1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 4, 2007.

1. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shreyasri and Manjureddy,

Lovely replies from both of you ladies.

And thanks to Cheeniya too for this thread

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey Manju, Manju, Manjuuuu!!!

It is early morning here and the whole day awaits me...well, not me, but my activities: house chores, cooking, cleaning, etc etc. My tea is yet to brew...so, a bad time o log into IL! BUT, I read your post in my email and involuntarily logged in...this simply had to be acknowledged:)

Manju...dear...You have an acute, ascerbic, fine sense of humor! I was grinning and smiling from ear to ear on reading this rejoinder of yours! My day has started off with the twinkle of laughter, the day should be just fine:)

Why are you so stingy with your posts Manju?? Do be more generous and bring your sunshiny rays in our direction more often. I jusss luv 'em:)

Your's lovingly....Kamla, a Me by any name:)

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya
    I have an island in the Sun. You are most welcome to be my guest on your this or any vacation!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Manju
    So you are the Juliet reborn defending with gusto your thoughtless statement centuries back? It is alright for you to make little of a serious subject because you have been christened with a lovely name that will stand the test of time but just have a heart for the unfortunate guys who bear names that hardly do justice to what they are!
    They say that old order changeth giving place to new and as you predict Kool Kuch must come back soon! As a man who has completed the entire cycle of years from Chitrabhanu, I see the names getting repeated! I know that Aish should one day make way for Kool Kuch!
    As regards the mighty Khans, I dont think that there is as much scope for shuffling their names around as Hindus because they dont have all the Sahasranamams that we have! And in any case , just as I cant differentiate one chinese face from the other, I consider all Khans the same.
    Sri

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

dear Cheeniya,
    Just to clarify....the V does stand for my hubby's name, which is like u said Victory! But the Nara......., happens to be my husband's surname( in other words my FIL's name!...all due to our migration here , that i have been changing my surnames !:cry: )
    But am i glad that i did not have to change my fisrt name too ......thank god for small mercies! :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  6. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

I feel that you cannot just brush away saying 'what is in a name?'. I have lot of predicaments spelling my name here abroad. My full name is Ganesan Ramanathan and it takes several minutes spelling my name over the phone. I am made to recite like a KG kid, R for rose, A for apple etc. There is one other thing in naming. When I was young the tendency in Tamil nadu to have the father's name as initial followed by the given name. Later, it has been changed to given name first followed by father's name. For example, now my name would be Ramanathan Ganesan. I have another complication. As is the custom in our family like in many families the grandson is named after the grandfather. So, my son was named as Ganesan and he has to have my name following. So, he is also Ganesan Ramanathan. We just decided to have a solution to this. So, he was named Ganesh and not Ganesan. So, he is now Ganesh Ramanathan. Incidentally, I remembered a joke connected with names. Here it goes.

In a class, the teacher wants to find out how the students have been named. So, she asks the students to tell one by one first their father's name followed by their name. First student gets up and says 'My father's name is Palaniaapa and my name is Palani'. The second student says 'My father's name is Rajappa and my name is Raja'. This goes on with fathers' names as Krishnappa and son's name as Krishna etc. The teacher gets annoyed and says,' what you people have no imagination in naming. First you name the father with appa and then remove that appa and name the son with the other part'. She then turns to a christian student. He says,' My father's name is John'. The teacher is happy as there is no appa. He then says,' My name is Johnson'.

Regards,

TDU

1 person likes this.
  7. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

It is a nice topic 'What is in a name?'. Having worked in various offices and with varied people I have come across only Tamils using abbreviated names like GR (Ganesan Ramanathan) ,PR,PNK,GS,PG etc. In Tamil cine field only M.G. Ramachandran was abbreviated and called as M.G.R, Shivaji Ganesan was not called S.G nor Gemini Ganesan called G.G. Incidentally I also qualify to be called as M.G.R since Madurai is my birth place. Another joke connected with names came to my mind. It goes like this.

In Mumbai, in an advocates office the Tamil assistant is taking down the details of a north Indian client. He asks the client, 'Waht is you grandfather's name?'. The client tells 'Allahabad'. The assistant is surprised. he again asks ,'what is your father's name?'. The client replies,'Ahemedabad'. The exasperated assistant asks him finally,'what is your name?'. The client replies,' Hyderabad'. The assistant says, 'What you people have given cities' names to people?'. The client replies,' when you tamils name people as Palani, Thirupathi, Chidambaram etc. why not we?'.

Regards,
    TDU

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear MGR (he he he) Tamil,
    That was hilarious.....the appas and sons....i guess this is universal....but had a hearty laugh.....thanks for sharing here!

9. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    Thanks for those two hilarious jokes! The cycle of names repeating themselves is quite common as you say. It is really mindboggling in Chettinad. You would even think that there are just about twenty names doing the rounds for centuries. Even they seem to be coming out of this great obssession these days.
    Talking of naming children after the cities they belong to, I used to have a colleague by name, R C Bangalore! Among North Indians you have many tagging their town names like Ajmiri, Ludhianawi etc
    But I can understand the problem you might be having Down Under! I remember a Naukri. com ad doing the rounds now in which a subordinate grabs the phone from his boss and spells his boss' name thus:
    H for Hitler, A for Arrogant, R for Rascal and I for Idiot!
    He could afford to do that because Naukri. com has fixed him in a nice new job!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    During my State Bank days, we had a system of calling our colleagues by a short name based on their initials' It is like this:
    T R Ramasamy (TRR) : Terror
    KS Ranganathan (KSR) : Kaiser
    R.Santhanam (RS): Arson
    And so on
    Sri