1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Ha ha ha. It is hilarious to read how your colleagues were called in SBI. I am curious to know how you were called, Sir? ( In our school days we used to call Srinivasan as katterumbu since katterumbu lives in sugar).

Regards,

TDU

1 person likes this.
  2. Tamildownunder

Dear Cheeniya,

Please forgive me for my over-indulgence in this topic of 'What's in a name?'. I remembered how names are changed with times. One of my friends by name Ananathanarayanan is settled here in U.S and I was surprised to find his name missing in the directory of General Motors where he is working. Later I came to know that his colleagues have changed his name for convenience to Anthony and he is now known as Anthony Ananathanarayanan. There are similar names as Peter Subramanian, John Balasingam, David Subbiah. It does not mean that all these people have been converted into christianity, but only have added familiar christian names for conveneince.

I remember two jokes connected with names happened practically with me while working at BARC. In the first instance, we were organising a training course for people working with radiation in industry. My north Indian colleague was collecting the applications. Out of curiosity, I asked him,'Is there any candidate from Tamil Nadu'. He replied, 'Yes, one Madhya arasu has applied'. I was aghast at the name although I know weird names like Maanankatti are possible in Tamil Nadu. Still to name a person as Madhya Arasu (why not maanila arasu?) looked peculiar to me. It is only after seeing the actual application I realised that the name 'Mathi Arasu' has been twisted as Madhya arasu.

In another instance, myself and my colleague were discussing a phenomenon of light emission from solids and I gave a rather new explanation. Immediately my colleague jumped in fun and said I have a new discovery. He said that since he was also involved in the discovery it should be named as GK effect (his name was Kathuria). One of our other colleague by name Seethapathi who had come mid-way during our conversation insisted playfully that his name also should be included in the effect. I just thought over and said, 'no problems. we will call it as GKS effect. But, only we will put an apostrophy between K and S.

Regards,

TDU

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  3. Tamildownunder

Dear Cheeniya,

Again on the subject of 'What is in a name?', I would like to share with you the news that in Malaysia naming of children by certain names has been banned. It seems the elders of Chinese, Tamil and other communities met and decided this and brought as an act of Parlimrnt. For example, one cannot name a child as James Bond or in Tamil,' Karuppasamy'. For more information you can read here.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Malaysia outlaws unsuitable names

Regards,

TDU

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear TDU
    You should have guessed it! Yes, it was Twist! (TVS: TV Srinivasan). My colleauges thought it was very appropriate because in their opinion I had the habit of twisting everything to my advantage! Unfairly though. Fortunately this name did not last long as more and more peopole preferred to call me TVS. In any case , these names were better than what my schoolmates used to call me by way of expansion of my initials- Thair Vadai!
    It used to embarrass me no end!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    I was amazed to see that press report! How can these people scuttle the freedom of naming anyone? Dont tell me that people with names like Pachaiyammal and Sivappi will be denied entry into the country because they bear names of colours!
    I am proud to ba an Ayirathil Oruvan. Yes. Srinivasan has maximum entries in Chennai Telephone Directory and I am one of them!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    You seem to have more anecdotes on names than me! I find these christian names being annexed to original Hindu names something new. In India a lot of Christians use Hindu names and Srinivasan is one of them. A classmate of mine in postgraduation was called Annie Srinivasan and many in my college thought I had clandestinely married her! And the pity is that she has remained a spinster till date and I am unable to prove my innocence!
    Sri

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    I literally rolled with laughter on reading your last 2 posts.
    Well for tomorrow's meet, I was planning to make Thayir Vadai & now I am cancelling it in your honour ! I cannot help laughing when I serve it & everybody may wonder what is going wrong with me !

Vish had a friend K B Sundaresan & he used to call him Kubeel Sundari ! That man used to beg Vish literally not to shout like that !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    For Heaven's sake, dont cancel the yummy Thair Vadai in my 'honour'. Your guests coming for the meet braving the scorching sun certainly deserve Thair Vadai preferably served cold. What else can be as soothing in this blistering heat? And if you serve it laughing , its a bonus!
    Sri

9. Tamildownunder

Dear Cheeniya,

What a coincidence! My nick name when I was a boy was also 'Thayir Vadai' since there was a comedy actor in Tamil films by name 'Thayir Vadai Desikan'. I was so thin like him, I got that name.

Regards,

TDU

10. Tamildownunder

Dear Cheeniya,

I would like point out one correction to what you say 'will be denied entry into the country'. The Malaysian act is for only naming the newborns and especially when they register the births. If one does not register the birth or do not want a birth certificate, they can name babies as they wish. To some extent I agree with them. Parents while naming babies should consider the future also. What if a baby girl is named as Abhayakuchalambal, the girl will be highly embarassed in later years and may wish her parents have named her with better short and sweet names.

Regards,

TDU