What's In Your Chai?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rihana, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro
    As I read this, for a moment I thought am reading into @Amulet ‘s

Amulet's Coffee

But then I read somewhere “DH”
    In THIS FEEDBACK. I was confused. Because there is @Hopikrishnan a declared male currently very active. Then I rechecked name banner. It is feedback from female @hrastro .

I continued reading and enjoyed nitty gritty in preparation ginger tea. It remains good if it is always prepared by some experts away from home and one gets delighted if such a tasty tea served in right time by spouse.

Thanks and Regards.

God bless all beverage lovers at odd hours too!

Rihana and hrastro like this.
  2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

I meant coriander seeds, I have never tried with coriander leaves.

Thyagarajan, KayKuyil and Rihana like this.
  3. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

When a whole nation is freezing here I am in Florida in my shorts on this cloudy day sipping my tea and writing this.[​IMG] I am a tea lover. I can drink tea anytime. I will look for reasons to drink tea which DH hates.

I keep ages ago(when I first came to US as a student) brought steel copper bottom vessel on the electric stove and water and Wagh Bakri tea powder, grated ginger. Once the water starts boiling I add 2% milk boil nicely on simmer. Then I transfer to my favorite mug which was gifted by my brother long back using a steel tea strainer. Then I enjoy it with my favorite tea time snack bhakarwadi.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The tragi-comedy of my life is that most of my friends do not take chai or coffee. We will meet for coffee, she'll say I will order hot chocolate or something, and it ends up only me ordering. : )

Same here. I was making aalu-gobi-palak (potato, cauli, spinach) today. To get the "roasted" texture, it is rather a longish process. But I don't mind spending the time for this one dish. The solitude and reflection are priceless even under the noisy stove exhaust fan.

I am tempted to try it. I vaguely remember something like this used in our home for cold and cough. Just the fragrance of mom bringing that over would lift the spirits.

I remember that every 30 min call for chai... My mom used to get mad if it was time for her TV show. No VCR funda back then.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. Rihana

Hearing about Lasa Lamsa after decades! I googled it. Is available in Amazon for $17 for 15 ounce pack. Almost bought it.. then decided to let some memories remain memories...

I have asked myself the 'healthy hai kya' question often as I take it with sugar. Managed to give up chai and coffee too for a long while.

I still regularly use the steel tea spoon I had got when I first came to the U.S. It was from my mom's kitchen, not new, but when we went to the steel shop to buy some other things after getting the visa : _), mom got my name etched on the spoon, so that it remained identifiable in a kitchen shared with roommates.

Thyagarajan and KayKuyil like this.
  6. KayKuyil

KayKuyil Silver IL'ite

Oh gotcha! Going to try soon!

Thyagarajan and vidhyalakshmid like this.
  7. Rihana

Permit me to add a detail: Spouse clad in traditional attire...

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Rihana

I still have the steel copper bottom vessel from long ago. It is slightly big for one cup of chai, but it remains at the back of my steel vessels cabinet. Occasionally use it to boil milk on the stove if the microwave is under repair.

9. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Revereware ? Those are collectables. Pass them on to children in your will/trust.
    Wikipedia has an entry for that: Revere Ware - Wikipedia.

10. Rihana

Unfortunately it is more likely Salem Stainless Steel. : )