and freedom of expression into account. Sidelining "troublesome" members (some of whom I like very much) is not the answer.

LOL, by the way, at "Indain" - there's a thread here (shameless self-promotion) that may be of help, IndainDad.

3. kainaath

kainaath Senior IL'ite

good observation malavika....
    i noticed it too..but just wasnt sure abt it...incase i got " the red slip" :rotfl:rotfl

4. kainaath

kainaath Senior IL'ite

hey spidey ....
    this is a gud idea...but are we really escaping...
    let me mention mstrue here too before she starts :bonkme for not leaving her aside and giving credit to you only..

5. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Everyone, can we please keep the chit chat to a minimum on this thread so it does not get moved to the dark dungeons of IL? I opened this thread a while back hoping to bring this issue to the attention of powers that be. This is a serious issue on IL now and I want as many people as possible to voice their opinion on this. Please do post about your experiences on this issue.

Let us see if free speech is given a chance on IL if enough people voice their opinions.

True, when I opened this thread (I do not normally open new threads whenever I am having a bad hair day or some other mundane crisis), I felt this is an issue that needs attention.

I think it is better off staying in GD so people can voice their opinions and give their serious thoughts. It won't be taken seriously in Chit Chat and this issue needs attention and as many opinions as possible from people who feel the same way as few of us do about free speech.

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Free speech (with responsibility on posters) is the best case scenario.

But, I'm not holding my breath on it. Opinion voiced - Moderation only required for extreme cases by norm.

7. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

My vote is for "Moderation in moderation"

Personally I did not take any hit with extreme moderation. Yes, Some of my posts have been deleted, some threads merged but the moderators took the time to give me due reasoning and it made sense to me. No complaints there. And the few times I had a problem, the moderators were all ears, and when convinced they did the needful. Thanks to them.

On the other hand, there are times when I do feel like some posts (not mine) undergo more moderation than warranted. I feel, Moderation is good when it is done in moderate levels. So my vote is for Moderation in moderation. Ofcourse posters should be responsible too.

Another point I would like to put forward: Little sense of humor along the thread helps with the flow. And sometimes a one-on-one turns up in any thread - may be to clarify a point to one poster.. or just a little sideline yet relevant to the topic..

Extreme moderation might change the discussion platform into a court room where the 'lawyers' are 'required' to stick to the point hard and fast , be extremely extremely watchful on the relevance of their argument to the case in session. This might turn the wonderful platform to exchange thoughts as a family court.

As long as the thread does not take a total diversion, it can be allowed in moderation is my opinion.

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Ansuya, thanks for voicing your opinion on this issue. It means a lot to hear from someone who has been on both sides of the aisle :) I am also thrilled to see someone who believes in free speech just as much as me.

And thanks to everyone who gave a new life to this thread and revive it again to voice your opinions on this issue. Please do post your thoughts and feedbacks on this issue and it is much appreciated and much needed

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Malavika, I am glad to offer my thoughts on a worthwhile topic for discussion that you have raised. As long as we all stick to the general common-sense guidelines of civilised, relevant, intelligent, and well-intentioned debate, this is a discussion that will have much to contribute to the future well being of IL.

Your "moderating" comment above was necessary, and so a good illustration of why we need moderation. However, as Mstrue pointed out in her well-written post, it is not moderation that is a problem so much as over-zealous and unevenly distributed moderation.

I hope the moderators will see the opportunity here for a much-needed and vital discussion, and not look at this thread as pernicious rabble-rousing (although I do enjoy a good revolution once in a while, catering to my inner unwashed peasant).

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

There is a good chance it is looked at as pernicious rabble-rousing.

I am sorry for sounding a bit pessimistic, but there is a reason for that. I have been part of other online forums/websites on different topics and this sort of over-moderation happens in different places. Whenever the community members have raised such a thread like this one from Malavika in IL - the Mods have gone defensive in those other forums.

Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and IL will be a fresh breath of air, but having experienced online forums, I'm not so sure.

First instinct will be to go defensive.

But I hope that instinct is overcome and we can reach an agreeable consensus.