1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Whats in a Name

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Whats In a Name !

Well plenty. Shakesphere though did not think so, and said famously “ A Rose By any other name would smell as sweet.How was he to know how embarrassing names can be .

Yesterday’s local paper Danik Bhaskar had this on the Front page as under –
    [​IMG]

At Every Step the Names of these Villages Embarrass us

There are certain town and villages in Rajasthan which have such weird names, that the residents these days are ashamed to say tht they belong to that village.Here are some of the names as under, as reported by the paper.

Alwar – Jatiya, Pada ( pada means temperature )
    Bharatpur - Poochri ki Lota ( the mug of the backside)<
    Churu - Mingini ( the droppings of Goat which we use as manure )
    Kukra makra
    Nangu ka Nagal ( nangu means a nude person)
    Kankatta - A person whose ear is cut
    Chorpura – place where thieves reside
    Lula ka pura - A place where disabled reside
    Hawaspura - Place of Lust
    Chorgoan – Village where Theives reside
    Gandi Fali – Rotten vegetables
    Chui – small female mouse,
    Chua – small male mouse
    Jhoota – lier

The list is endless. The residents of these towns have told the state Govt to change the names of these towns for they are ashamed , and nobody wants to give their daughters in marriage to the residents of these villages !!!

Well jaipur is no different. Here we have street names of a different kind.
    Lalji Sand ka Rasta - Saand, is a stud Bull. Now Mr.Lal becomes Lalji, just as Kamal becomes Kamalji, right ? So Lalji must have been a fertile Stud Bull of the locality, and hence the street name, as above.

The kings here gave the names to the streets according to what was sold in the street, hence we have

Gheewalon ka Rasta
    Hladiyon ka Rasta,
    Maniharon ka Rasta,

It is another matter that no ghee or Haldi is sold in those street nowadays.

I had many years back gone to a Tailor of mine, a contractor, and he was getting ready to leave for a function. It seems it was the day, when prostitutes took off on that day from their trade, and danced at a function, of course clothed, for free for the public. And sweets and drinks are distributed for free , from the donations of the public. It still goes on, and I am keen to go and visit once, and take the interviews of the ladies in question, and ask them how does it feel this way, on this day !!!

Khushwant Singh, my idol once wrote an article, about the funny names of some people .He said , he was in Goa when he saw a board om the house , Dr.Chootiya, a very common surname in Goa acc to him.

Germany has Schneider ( Barber), English have Carpenter, Swedish have Bentkork England cricket team has some good ones, like Onion, Cook, Fast Bowler Sidebottom ( How can a side have a bottom, beats me ! ) .

Indian mythology has some good ones too. KansGhatotkach, Ravan. I told Dad, that u have kept all these mythological names for the grandchildren, Gopal Meera, Radhika and Pushpa.

And now if I have a son, what name will u keep Ghatotkach or what ?

Kans I would not mind keeping for my son, Short name, sweet, and no one can ever forget it. All I have to do is call up the school office, and say Kans cannot come today to school he is sick, and they will not ask me the class, or his surname, for KANS is enough.

He would be a terror in school, no one dare take panga with him, but when he grows up and starts working, and when the collegues pull his leg over his name, I am sure he would come to bash me up, and go to court to change his name, and change his father too, who gave him this cute name !!!

Parsis have good ones too, I mean the names, nothing else. Sodawala, Bottlewala, Bejan daruwala, ( a Drunk who is dead, bejan means dead, right ? ), the fellow has 11 rings on his fingers, and looks like he will drop dead anytime, and he will tell u your future eh !

Around 20 years back, there was a share issue of a company called Nangalia Brothers, and I had joked that this fellow will make everyone Nanga, that nis nude, and it so happened, these Nude brothers disappeared with the money, leaving everyone wondering, even my cousin got take n in in spite of my warnings.
    <
    We Sindhis a long time back had a strange custom. Suppose a couple could not conceive for many years, used to pray to XYZ God, that if we get a son, we will donate his weight equivalent of Mirchi, or Onions, so here is it of what the names of some of my ancestors are
    Mirchumal ( when Mirchis or chillis were donated)
    Bassarmal ( when onions were given, Bassar is sindhi for Onion)
    Bhugromal ( grams )

I was named Keemat, that is money, when I was born, but look at the irony, I was delivered at home buy a midwife, she was promised 80 bucks, but we did not have it, so a used imported blanket was given in lieu. What bad words she must have used , u can take a guess. And I was called Keemat ! See the ironies of life .

Elder brother was called Pitamber, then changed to Prakash.

If u know of any such names, that are funny, and in the fun spirit, please contribute in the comment section, and make the comments too fun to read.

