1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Love Language?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

What…………….? I know right? That was my reaction too. I come to a complete halt hearing that very question. My colleague repeats “What’s your love language Mrs.S?” I am stumped. She elaborates, “Is there a consistent way you show your loved ones what you feel?”. I am looking at her wide eyed and for some reason, this question fascinates me. My mind runs in a million directions in a second thinking of all the ways I show my loved ones what I feel for them, trying to nail down one consistent behavior over the years. I come up with nothing at that moment, so I mumble something like “Interesting! Never thought of that” as I move on. The truth is the question has caught me off guard and as I run into her later, I realize I am still thinking about it.

I roll my windows down, listening to the gentle hum of my car, hand through the window against the breeze, smiling after a quick and gentle yoga practice early in the morning. I remember the previous night, a long drive watching a beautiful almost full, bright orange nah almost reddish moon staying with us through the silence of the night. A lone star shines in the sky. I remember wondering if it was a star or a planet. The car has been acting up for a few days now. I decide to take it to a mechanic later that morning. He says he cannot take it in for a couple of days at least. As I stand there for a moment longer wondering what to do while sending a prayer up, his phone rings. He asks me to hang on for a second to get the phone and I begin to google search other mechanics. He hangs up, comes back to me with a dazed look and goes “This has never happened! The lady who was supposed to bring her car in 10 mins just called and cancelled! This really has never ever happened.” I smile, tell him that sometimes prayers do get answered. As I start walking towards home, I continue to think of my colleague’s question. I am surprised it has struck a chord with me so deeply.

I come home to my jasmine plant which still is giving me about 10 flowers a day very diligently. I pluck them gently feeling the sweet smell wafting through even from that distance. Both of us know time for hibernation is near and my mind wanders to the possible spots the plant could move. Crickets are chirping incessantly and a chime goes off gently every now and then. A couple of birds are bathing in the gently flowing pond and another going chreep periodically in a nearby tree. Now my dog is sitting on the patio enjoying the silence and the sound of the nature as I am! As I watch him, I am still thinking of the question envying him for his ability to express so easily and consistently.

The pleasantness of the day continues - the cool breeze through the windows, the breaking clouds allowing the sunlight to come through after having poured down some the previous night or may be early in the morning; the wet ground, birds chirping, the trees swaying gently enjoying the day even as they know that the time for ripening and shedding is coming soon. My dog, on a leash stops periodically at random spots feeling the breeze, lifting his nose into the air, smelling the air making noises, running ahead to another spot and doing the same again while I stand where he stands and hear the leaves rustle on the trees in the gentle breeze! You know, it is that kind of a summer day – simple, joyful making you want to smile for no reason! I am all smiles, it is THAT kind of a day but I think I also have finally figured out what my love language is and I realize it doesn’t matter whether others see it or not! What a profound question it is, “What is your love language”? Just knowing the answer brings a smile!

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:you had ridden reader through the woods when ochre moon was just raising up above amidst the chirping of crickets.
    I enjoyed reading though not discovered yet the precise language of love for pets humans ET al.
    Some Dews on my forearm and that chill breeze - wonderful discovery while in search for answer.
    Thanks and regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

Srama likes this.
  3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,

I am awestruck by the post of yours. You must have been related to Mary Oliver at some point in your soul journey.
    Now, come to the point, what's your love language, nobody could have put it right as you did with your last paragraph. Thank you and I am thankful that I came to know you through this site and I am learning from you.

Indeed you made me think too, my love language would differ as per the situation. But the feeling of budding of joy and how it bursts out at that moment is the same in all instances.

Love,
    Vani

knbg, Viswamitra and Srama like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, I mean Sabitha. You can't just go on writing stuff that goes over my head. It's not cricket. I know you are completely possessed by that guy Richard Bach. You make me envious. Why can't I write stuff like this? I am using the same Keyboard but the words that come out are extremely mundane and prosaic. I wish I can write about what makes me smile but I only end up staring at the screen! I know, I know! Some people are born with a silver keyboard in their hands!

knbg, Viswamitra, Srama and 1 other person like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful @Srama
    I am scared to even analyze your write up. It will be like disturbing a serene and beautiful lake.
    S let me say I immersed myself in that lovely lake and when I came out I felt just as serene as the lake itself. Such is the effect of your writing.

:worship2:

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    It is like a beautiful painting. I am standing in front of it and enjoying! Seeing beauty in every small thing around us.. .. You taught us. If something makes us smile, feel good... That is the language of love!!!!
    Syamala

knbg, Viswamitra and Srama like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

"What is your love language?"

The depth of this question helped you dive deep into your Self and explore your true sense of belonging and joy arising out of it. Observing everything around is hard (not impossible) but penning down those observations is even harder. We have to plant more people around you to ask such questions to derive such wonderful snippets.

After carefully reading your snippet, I explored my Self and came up with a few answers that may or may not be correct. I lose myself when I sing the praise of the Lord, watching people around me happy due to something I did, learn something new about my mind and its work, when someone points out my mistakes when I feel I would have never found out that on my own, when I see the unconditional love of Orion and when I observe that almost every insect, plant and animal contribute so much to the well-being of this beautiful planet. Then, they are my love language.

Viswa

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    knbg, GeetaKashyap and Srama like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Thyagarajan sir, thank you for your warm and encouraging response.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Vani, @girvani ,

Thank you my friend for always being there and cheering me with your positive responses - often I question my own sanity and when you say you gt it, it makes me feel I may not be that cukoo, if I am, I have company ;-) Seriously, thank you! As for friends, I am grateful too for getting to know you here.

As I said, the question had me thinking and guess what when it comes to my closest, my love language is consistently the same! I feel I have learnt more about myself. You know Aha moments can teach one, a lot!

Thank you again for your warm feedback.

girvani likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Really? You do know how to pull my leg. Thank you for your words. I don't think i have to tell you much about your writing - just going through the index of your very senile ramblings can make one go 'wow'! And do I have to speak of the responses you give to all of our posts here? If there is a silver keyboard you have it, even with that one finger typing you can spin such lovely responses.

As for Richard Bach, haven't read him or thought of him in a couple of months now, too preoccupied but now that you tell me, I am happy to realize that I do live in that world. Just a small plane going by, makes me look up heavenward and big smile automatically breaks. What to do?

Thank you for your words as always.

girvani, Cheeniya and Viswamitra like this.