1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When Life Comes Full-Cycle!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Oct 5, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

velo32.gif stationary-bike.gif

"Let's do some cycling today" says the physiotherapist. I look half warily, half eagerly at the machine. Warily because I am afraid of pain and eagerly because I see it as the magic machine which will help me shed some of that excess load around my middle. I sit on a comfortable chair and perch my feet on the pedals, hold the rotating handles and get going. The rotating pedals and handles take my mind back to the time when I was around 6 when I first got on to a bicycle.

Dad running after me, holding the bicycle. This went on for a few days. Then like every lesson I ever got from my dad, be it lessons in Malayalam or Mathematics, his patience and persistence wore out. I know, I could try anyone's patience. Maybe I still can. My apologies to all, though it is really God who should be issuing those, for making me the way I am. Anyway, my apologies for being true to the way He made me. So, then, the job of learning how to cycle was left to me. I would hold the bicycle and walk around wondering what to do, scared to do anything more. :spin Slowly I gathered the courage to put my left foot onto the left pedal, leaving the other foot on the ground, to propel me, so to say. The goal was to get my balance without falling off. Yipppeeeeeee! I managed that one fine day. That was followed by getting the right foot off the ground onto the right pedal and cycling with half pedals. Next step was full pedals. Heavens! I can still feel the thrill as well as half fear of the first time I tried that. It worked!!!!! It did take a while for me to seat myself on the bike and cycle - I had to grow tall enough for that.

I am in Std. V. There is a marathon race announced. I want to take part. The P.T. teacher asks in class "are you all practicing"? "Yes, miss"! "So where do you practice"? Some practiced inside their compounds, some went to a playground and cycled round, and moi? I cycled up and down the street. "I practice on the road", I replied. This was greeted with laughter from my class mates. Surprisingly, the teacher (who was a terror) stood up for me and said that was the best place to practice. But alas! My over-protective mama! Would she allow me to participate? NO!!! :bang fighting0034.gif So that was the end of Satchi, the marathon cyclist. Oh really? Not quite. Read on!

The bicycle, remained the trademark of my independence. Came college days and I was freed from the oppression of travelling in a school bus packed to its gills like a can of sardines. I hated being dependent on anyone or anything. Travel by bus? Thanks, but no, thanks! I could do without having to wait for a bus which would arrive packed, the irritation of having to deal with rude conductors and unsavoury male passengers. I vividly remember two occasions when I went closest to doing a marathon within the city!

The first was in summer when I was doing a German course at an institute which was almost 8-10 kms away from home. I would normally travel with a family friend (a teacher at the institute) who went on a scooter. He had an off on Thursdays. So Thursdays I would usually go by bus. There was this one day when I was at my obstinate best and decided I was not going to torture myself going by bus. So much to the consternation of my mom, who tried her level best to dissuade me, I got onto my bike and went all the way to the institute. Fine. No problems. Classes were done at 1 pm. Summer was at its peak and the day was at its hottest. I got onto my bike and started my not so cocksure anymore, slow ride home. Whew, eventually I got there. Mom opened the door, took a look at me and gave me a glare. "Look at your face!" she said. Sure, it looked as red as the hind side of our evolutionary ancestors! I did not say a word. I could not! I was dehydrated. I was out of breath. She made me sit down to lunch - I don't remember exactly what it was, but I am sure curd rice and buttermilk featured somewhere in the course of that meal. Cooled down by that, I went into the darkest room of the house, turned the fan onto full blast and slept like a baby for the next 3 hours.

But did Satchi learn her lesson? Oh no! Young blood is never so nourishing to the brain. It allows the brain to make many more mistakes before it learns. So the next marathon was another round of similar distance ("I have done this before in summer in searing heat, so I can do it now as well"!) was the logic! not-available.gif not-available.gif not-available.gif 46.gif Some people never learn. Only saving grace was, it was not summer, it was evening, not afternoon. This was to attend a friend's b'day party. The results mercifully were not as disastrous. However, that was the last time such long marathons were attempted.

OH NO! How could I forget! The time I got myself a dinky bike in London and was moving from one hostel to another! I was moving from Lambeth (opposite Houses of Parliament) to Russell's square. Being a poor student, but not poor in spirit I put a few things on my bike - back and front - and rode all the way through Trafalgar Square on the little bike. I can't forget the look on the face of one bus conductor who looked at me when I was waiting at the red light, my dinky bike and my stuff and remarked "You are brave!" which in British English stands for you are terminally foolish! Mercifully I did not know that at that time! It was another story that that bike got stolen 3 weeks after I moved to that hostel.

The dream, however, lives on. I see the stationary bicycle as a good starting point. The Eternal Hopeful inside me refuses to die and hopes she can go cycling in the Himalayas one day - let's say the Valley of Flowers! How's that for a start?
    Then I can say my life has come full cycle.

15 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear as always well narrated. With your narration I felt I was also with you . Dont worry your dream will be fullfilled one day, all the best .

