When is the right time to start Infertility treatment?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by sujanags, Dec 20, 2009.

1. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Hi,

This is my first thread in IL :) .

I am married for 4 years. I have experienced 3 miscarriages and have PCOD. So, I am taking hormonal medicines/injections. When I went to a very famous infertility clinic few weeks back, there were many girls of age above 35 years (who have been married for 8 to 10 years and either they have not yet conceived or faced some complications in previous pregnancy). To my surprise, there were girls around 22 or 23 years too, who have been married for just 1 year. When I talked to them, I came to know that they planned to start a family but it did not work and came to enquire about IVF and IUI. Some ten or twenty years back, couples used to come for infertility treatment only after trying for some years but now it looks like everyone wanted to have a baby immediately after start planning. If it does not happen at the right time, then they lose patience and become depressed. Like ready to eat mixes, 2 mins noodles and fast food which cooks food fastly for us, we are approaching for this big treatment to achieve pregnancy and start a family.

Which is the right time to start infertility treatment?
    I think every girl should have some exposure on this. I feel that when you are planning for a family for around 2 years and when it does not happen, meet a gyanec. If there are any hormonal issues, then go for follicle scans/medicines. If it still did not happen, then go to a infertility center, enquire about the treatments and start it.

I think we should go step by step. Patience and belief are very important in every stage. Good luck to everyone who are trying :thumbsup !!!

2. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Dear Suja,
    What you have told is very correct, the fast food culture and the mechanical life leads to all these problems.
    But to me, all ladies should have a test before their marriage itself, like the thyroid test a scan to ensure everything is fine. to ensure ourselves that we are perfect. Even in my case i dint know any symptoms or issues before going to the dr just for a check up since i am travelling abroad.
    When i hear about Cyst is was blinking what it was, and when dr told me you have to opt for a surgery i was so scared crying, nobody was there to teach me what it was and all those.
    If ladies ensure that everything is alright before marriage or they doesn't have any issues with pcod (as it is now becoming common for every ladies), they can be in TTC for 2 years after marriage, then they can go for a gyneac consultation...

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sujatha,
    Good thread...

The time when people goes to gynec mostly depends on their situation. For me before the completion of one year i was forced to meet gynec to know what is going on! My life is still running behind this infertility. During early days, i never bothered about the delayed periods. I am paying for it now!

If your periods are regular, You can wait for 6 months to 1 year. Then meeting a gynec & have a preconception check up. If everything is good & you are not in hurry or emergency to have child, wait for some more time.

Lead a healthy life style. Eat good food & take care of your body to prepare you as a mom!
    Baby dust to you...

4. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

I accept to most of what you have told here Suja and everything with what Vasu said.

In India, especially when you live with your ILs, you sometimes do not have the choice to wait out till you are 26/27 yrs old. If you are married at 21 and no kids till 22, there is extreme pressure on these girls to go find out whats wrong with them. My cousin got married and visited the doc 6 mths after her wedding cos she hadn't conceived by then. She was just 24/25. So..Its very difficult to judge these girls who rush to doctors after 6-12 mths of married life.

Like Sharanya pointed out, If you do want kids early in your marriage, I strongly suggest there is nothing wrong in doing some basic check ups for you which includes PCOS, PCOD, Thyroid testing, Hormone levels testing for a women and a sperm test for a man. To Each their Own.

On a different note - Regarding your miscarriages. This is the exact same problem I had gone through without PCOD though. Have you done the recurrent miscarriage panel testing? Especially check if you have a blood clotting disorder. It is a very small problem which can be fixed by a simple injection or a pill a day, but it leads to early (* week 6-8) miscarriages all the time. Do check your records to see if this test was taken for you.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  5. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

This is what my doctor told about infertility treatment. I feel its right.

Less than 25 years - Try for atleast 2 years
    Less than 30 Years = Try for an year
    Less than 35 Years - Try for 6 months.

Once we cross 35, time is short and we should start the treatment at the earliest. Also if any one is getting marred above 35 as Sharanya suggested, please get tested before hand.

6. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

good info ... thanks heaps TTC sticky baby dust to u all

7. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Vasumathy - Thanks for your reply. I will pray for you as well. Hope 2010 will definitely bring us joy.

sharanya, blessedbbabydust, radha - Thank you for the great response.

I think now we have good exposure on this so we could help our kids learn all these when they become teenagers.

8. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

vidhkarthik,

Yes, I did all complete set of tests first time in 2008. Then I had to get second opinion from a different Doctor and repeated all tests again in 2009. All the tests were favorable to me. Even kayotyping (test which is advised to check for choromosomal abnormality) was ok with us.

Regarding blood clotting that you said, i think it is something like Lupus anti coagulant test. One of my friends have this and Doctors prescribed baby aspirin for this, she got conceived immediately.

I think we did all possible tests that were there but could not find the possible cause of miscarriages.

9. vidhkarthik

vidhkarthik Bronze IL'ite

Yes, It was the Anti coagulant test I was talking about.

No bicornate uterus problems for you then I presume. Since no problems were detected, I think it was just a matter of the wrong sperm at the right time. :( ( Again...My doc said this same thing to me..It is very frustrating to hear). The choices are to keep trying in the hope that one of the pregnancies will definitely stay and am sure it will for you.

10. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Doctor just said that it is blyted ovum, immatured egg or sperm was the reason for early termination of the pregnancy. Everytime expectations and happiness are doubled after a positive HPT and scan but when the miscarriage happens, it creates such a mixed of feeling of depression + unhappiness + frustration + physical and emotional pain, which nobody should not experience. Everytime I am also accepting that whatever happens is for good and still trying.