When Moderating becomes Censorship...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Malavika81, Mar 11, 2010.

Do you feel Moderating in some IL sub forums is tuning to Censorship?

1. YES

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. NO

34 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. IndainDad

IndainDad New IL'ite

Given the lack of freedom of speech afforded to people here, my guess is this site was registered in Mugabe's Zimbabwe or Chavez's Venezuela:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

2. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

As for me, I would never tell anyone that their religion is a commodity religion and what they hold dear is in fact everywhere and anywhere. I think it's presumptuous of me to feel that I know all religions and that I understand the values they associate with their marriage vows let alone tell them that I know better than them.

But that's me!

No we don't need a separate thread for this. I don't wish to discuss more.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Well moderators are moderators. And now, even the posters want the replies their way!!

4. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

Malavika, I request you to hang on here as long as possible for you. The perspective you bring to these forums is very valuable.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Sarma, when are you going to let this go? I think you need to take a deep breath and relax. Nobody is on a quest to attack Hinduism or Hindu vows. Somebody else quoted me to which I responded and then you took that opportunity to drag me in to your quest to prove that Hindu vows are best in the world. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, that wasn't what I was even talking about. All I said, Hindu or whatever other religion, all religions frown on cheating! And I didn't say NOBODY cares, I said the OP's cheating husband obviously didn't care about vows since he was breaking them left right and center. As for looking in a good or poor light, I didn't think our discussion was about making me look good or you look bad... rather YOU kept asking me question after question, and then when I responded, you freaked out even further. So I said to you, if you don't want me to give an answer, don't ask me a question!

As for having the last laugh... you have a very active imagination. I was neither laughing nor crying. You were asking me questions, I answered with the intention of getting you off my back so the thread could get back on track, not with the intention of having a few chuckles.

I get moderated all the time. Take a look at my profile where it shows how many times Sri has removed something I've said. So this good old girl network apparently doesn't include me. Not sure why you assumed it did.

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Me too. We need to wear the scars proudly! :)

7. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hahahaha you are too funny. I was laughing so much when I saw that picture. :rotfl

Eh, it doesn't bother me too much. I figure somebody needs to be in charge to keep the peace... soooooo the mods have to make a judgment call and like it or night I try to accept it as 'for the best'. Usually they do a pretty good job. But I don't like when they edit out yours and Malavika's humourous jokes!! I love those! :biglaugh

8. dharma

dharma Senior IL'ite

You said it right, Aruna!
    Though not an active member (when it comes to posting regularly), I browse most of the threads.
    As Sri wrote recently, I am sure the mods have a manual, which they are expected to follow implicitly. I am also of the impression that they 'work' here,purely as volunteers & not as paid 'staff'.
    Most of the threads, deviate from the main topic of the OP, quite often.
    I too feel, as you write, the posters also think, they are always on the right and their rights to expressions are infringed upon!!Why call it censorship?
    I wonder what compels them to post here, irrespective of whether this site is registered in Timbaktu or xyz.
    I go to so many sites, but strictly cater to the rules (call it censorship), they want the posters to follow. i think it is best to follow
    when in Rome do as the romans do!!

The basic human nature is to rebel, if a law is laid down. Many love to do it!!
    Induslady has made it clear:
    My limited goal is to create IL into a Friendly and Helpful community where a majority of Indian Women feel welcomed and at home. If that means our moderating policies need to be restrictive than what is in the constitution, thats what it will be. There is nothing wrong in expecting to find a community that offers absolute freedom of speech (as in the constitution), but I have to be honest in setting expectations that IL won’t offer that.

So, let us continue here if we wish to abide by the rules, they expect us to follow. Otherwise, it is better to make an honourable exit!! We will allow the administration to run the site the way THEY WANT.
    Regards,
    Dharma.

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Thanks ASG Bow
    I too miss that Mals doesnt post anymore in Rel forum coz she's too pissed off (I'm sure there is a British equivalent to say instead of pissed off :))

10. JordanRHughes

JordanRHughes New IL'ite

it is needed to keep the spammers at bay, but I do believe that all words should be heard or read in this case.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

jordan.