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot Vijima - both for the first feed back as well as for the good wishes. :-D

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi I never had much look with vehicles cycles or car. My attempts with them have always ended in disaster. My attempt to learn cycling ended when icycling at full speed I fell into a drain taking a PYT and her pomeranian along with me. My fall wasw cushioned by the PYT. Thjat was the good news but the bad news was that an angry pomeranian was trying to get its pound of flesh. I had a tough time warding it off. EI prefer to let my fwife do the driving. I could be a disaster behind the wheels.

2 people like this.
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Reading the title, I rushed to this post of your's Satchi and hoped you would enlighten me what a 'Full Cycle of life' really is since Cheeniya sir has questioned my version of it! I thought with Satchi by my side, I would be in a better position to handle his challenging question!!

Alas, you do not mince words. Cycle meant cycle for you!:rotfl
    Loved your energetic youthful hopes of cycling miles in the heat of the Indian glorious summer. Also, the description of how you mastered to wheel the two wheeler was adorable. I did wonder how one could describe the learning process of balancing the cycle and you did a great job of it with your lucid description.

As for me, I was hopeless at it and my sis who learned the knack of it all and even went to school on cycle was surely no help for my hurt pride. The dreams of traversing hillsides on a gliding bike somewhat came true after marriage and after two kids, believe it or not. Thanks goes to my very patient darling hubby. Not only did he run behind his daughters while they learnt cycling, he also ran behind me.( Another matter it did great for my ego!).

As usual, loved your snippet and best of luck with the stationary bike. Mine was used as a clothes hanger and has been since long disposed!!

L, Kamla

3 people like this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

HAHAHAHA. So u cycled yr way to a good blog i must say. if u had participated in a marathon, who knows u could have been a female version of Lance Armstrong, u could have been legstrong , who knows eh ! And in the news for teh wrong reasons, and cycling so fast, with hubby running after u.

HAHA

Me, well , i learnt, and remembered it till the end, and u saw my pic with Chutku, yes i have not forgotton, but now not allowed after the operation.

Superb blog, cant stop laughing.

Regards

kamal

3 people like this.
  7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

It must be a coincidence.......it definitely is a coincidence that in one window i read your cycling episodes and on the other i watch a video on cycling and.......
    well ....suspense....
    just watch this video
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_Lw8LJkbM&desktop_uri=/watch?v=_h_Lw8LJkbM

To talk of my cycling experience.....well i began cycling pretty late, i was in grade 6 when i started cycling on a cycle which was half my size.I used to cycle on one of my junior's cycle who was in grade 3....this so because i had heard "you cant learn cycling unless you have one great fall from it".And i tried very hard not to let that one great fall happen.But then it finally happened one fine day.
    Murphy's law applies: anything that can go wrong will go wrong...and usually in full public view.....i am leaving rest to your imagination. :lol:
    I enjoyed reading your snippet as it brought back some bitter sweet memories of my childhood.And my fav part from the snippet would be the para where you've described how you learnt cycling.That was cute....if i can describe it that way.:)

1 person likes this.
  8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good Morning...er Good Evening Sats....:).!

Time is a cycle too..and in this part of the globe, it's morning....just woke up and half sleep walked to the desktop and logged in - (my morning ritual) and I see your post in the side bar!
    What else can be enriching that reading about 'cycle of life' by our Satchitananda....
    I took a deep breath, sat tall and started reading....:shock:
    It's not Satchitananda post, but our 'samathu sakkara katti' Satchi's....!!:cheers
    Loved it buddy!
    What analogies....packed like sardines..., your face red like..., :2thumbsup:
    And the cycling episodes......put me into my usual nostalgic mode after a long time..:coffee

Learning to cycle......
    Earning a cycle through a Merit Card....
    Glimpses and Glances......
    Rushes and Races.....
    and not to forget.....
    punctures and falls ...

Feeling fresh after reading the post yaar!!

Enjoy your animated-smileys-leisure-050.gif

1 person likes this.
  9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

OH NO! How could I forget! The time I got myself a dinky bike in London and was moving from one hostel to another! I was moving from Lambeth (opposite Houses of Parliament) to Russell's square. Being a poor student, but not poor in spirit I put a few things on my bike - back and front - and rode all the way through Trafalgar Square on the little bike. I can't forget the look on the face of one bus conductor who looked at me, my dinky bike and my stuff and remarked "You are brave!" which in British English stands for you are foolish! Mercifully I did not know that at that time!

Ha ha Satchi! But this is not as foolish as attempting the same in the Indian sun!!

Did you know, you will Only see downtrodden and bashed up cycles in all the big cities of the world..be it London, Hamburg, Philadelphia or NYC! Becuase, the moment you chain a good looking bike to a post, you can be assured that by the time you get back from your chores, wheels, bell, seat, light or whatever is possible is dislodged and disappeared! So people are either clever or wise from experience and use only the so called cycle on which they can but balance and get from place A to place X!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  10. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl...
    i am sorry but that was really hilarious....
    So somebody decided to steal Satchi's cycle.....eh???
    You and your dinky cycle must have been really famous :)

1 person likes this.