1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's Life without Achievement!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Feb 19, 2015.

1. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Akansha1982, good one. I miss this stuff too. I also believe many of these things have taught Indians their resourcefulness. I feel sorry for my kids at times, that they are not exposed to these gems :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Wow!! you got it RedFlower. Haven't you seen such characters? I travel to Mumbai or Bangalore and find people inching towards the signal. I am so scared that I never dare to seat in the front. Always wonder why people can't form a simple queue so that every can move faster. No but everyone wants to be the first to cross the signal.

3. Akanksha1982

Sorry Vani to disappoint you. That was not the intention. I am sure you must have come across such characters. Recently, was talking to a relative of mine staying in the same suburb as me in Mumbai, she had paid 2 Lakhs donation for putting her daughter in pre-KG or something like that in an international school and i was asking her why you didn't put her in the same school as I went and she was like everyone in her neighbor hood is sending kids there.

In mumbai, there is always a prestige about waiting times at restaurants. I constantly hear people bragging about how long they waited to get their turn at restaurants.

Yeah people have a lot of stories to tell in India unlike us staying abroad.

1 person likes this.
  4. Akanksha1982

Yes Balajee Sir, you are right, looks like the US is also learning. Abhi to saheb, chor se dar nahi lagta, police se lagta hai.

5. Akanksha1982

You got it right Kamalji. Maybe we were related in previous lives and got connected in this life through IL. Whenever i talk to people in India, i am always lost. They have so many stories to tell about how they got what they wanted and over here i have nothing to share or brag about.

I was reading in news as to how one vendor in Delhi was hoping to pay less or no hafta to police with AAP government. It didn't matter that his stall was illegal and had encroached the road. Also read about people building in tents on government places as AAP has promised to build in-situ housing colonies for such people. So was wondering what will people brag about if things change in Delhi - every one paying their taxes, following lanes while driving, no one staying on streets or vendors not encroaching the footpaths, everyone following the rules - Just like US, it will be so boring.

6. Akanksha1982

Yeah kids also have nothing to brag about. I remember my childhood where we used to exaggerate stories and tell each other. We used to get water for only an hour or two during the spring and summer. Mom used to wake us up early in the morning to get ready and then we had to fill buckets to store water for the day. Having water at the end of the day was a great achievement and equaled a well thought out plan and execution.

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Comments below.

3 people like this.
  8. Akanksha1982

@Laks09 I am sure some sort of tab keeping must be happening at high school level. I live in the most coveted school district. So sure there must be huge competition among parents. I have a long way there.

But neighbors, except for one, i have none who comes asking for things. And that one, always forgets to return. Others we hardly meet (now there are 35 indian origin families in our close area) except during diwali or holi or now during the world cup matches for which we have shared the cost and watch it at one of the neighbor's house with potluck.

On clothes, i haven't heard anyone talking about it of each other or anyone else's. Most of our talk revolve around their kids and time spent balancing home and office chores.

No I can't think of moving out of the bay area. I love the place. Have never been to Houston, been to Dallas a couple of times.

2 people like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@akanksha1982 - Was teaching balvihaar classes for kids. Two little boys were arguing with zeal. I went to intervene. Ms.L - he's making fun of me because my Dad drives a Honda and his Dad drives a Lexus. That fight is still etched in my mind!!! These were second graders.
    I have a great neighbour! We are friends too. Helps having her around. We go to each other's often to borrow stuff like onions, dahi for culture, tomatoes etc.

1 person likes this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Akanksha,
    Are these called "achievements"?
    They are a part of parcel of life in India. For that matter every country in the world, without any exception has their quota of "achievments"....may be of different kinds. Generally when we migrate to other countries we start comparing these to our birth country....naturally.
    Syamala