KAMAL MAHTANI

A Wife to her Husband – You told me after marriage u will love me a lot, now u don’t love me at all ?
    Husband – Yes I said so, but I did nto know u would get married to me !!!

Attitute Matters

What the Ambanis earn in a Day,Vijay Malaya earns in a month
    What VM spends in a day, ambanis Spend in a Month !!!!

Success is like a Fart,
    You only like it , if it is your own !!!

2. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Keematji........... I mean Kamalji,

As always hillarious.:)

I am sure your imazinary son KANS might have rocked ...:rotfl:rotfl

Even I feel strange to hear such names.My daughter had a teacher in her school named Mrs Bottom(We used to call her as Mrs Bum).I should say she was very very nice and always cheerful.

3. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dar Kamalji..... Lunch ke baad... appke blogs... pet bhar gayaa....:rotfl:rotfl:biglaugh:biglaugh
    some more parsi sur-names... based on the trades of their ancestors...
    soda-bottle-opener-wala... yes it does exist
    driver
    guard
    bootwala
    toddy wala :cheers
    jariwala

well south indians also have funny names I believe...
    maybe some others can enlighten us!!!
    you have a great day... as you've made mine!!!
    K

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are many such funny names...............Kamlaji but your post was hilarous one with all the funny name.
    here some from south Indian names.
    surnames.....................they meaning
    Ullagadhiawaru..........Onionwalla that is a person who sells onions.
    mensinkai............chillies
    Sakareyawaru.......sugar
    dhodhamani............big house.
    kempeygoudar..........red landlord
    Just not able to remember the names.................hahahaha
    Can't write like you kamalji just giving you the names and it's meanings. When will remember again will come back and put it up.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krish,

Mrs.Bum eh ! HAHA

See how much humour is there in real life Krish. HAHA

these news papers regale me no end, some or the other article makes me smile always and thanks to blogging i bring them out in front iof u, with some past additions of mine.

Regards

kamal

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kelly,

Dont laugh too much, u may throw up eh ! And laughing brings BP down eh ! So pay me suscription for i keep u well.HAHA.The surnames u give are all good.Balaji is good with names of the south.HAHA

thanks fo the comment and good ones at that.

REgards

kamal

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Kamalji pranam phir se

I might just have a list of some interesting names for you. I had posted a list in the FORWARD MESSAGES AND JOKES section in IL a while back, that had come to me as an email. Here are a few from that list. These are Tamizh names and their English meanings.....These are all just approximations and like you had mentioned for fun only. (I kindly request all the ILites to take this with a light heart. No offence intended)

Doctor - VAIDYAnathan
    Dentist - PALLavan (Pall is in Tamizh for Teeth)
    Sex Therapist - KAMAdevan
    Marriage Counselor - KALYANAsundaram
    Nutritionist - AROGYAsamy
    Magician - MAYAndi
    Builder - SENGALvarayan (Sengal is in Tamizh for brick)
    Painter - CHITRAguptan
    Beggar - PICHAI (Pichai is in Tamizh for beg)
    Bartender - MADHUsudhan
    Snake charmer - NAGAmurthi
    Sumo wrestler - Gundu Rao
    Driver - Sarathy
    Attentive driver - PARTHAsarathy (PARTHA in Tamizh means dekha hua (approximately))
    Bowler - Balaji (Ball is pronounced more like the BAL of Balaji, in Tamizh)
    Dairy Farmer - PASUpathi (Pasu is in Tamizh for Cow)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. mom_of_2boys

mom_of_2boys Silver IL'ite

Kamalji
    I am a huge fan of your blogs. My kids kindergarten school bus driver's name was Mrs. Drinkwater.. initially we had a hearty laugh everytime I asked my kids to get their daily quota of water.. Vyas.. pls drink water after ur lunch..

Last week was the last day of school and my kid was feeling down that he would miss his school and bus friends and teachers. coincidentally there was there was an empty water can in our front yard and I told him, see Vyas, your bus driver is feeling so sad that the school is ending too, so she has left a can in our house, so that you can use it to drink water and think of her everytime you do and he was :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

regards
    shyamals.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, poor Dr.Chootiya! In my area there are people with very 'edible names. In one house a signboard says the residents are Puris and in the very next, the occupants are Parathe. By the way Schneider in German means tailor and not barber. In Germany people even have surnames like Teufel (Devil). Ironically you won't find anyone with the surname Hitler there.Both in England and Germany surnames are often derived from professional guilds to which the ancestors of the guys with these surnames belonged. Like Smith would have had an ancestor who was a smith and a member of a smkiths professional body. .

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,

Sorry for the late reply, been caught up in many things.

REally funny names and their meanings. HAHA.I am making a colldection of the FB's, and one day will write a book, from which i will mint money, but will not share with u all.what say !!!:biglaugh

thanks a ton, Regards

kamal