1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    I cannot help writing the properties of a lovely element, (I) happening to be a chemistry graduate.

Name - LOVE

Symbol - WOMAN

Atomic Weight:
    Always less than the neighbouring element man;
    Generally less than the partner and comfortable to hold in arms.:wink:

Physical properties:
    Very pleasant, loving, easy to get on with; but combustible if occasion demands; perfect companion if handled with care & affection. :-D
    However round, the contours cannot go unnoticed and never cease to attract a man !
    Freezes when prefers not to be disturbed.

Chemical properties:
    Combines easily with humanity, but still maintaining individuality.
    Perfect at handling with ease, the specimen called spouse, however troublesome.
    Always emanates, pink vibrations, the colour of love, even under the most trying circumstances !:tongue

Usage:
    A must in every household, the core of every man's inner being and the very presence spreading love & warmth in and around.
    Contributes to the income, unmindful of the thankless attitude from the near & dear.
    The very personification of sacrifice, selflessness, compassion, humility ; shortly the very oxygen for survival of a man.:2thumbsup:
    No man can live without it .
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
    3 people like this.
  2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri, I just missed another anecdote. There was a famous Malayalam actor called Sukumaran. He has 2 sons and he had named them Indrajit and Prithviraj. When asked why he had selected these names in place of typical Mallu names, he said that he had felt very obscure when he had to be identified within many Sukumarans while in school. He wanted his children to be identified immediately with their names.
    Both his sons are actors in Malayalam and Prithviraj is also acting in Tamil now and has become the heart throb of Tamils too with his wonderful and powerful performance.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nivedi,

Thanks for your compliments. As you have mentioned the names given to children in families, in olden days with many children being born in succession ( My grandfather had 14 children) the exasparated parents will name a child as Mangalam in the fond hope that the child will be the last. But, I know quite a few families where Mangalam name has not helped. Also, if agirl is named Meenakshi, her parents will have some connection to Madurai and if it is Kamakshi, it will be to Kancheepuram.

If you take abroad, in Korea the name KIM is so popular you can find both a He and a She named Kim. Also, they will have Kim senior, Kim junior to distinguish father and son. In China, the name Lee is common likewise. In Australian lab. where I worked the first name Dave (short form of David) is quite common and I used to get confused if someone says 'go and ask Dave'.

Regards,

TDU

4 people like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear TDU
    This thread of mine which should have died a natural death after 20-odd FBs is being kept alive by your sparkling humour! Thanks a lot!
    That psychiatrist episode was a riot indeed and I am sure she would have been embarrassed to death! You are quite informative too on this names thingy. Particularly things like banning of few names in Malaysia and now all these lees and loos!
    You have proved that just one person can make an ordinary thread extraordinary!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Nivedi
    I totally agree with you that very often names do not match the person. I have seen a crosseyed girl named Kayalvizhi. I know an archaka in a roadside temple here whose poverty makes his spine visible through his stomach being called Koteeswaran. Please do not think that I am making a joke of these people . I have cited their examples to show how grossly a name can mismatch the state of a person.
    About calling the pets by such family names is really heartwarming and new to me. We hold our dogs as one of the family but give them an utterly alien name. Slum dwellers are better in this regard. They call their pets Karuppan, Sivappi etc!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    That's a beautiful analysis of a woman.
    Who can ever disagree on this? These properties come out in vivid colours when combined with a really adorable man! But since it doesn't always happen that way, the properties become invisible at times.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Varloo
    You are very right about Prithvi!
    He has proved that a powerful performance need not be all shouting and emoting too much. His subdued performance in Mozhi can not be equalled even by stalwarts like Kamal! He simply smiles his way into every heart in Mozhi
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Oh TDU,
    I just the jokes and am enjoying them. Really nice ones.
    In the Tamil film Sathileelavathi, the dog's name is Sabapathy.

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Good topic. What's in a name. When I had joined my office newly in Bombay as a Typist I had forgotten to type M/s. in front of some company. My boss shouted at me for that saying what if I call you only Vijayalakshmi instead of Miss Vijayalakshmi. I got scared and did not say anything as I was just new. When I told this to my friend she was saying I would have told him you can call me by any name saying A rose will smell sweet by any name.

Olden days they used to keep God's names saying that if they keep God's names atleast by calling them they can attain some moksha when they are leaving this world. So they used to keep Narayana, Parameswara, Subramanian etc. and mostly everyone used to have long names. We kept my son's name as Vinay instead of Vinayakan added with Iyer, Vinay P Iyer. He was saying why you people added Iyer to my name now everyone knows I am a South Indian and here you get more preference for Maharashtians. If you had kept only Vinay they would not know what caste I am. Now a days they keep so many modern names some of which we dont know the meaning also. Like recently my friend's grandson was named Arrav which means peace it seems. That friend's son happens to be my son's classmate. I asked him doyou like the name Arrav. My son was saying like all mothers you are also asking, why do u bother what name they kept its his son he can name whatever name he likes he said.

I was named Lakshmi , my grandmother's name but at that time since Vijayalakshmi Pandit was famous , my chittappa changed my name to Vijayalakshmi. My friends call me, Viji, my best friend calls me Vijay, she is a Gujrathi, and all relatives Vijaya and my husband calls Jaya as his sister's name is also Vijaya.

Sorry my fb is too long . Hope it is about thesubject matter only.

Regards
    viji

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    You have made an interesting point there in your own inimitable style. Before I proceed further let me tell you a story. It is a well known story and you may have heard it too.

Once Parvathi and Parameswara were surveying Their creations with an indulgent eye. As Their eyes were roving, they fell on a wood cutter who was cutting off a branch sitting on the edge of the branch. If he finished cutting it, he would crash to the ground along with the branch and die. The Lok Matha was filled with compassion for the foolish man and pleaded with Siva to save him. Siva pointed out that whatever was ordained for him would happen and it would not be proper for Him to interfere. The Mother persisted with Her request and finally Siva grudgingly agreed to intervene but on one condition. If the man called for Him(Appa) when the branch of the tree crashed, He would save him and if he called for the Mother(Amma), Parvathi should save him. Matha agreed and watched. Finally when the branch crashed, our man called neither for Appa or Amma but shouted 'Aiyyo' and he perished!

Naming a child with a God's name is not enough. The thought of God must be permanently in our heart. Remember how Gandhiji called 'Hey Ram' when he was shot by Godse? One must be blessed even to be able to do that. Secondly after naming a child with a God's name, we should be careful not to call him some filthy names when he does anything wrong. That will only help us to accumulate our sins!
    Sri