When Do You Want To Retire..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sumalynux, Mar 12, 2017.

1. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

A woman who retired at 28 with $2 million in the bank explains how she saved 70% of her income in New York City

Question triggered by above link...

Recently I was talking to a friend who badly wants to come usa for year earn money and go back so she could have second baby and retire.

One more ex colleague of mine used to say will quit job in couple of years and retire as she wants to stay home once daughter finish school and start college.

My school friend said she badly wants to retire and take care of family but she can't afford to retire next 10yrs because of home Emi commitment..

And coming to myself I always used to say I will work till am 60yrs.. Before coming to usa I wanted to work and was asking my aunt if she's ready to stay with me and take care of my son so I can go back to work... Later dh got job in usa so I quit my job and moved to usa with my 1year old.. Now after taking care of my son all alone from 6 months and spending time at home doing role of a wife and mom I started liking this new role.. I started liking the stress free life of managing house hold, office, wife role, mommy role and yeah sometimes daughter role too.

After 12yrs of working and setting aside good amount of savings in FD I have decided to retire and concentrate on my family...

So was wondering when do you want to retire?? Do you like working or given a chance( No financial Emi commitment) want to retire and be Sahm or home maker

anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Irrespective of financial Condition, I want to work. Till I am alive or able to work , maybe later stages only part time , or some non profit org stuff , but I believe i can,t stay Without doing anything . Retirement may look exiting , but it may become boring and lazy, I feel

Angela123, sindmani, AnooSA and 6 others like this.
  3. sumalynux

I was like you once.. Used to tell my colleagues I will just finish maternity leave and back to work.. But after spending time at home learnt Sahm or home making is no easy role especially having a toddler...

And home maker doesnt mean lazy right?? Trust me even being at home all day am not able to pursue my hobby of writing blog's and stories... Guess till my ds starts school I hardly have time for myself..

Also there at tons of ways to be occupied like in my case dh always used to criticize my cooking, now that I have time I started learning cooking now dh appreciates my cooking... I am able to spend quality time with my child and enjoy motherhood.. once he's 5 or 10years( I don't like leaving him in daycare at this tender age.) i would do something but not full time anymore...

Nice to know your views...Lets see what are others plan here...

4. shri0218

shri0218 Silver IL'ite

I kind of share similar views like @KashmirFlower. I would like to work as long as I can ..be it something where I can meet people and that gets me outside the house. But I don't have kids so I'm unable completely understand from that perspective. When I came to the us initially I did not have a job and it made me crazy whereas when I was in India (I got married and came to the us) I was mentally prepared to be a honemaker but after sometime I realized it's not something for my nature.

KashmirFlower and sumalynux like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Parents have to work to pay college fees for their children. Doesn't everyone have at least two kids ? And one has to educate the girls as good or better than the boys. And then only a mother can think of retirement.

I would like to retire in a quiet smaller city in Malaysia. Penang island would suit me fine. It is easy life, I would likely inherit an oldish house, that we can easily refurbish with new patchwork, and interiors.

6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Nice topic.. something i have been thinking of late.. i had a similar mindset before, that i could never think of not working, but after having a baby i feel that is not such a bad idea after all. But I was worried that all my years of education and hard work will not be of much value if I stop now.. so picked the next best option, a part time job.. now having worked part time, can't think of working full time and spending less time with my LO. I would like to retire or focus my efforts on doing something else when I move back to India, as my pay there will not be worth leaving my kid with someone else and going to work.

BeingSoulful and sumalynux like this.
  7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

If we are taking a break because of small kids it is not a retirement, Once kids get bigger, so much may change, that time you may want to be a role model for not only girl child but for boys too to show how can they live their lives in future. (I see my own parents after retiring, and I feel they should make use of their time better).

Research showed that retired people who rejoin some work did well with their health, than who did nothing.
    In my own case I have a auto immune health issue which can go very wrong if I don't take special diet, but if I am working from home I don't take care of it much, but when I have to go to office, meet people, sit for hours in meeting room I can't afford not to take care of that diet need. so I take care of myself well if I am working outside.

It is not about home maker vs working women, a well educated woman might be going out to help/teach/counsel some poor kids/women in needy making those people life better. Or do some hobby to meet people. even no earning are there.

If we women don't meet others we are totally dependent on H and kids for emotional stuff, which they may not fulfill because they are busy, and you are always there for them at any time, it may make them take you for granted.

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I will work till I die if that is possible. May be I change my current field, or switch to some voluntary activities. An active life style is very important when we get older. Money is not a criteria for me. Even if I win a billion dollar lottery, I will do the same.
    I like to have my own space in this world how ever small it may be. I like to be part of this world, not limited my "home " world.
    I don't want to die simply as my parents daughter or my dh'so wife or my kids mother. I like to have my own address or contribution to the world, with my name on it, however negligible it may be...my own mark in this world
    So working outside my home make lot of sense to me..and bring me happiness and satisfaction. I don't think I get that if I retire early.

OP, I think you are happy with your decision to take a break, I don't think that is retirement... retirement is when we are ready for ' vanaprastha' after ' grihasthsrama', that is after completing our duties as parents.. when we are ready to dettach..from every thing...in true sense...if I can I will try to help others through some activities after retirement...may be I am dreaming too much..
    Miles to go before I sleep..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

Will like to work as long as possible so that I will be active and can maintain a healthy lifestyle. Not to mention fulfilling commitments requires that. if not for money will pursue something that is my passion as long as I can.

sumalynux likes this.
  10. sumalynux

Dear dream

I appreciate your willingness to help people after retirement.. And nice to know your plans about retirement...

Yes am happy about my decision.

And no retirement doesn't mean ending all duties and going to vanaprastha or old age home... So above link 28yrs old retired and going old age???
    Wiki meaning for you
    re·tire·ment
    rəˈtī(ə)rmənt/

noun
    1. 1.
      the action or fact of leaving one's job and ceasing to work.

Guess you misunderstood my question and you are just advocating your decision of working.. So all people who doesn't go to job are not active as per you????

Just an example..

My mil was a college lecturer who took vrs at 55.. my pil passed away after 2yrs of marriage. She stays alone in her apartment.. I have never seen such a active lady.. she still gets up at 6am, finish bath n stuff do pooja have breakfast go to her mom's place help her do chores(mils mom bedridden) come back have lunch, nap for 2hrs then goes to sangeetha and astrology class on way back home pick veggies cook eat talk to daughter son in usa n sleep... She also does balcony gardening and meet her ex colleague relatives when there is no classes

We cannot say she's wasting her life or inactive.. she's Persuing her favorite hobbies and happy with her independent life...( We have our own differences:flushed::smilingimp: but I appreciate my mil for few things)

This thread is just about discussing plans of retirement for a women..

Definitely not a to or fro discussion about working or becoming Sahm/home maker..

Lets wait to see others plans of retirement...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017