1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

When and What to teach?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by hs2009, Mar 2, 2010.

1. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies

DD will be turning one year next month and will be soon joining the toddler club. I wanted to know when and what do we start teaching her. Like what you started teaching your toodler and at what age? A, B, C; words; poems?? When do you teach them using flash cards, picture charts etc?

At present I do read out to her with her jumping from my lap trying to hold the picture book, I play nursery rhymes from youtube to which she jiggles!

What can I start her with? Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi Himaani, you read books to her and she listens to music and that's a very good start. You can also start teaching her animal sounds, like sing Old McDonald's and when you see photos of animals in the books, ask her what sound they make, and teach her the sounds. You can sing her the ABCD song to her right now to expose her to the letters and the sounds they make.

You can do activities like finger painting, I don't know what the weather is where you live, but Riya loved water painting in the summer and it kept her busy. I used to give her water in a small bucket and paint brush and she used to "paint" the driveway.

But the best way is to expose them to different things. I don't know if you drive or not, but take her out to the parks and point her the trees, letting her touch leaves, flowers etc. and point to her the different colors. Take her out to the children's museum if you have one close by, they have lots of activities, to an animal farm or a playgroup. Expose her to different things/activities and that's the best way for her to learn. Walk around the house and point to different things and enunciate the names, colors, shapes, of different objects around the house. Make it all fun.

I never used flash cards with Riya but I know a lot of moms swear by it, so someone here should be able to help you out with that. Have fun. :) I love it when it's all play, and Riya ends up learning new things.

Raj

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Himaani, we did a lot of activity based learning and not really bother about teaching, teaching. There are alphabet trays that a child can easily manipulate, play with the letters and figure out alphabets. We did show a few songs for children, but that was mostly to keep him engaged when I tried to take a quick shower or so :) so it mainly reiterated what he was learning by himself... This was roughly when DS was around 18 months.
    I did buy three sets of flashcards for K, but he never took to it. Used it more to suit his purposes. Then all of a sudden I realised he was using the shapes in the pic to segregate into triangles, rectangles, circles. I could not use flashcard the way it is meant to be used. I got flashcards again around 18 months, but he was more than 2 years old when started showing interest.
    Like Raj said, most of our activity has been about going to parks, working in the kitchen with amma, in the garden. I had a feeling my child for alphabets only when he was around 18 months old, so I did not really push literacy. If your DD is showing readiness to talk, readiness to point and ask about various things around the house that is a good time to start. We did a lot of montessori toy stuff in our home and now we use those toys for numbers. Agree with Raj, make it fun and they learn quickly.

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Activity based learning - this is such an interesting topic. But my kid doesn't sit for few mins atleast, always jumping or running or playing with his cars.
    But the best way worked out for me was - his pre sleeping time in the night.
    We bought some sheets which contain fruits,vegetables,flowers,wild animals,domestic animals, things from A-Z,Vitamins and its impact on health, body parts,good habits and Telugu letters, and Vehicles. These were very useful and now he can recognize almost everything.
    As a part of story telling, I am teaching him epics like ramayana and Bhagawata.......he simply enjoys them.
    Also I taught him planets,seasons,days,months,numbers from 1-200 etc....
    Stories about Spider man,batman and super man etc...(some false stories which contain action sequences)
    Apart from all these, he has a unique capability which developed on his own - was Can recognize any Car and will talk about its color,model and brand and sometimes features aswell...dont know how he got knowledge about all these. He is now 2.2 and planning to join him in play school by June.
    So, its all in your hands how to make them learn few things in life as they are beginners.

5. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Raj, Krithika and Priya's Moomy for your helpful feedback. This has for sure given me a starting point. Will now explore more on these lines and come back to you experienced momies for guidance :bowdown

Today will start with taking her to the lawn!

Raj: I am planning to apply for licence here so going out to parks alone wont be possible but yes we do have a beautiful courtyard in the complex to begin with.

Krithika: Will start showing her around the house and telling her what is what.

Priya's Mommy: Thanks for the idea on story telling of ramayan

As you all suggested activity based learning is soo much fun!

6. Swarnalaxmi

Swarnalaxmi New IL'ite

Hi Himaani,

I am new to this site and like to add some point to your thread.

As your kid is just 1 year, you can create interest in blocks building which will improve creativity and hand-eye coordination. You can also play some simple games like color matching, picture matching, puzzle solving.

Cut a photo into pieces(start with two pieces) ask her to join it, then increase the number of pieces, so that she will get interest in puzzle solving.

Of Course taking kids outdoor will definetly help a lot.

You can teach anything to your kid, but you have to go slowly and step by step.

With smile,
    Swarna

7. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi Swarna

Thanks for your feedback. Can you suggest anything in particular for puzzles and picture matching for 10+ months?

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Himaani, a lot of people think it's bad luck to cut photographs but a fun way to learn puzzle solving is to enlarge a photo of either you, your husband or your daughter and cut it into big 2 or 3 pieces and ask her to put it together.

Or take a photo of one animal or object she is familiar with, enlarge it and cut it into big pieces.

For picture matching, you can get 2 sets of the same flash cards and arrange a couple of them on the floor from one set, and from the second set pick one that you want her to find, show her the photo and ask her to find one from the arranged flash cards. Hope I make sense.

Raj

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  9. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Himaani,

There is no set way or method to teach them this early, and you can just integrate learning with daily activities and play. That will be the best way for them to soak it in. Mommies here have given some great ideas.

Possibilities of teaching while doing daily fun things are endless and just limited by your own imagination - involve her in cleaning up, laundry and other daily chores and she will learn about colors, objects, etc etc. Just taking them outside and talking to them about what you see is learning enough, it is such a joy to see them soak it all up.

10. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Raj and Sindhu for your inputs!