1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

when did your toddler start speaking?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shebu, Dec 27, 2010.

1. shebu

shebu New IL'ite

hi moms,

i am clear that each n every babies show variance in their development.but still i am a bit curious in my daughter's development.she is 1 year nd 6 months now.most of the time she is silent.sometimes she blabs.and very rarely she says 'ammaa' and 'tata'(knowing its meaning).she speaks only these two words. i tried to learn her several words repeatedly.but she is not listening me.

me dh and daugher r now staying far away from our relatives .we used to go home town once in six moths.and less minkling with neighbours also as they r working. her social bonding is less totally.

pls advice me.what i have to do?myself nd my dh r enuf to make her speaking ? or is it necessary to stay with our parents at hometown to make her talk?

pls tell me if u had similar experience nd when your toddler strted speaking words(not sentence).i am a bit worried pls help me.......

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

u can get her educational dvds.... although we keep speaking n talking a lot to her all the time... she has learnt a LOT of words from these cds... we have the baby genius/baby einstein ones.....whenever we are out i make sure i point to every thing she sees and notices n teach her.... like now she points at the flowers n says "power", and star, moon, sun, grass.... bird....car, balloon, ball, bubble... she knows these words...
    talk to her as much as u can, show her flashcards,books, cds.. she will learn.
    everychild learns at her/his own pace, but ofcourse we always can make an effort to teach them!

1 person likes this.
  3. shebu

shebu New IL'ite

dear loonypooh,

thanks for the sujessions.what r d educational dvds?

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i have already mentioned them in my previous post...:)

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Shebu, My little one is 1.3yrs old, talks only 4words so far. We do CDs, books, flashcards, non stop pointing out and talking, but still he WONT TALK. I am happy that as a mother I am taking efforts and as a child, he WILL do things at his own pace.
    Not living in a big family and neighbourhood is not a reason i believe, take the kid out, point to various things and repeat the same words/objects everyday, she may not repeat, but she would observe a lot. She would shower them out one fine day, but do your bit of efforts consistently, happily :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Just because they do not talk does not mean they don' understand every word! My son had a vocab of 10 words at 18 months, at 20 months, it was around 30 words, at 22 months around 50 words, at 24 months around 100 words. Now at 28 months, he speaks in full sentences ... the speed at which his talking expanded was astounding!

What you can do is continuosly talk to her. Like say "now mamma is going to bathe you with the pink soap. now we will apply oil on your tummy .. or mamma is now going to make some orange carrots for you" etc etc. this way she will be exposed to language and words, and will start associating words with objects.

it is so much fun to hear them talk :)

1 person likes this.
  7. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

shebu,

even my DS speaks only about 3-4 words. he is 13 months old. but he understands EVERY thing! whatever i ask him to do, he will do it (go to papa, call granny, wake up papa, pick the book, where is your toy, where is tiger, hen, etc etc). he points at time to questions related to 'where'.... but anything else i ask him to do, he will do it..

im too hoping he wil talk soon.. cant wait to hear himcall me 'mumma' soon.. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shebu,

DD starting saying amma,thaata,paapa when she was nearing a year...but then she kept on blaberring...we do talk to her,i bought some small books on ABC,vegetables,colours etc...initially she refused to take...but slowly she started liking them and now everyday she herself would take the book,sit and keep turning the pages and talk to herself...sometimes she brings to me and asks me to tell her what it is...but sometimes she doesn;t like anyone near her when she is reading...now at 16 months,she talks amma,appa,paati,thaata,aunty,sorry,thankyou,ooooo(if its hot),no,her name(she says dittthi instead of dhrithi),chitti,some kannada words too(we are tamilians but from our neighbours,she is learning) and many more
    she keeps talking,we also constanly talk with her...now she keeps talking for everything...when we ask her something,she gives some explanation(poor us,we dont understand her language)...as soon as i return from office,she immediately starts talking...shoes her legs and would say she got hurt..many more...she can understand everything...even when we scold/praise her when she is not looking at us,she can understand that we are talking about her and shows reactions(shouts back at us or keeps smiling)....
    my neighbours daughter,8 months old can say 1-2 words,quite soon....whereas my friend's kids (almost the same age as my DD,just 1-2 months more),can speak less compared to my daughter...

So,dont worry...each baby has his/her own learning speed...few speak out soon,few understand things but dont speak much,they are learning more and more each and every day...

Stop worrying and keep teaching new words to your LO..

9. shebu

shebu New IL'ite

very thanx to all.

10. ReenaVijay83

ReenaVijay83 New IL'ite

When my baby is 7 months old, he started saying 'atthai, appa,amma,thatha'..I never used any CDS..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011