1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When is the Right Time to send to Music Class for 2.5 Yrs kid?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SudhaManimaran, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SudhaManimaran

SudhaManimaran Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old and will speak well and clearly. She started speaking very early.We wish to send her to Music class. But not sure what is the right age and how to know whether she has the interest for it.?
    As she is very playful she wont sit in a place for 5 minutes even.
    If we say to dance she will do it for seconds and run off. Same goes to Songs also..:)
    So not able to judge whether she has interest in any arts like this.
    Please guide me experienced Ladies.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Let her listen to music at home sudha. the teachers want children who can sit and understand commands.. kids at your DD's age are restless and have short attention span.

i think 3.6 to 4 is the right age for training.. you can check with any teacher in your area..

2 people like this.
  3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sudha
    I agree with Shanvy... Let her first start going to school and slowly by observing you can know her interests

4. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I too agree with shanvy above 3.5 years is the good age to put them in training..I recently joined my son who is 2.5 years in story telling and music class, but he is so playful and not listening anything..so I think we should wait for atleast one more year to put them in music class.Meanwhile get some good cds and make him listen at home.I used to sing with CD and he also tries to sing along with me eventhough he is not able to utter the words clearly but he goes with the correct rhythm..

5. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

I am used to teaching small kids carnatic music and from my experience, i feel its too early for your daughter now to go to a music class. You can however start introducing music at home and see if she grasps it. You say she can speak clearly.. so teach her sa, ri, ga, ma,pa , da ni (from any cd/ sing yourself)--- only one octave repeatedly. If she can sing this in a tune without lapse of shruthi in another 6 months from now,it means she might be interested to learn ,then introduce her to saralai varsai from music cd's. Let them play in the background whenever she is playing. Kids learn a lot just by repeated listening. Between 4-5 years of age, once she is used to a school based teaching environment, you can try enrolling her in a music class. Then, the music teacher will see if she can sit in a place and repeat what she is teaching without diversions, but this will happen only if enough training has been done at home earlier. Otherwise, I have seen kids beyond 6/7 who are very distracted but still learn well. It varies from child to child. Do not force the child to learn.. if she likes music, she will pick it up anyways :)

1 person likes this.
  6. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sudha for starting this thread. I too have a 2.5 year old DD and was thinking about when to send her to music class. Based on our Ilites suggestions, I feel it is better to send her after 3.5 years.