1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

I remembered one more joke connected with names. Here it is.

Two people who are friends meet on the road. One is coughing continuously and the other is clutching his chest as he has a heart pain. Can you guess their names?. Well, the person coughing continously is called 'Aarokiasamy' and the person clutching his chest is called 'Irudayasami'.

Regards,

TDU

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Reading the posts prompted me to write this.
    Our family's last name is Narasimhan. My husband is called as Dr.Nara. For my elder daughter, the principal called her over the mike as "shish kabob":idontgetit: (maybe he had lunch just before.) with her first name. Otherwise nobody could have recognised it was her. From that day onwards her friends use that last name to tease her, which my daughter takes it in a lighter note. But for my other daughter, she is called by her last name by her friends as 'cinnamon'. As friends use the first name it is not hard for us to find out whom they are calling. As you would have noticed, both of them doesn't match with the original last name. We are guessing another 'food' name for our son who is in school.
    Even my uncle told us that a person named Raghavan has changed his name into R.Ghavan after coming to US.
    Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  3. Tamildownunder

Dear Sriniketan,

I enjoyed reading your post which brings out the difficulties faced with names by south indians especially coming to U.S as I am finding it now. What surprises me is even after several times asking me the correct pronunciation of my name they can't call me correctly. My maharashtrian friend Mr. Patki has changed his name to Mr. P. Atkinson.

Regards,

TDU

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Must say that this thread has turned hilarious! Loved all the exchanges between Tamildownunder, Cheeniya sir and others! Had quite some laugh:)
    Tamildownunder, you sure have told quite a few amusing anecdotes about names and their namesakes! I loved Mr Hyderabad's retort! And when Cheeniya touches the keys, what's to stop him from churning out amusing tales:)
    I kept thinking that you are from down under, but looks like you are just here, only yonder! So, how did you collect the DU to your T?...
    Keep going and likes of me will fill our portion of laughter per day.
    Good show Thiyir Vadai sir:))

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  5. shreyasri

shreyasri New IL'ite

thank u cheeniya sir & tamildownunder for filling our IL time with laughter. great to have u TDU at chenniya's tea table.

here, in arabia, we have strange names like 'funksatn' and 'bundhyan'. surprisingly, the faces seen beside these names are not those of filipinos or indonesians, as one may expect! those are the distorted names of our gracious indians!

while making out Iqama(work permit) and related documents, the names are written in arabic; in this process, they undergo some transformation. while opening a bank account or having a medical insurance card, the names are taken from those documents and written in english- at this stage the names are completely distorted : poor venkatesans become funksatns and pandyans are to be bundhyans.

vaah! the end products never look like the raw material.

the reason is, the arabic alphabet has no letters to match 'v', 'p' and 'd'(as in delhi). 'f' replaces 'v' , though not a 'v'itting, sorry, 'f'itting replacement and 'b' is accepted for 'p'. hence, the confusion!

there must be a funny tale behind the choice of the name TDU- why not elaborate on this?

wishes,
    shreyasri

6. Tamildownunder

Dear Kamala an Shreyasri,

Thanks for your appreciation and I thank Sri sir who inspires us through his thought-provoking, humourous writtings.

Regarding the selection of TDU as user name, yes I wanted to have a different name and since I am so fond of Tamil and since at the time of registration in this forum I was in Melbourne, Australia I added Downunder to Tamil. When I went through the Melbourne Museum I found to my surprise that some of the Australian aborigins were not only looking like Tamils but also were speaking Tamil. Later I came across some reports in the web about Australian tribes which confirmed that some of the tribes were from Tamil Nadu. I feel this gives credence to the theory of Ilamuria continent starting from Tamil Nadu and extending by land to Australia.

Regards,

TDU

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear TDS
    I should say that you have given a fresh lease of life to this thread of mine and in doing so, you hold the center stage now!:)
    Your posts are hilarious as in Arokiasamy and Irudayasamy, informative as in restrictions in Malaysia about naming of the new born and the Australian aborigins.
    I have read a lot of literature on Lemuria and there seems to be overwhelming evidence that such a continent actually existed. The Tamil speaking Australian aborigin is yet another proof but I always wonder why the Mauris and the rest of the local races Downunder are not found in India. It is possible that the Dravidians were better seafarers!
    Thair Vadai Desikan used to be my favourite too. In comparison Omakuchi Narasimhan has no class! The utterly, disarmingly innocent face of TVD is incomparable.
    And by the way, thank you for your kind words about my contributions in IL. Coming back to Arokyasamy, there was a film called Panam Paduthum Paadu released about 5 decades back in which Friend Ramasamy , another of TVD's genre, portrayed a Doctor by name Aayasam! It was a hilarious comedy based on which a Rajni starrer was released a couple of years back!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Sriniketan
    Shish Kebab and Cinnamon are quite original though I wont know what prompted the inventors of such names! Is it possible that your second daughter earned that name by resembling a Maankutti(Chinna Maan)?!
    In my early school days in Hindu High School in Triplicane, my class teacher always called me Malgova because he thought I resembled that yummy fruit. It was nice of him to stop with calling me so!
    We talk of people going to foreign countries changing their names to make it convenient for the locals. But you shouls see the way the north Indian TV channels murdering South Indian names!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    You should thank TDU for not only giving my thread a new lease of life but also giving it a humorous touch. Actually I posted this thread intending it to be some kind of comic relief but the initial FBs were so serious I didnt know which way to look!
    I always believe that it is much easier to reach people's heart through humour than with a stiff upper lip! Some people suffer from lockjaw and unlocking their jaws and making them laugh is a very tough challenge!
    Thanks a lot for your motivating FBs.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Shreyasri
    That was a very illuminating FB on distortion of names in Arabia! There is no V sound even in Bengali and it is very difficult to make out when their B which substitutes for V actually means B and when it means V. When Bhattacharya actually means Bhattacharya and not Vattacharya, Vivekananda is actually pronounced as Bibekananda!
    Is their any Bengali IL who can through some light on this subject?
    Sri