What's In Your Masala Dabba Or Spice-box?

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Rihana, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What's in your masala dabba? What's in the center? : )

Do you have more than one dabba?
    Do you wash it often?
    Any stories related to the dabba?

If no masala dabba, where do you store the tadka stuff and most used powders?

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My primary masala dabba used to look exactly like this:
    md.jpg
    Salt in the center, and haldi, mirchi, mustard seeds, whole cumin, dhanya powder, cumin powder.

Took a nap last weekend and woke up, went to the kitchen, opened the draw to get a tongs, and the masala dabba is gone. Just like that. I wishfully thought DH had emptied it to wash it as a surprise. : )

Far from it. Child asked him, "Can I take it?" He nodded. No one thought to ask me. The dabba had my name engraved on it, I had bought it with my mother during kitchen shopping after I got my visa. : ( : (

So, I am looking for a new one. I figured a rectangular one will be more efficient use of space. But those are very expensive online and all my friends are back from their India trips.

Square Indian Kitchen Spice Box Masala Dabba 9 Containers Stainless Steel | eBay ($95)

Amazon.com: Coconut Stainless Steel Square Masala Box/Spice Container/SS Lid Masala Box with 9 Bowls - Diamater - 9.7 Inches, Capacity - 180 ML Each Containers : Home & Kitchen ($120)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have one that looks exactly like yours. It sits safe in a drawer and comes out whenever parents visit and mom takes over the kitchen.
    For myself I prefer a collection of small spice jars. They live in the pull out cabinet next to the stove.
    The online prices are nuts.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I got this from Amazon not too long ago.
    It’s not too expensive and fit in the draw next to the stove. I never used one until very recently. It was always small cute spice jars. This one is good though. I like the window. Used it while living in an Airbnb and now it’s a fixture in my kitchen. My mom never uses one and I never got used to seeing this! So versatile and cute! Not too expensive either.

Tabakh Stainless Steel Masala... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD0UDJE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

5. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have always used this! It is in our tradition for the bride to bring a masala dabba fully filled with spices. I took the one I got for my wedding to the US during my 1st trip post wedding :)

This spice box in Tamil is "Anjarai Petti" meaning 5-compartment box, but I have always seen 7-compartments and have questioned mom while growing up why it wasn't named Yezhuarai Petti.

I have these spices filled in that I use day-to-day for tadka:
    1. Mustard seeds
    2. Split urad dhal
    3. Fenugreek seeds
    4. Black peppercorns
    5. Jeera
    6. Saunf
    7. Dry red chillies (this goes in the center)

Now in India you get this spice box in brass and is quite popular.

@Rihana - I wouldn't recommend storing salt in the steel or brass dabba as these metals are corrosive might react. It is better stored in glass or ceramic containers.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I was attracted to the title because I initially read it as Masala Dosas :smilingimp:

Coming to the topic, I have 2 Masala Dabbas.

The steel one has all the stuff needed for South Indian tadka. The centre of attraction is Mustard :grin:
    And remaining ones are Jeera, turmeric, channa and urad dal mixture, chilli powder, Methi and Dhaniya.

The 2nd one is Tupperware Masala dabba and has all the powders, mostly used for North Indian cooking!! In this the centre one is Garam Masala :smiley:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    nandinimithun, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  7. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

No masala dabba for us. Only tadka dabba ( thalikkira dappa )

_dabba.png

8. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Mine is close. I realized that I don't use whole peppercorn as much in tadka and hence swapped it for broken cinnamon sticks so I don't have to break it during cooking.

I keep swapping the order and am not religious about anything taking the center.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I have one like this at home. Not so expensive. Doesn't take a huge space in the kitchen counter. Easy to use, easy to wash :)

This is a gift from one of my friends

[​IMG]

nandinimithun, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: My earliest memory is the one my dad’s ma used for several decades in her village in kumbakonam. This was rectangular in shape made of special wood with top sliding door. When family heirlooms distributed among brothers, my dad got this. It contained several rooms and i was told it is called in Tamil as anjala petti. This was mostly used only for thadka that suits south Indian cuisine. But later i used it for keeping cancelled postage stamps, match box prints, paper clips, old coins and pins.

Mother thru her chit fund scheme later acquired a round one made of not ss but brass that contained nine small cylindrical containers. Mother made some improvisation to keep asafoetida tiny balls that won’t stick to each other so that at the time if use, it is handy. ( there was no powder during those days)

It used to get tarnished and often required facelift by tamarind paste. As i write this, vicariously I get smell of sulphur hitting nostrils & my ears hard of hearing -hear the mustard crackling sound!

As of today the ss masala dhabba used for storing pappads of various kind and the small nine containers disappeared to some corners. When i asked spouse reason for abandoning, she said often water drains from her palm and ladles into the contents of dhabba and spoil it.
    A nostalgic feel fills me as I answer here.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023