1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's In A Name?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 11, 2016.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

"Satchi". My user ID. It has now become a name often used by friends from IL who meet me personally even though they know my real name. In fact they vacillate between my actual name as well as Satchi. Initially it felt strange to hear myself being called by that name, though now I have grown used to it. :)

I have often mentioned how that user ID got me thrown out of IL initially. I suddenly felt the need to indulge my need to let others know my opinion on various subjects and posted many threads and FBs (80+) within a week of joining. The topics included controversial ones - I am no stranger to such subjects, eh! The mods grew suspicious. "Who is this troll?" they wondered. A baba rampaging on IL among women? What is going on? So I found that I could not log in anymore.

Sad. "Satchitananda" is the nature of the Atma. Why should the name be a male prerogative only? "What made you choose this name" asked some friends. Actually, the fact was I wanted a name which was anonymous so I could vent my feelings, opinions etc. honestly here. I tried to think of a name which would describe who or what I was. I could not. "Who am I?" I kept asking myself. Years of attending Vedanta classes brought back this single name repeatedly. So that was it. I was sat-chit-ananda, Atma swaroopa Satchi. This short form was the only way I could avoid sounding bumptious or male!

In really life, my surname gives away my origins. "She is not really South Indian" someone commented at work the other day. The institute where I work is full of Maharashtrians and I feel at home amongst them and they with me. (Not that my South Indian friends don't. Just clarifying for the records!) "We should change her name" someone said. I already had two names in my head which I could offer them as plausible alternatives. One was Ms. Dhadpade - for a person whose centre of gravity is somewhat confused, someone who has often (starting from childhood) confused herself for a ball (the fact that she was physically similar did not help correct her frame of reference) and preferred to roll rather than walk. The word 'dhadpad' in Marathi means the constant tripping up, agitation ...... Coming to tripping up, "Tripper" would be a rather misleading one given its American connotations! So I'd have to be careful.

The other one was Ms. Adave (meaning horizontal) given the fact that this is the state in which she now finds herself for the better part of the day. Maybe I could have used one of these?

Or how about Chandra? I just thought up that one. It seems so apt to the waxing and waning that goes on in my physical self! I need no excuse to gain weight and only a small one to lose. So that name would suit me to the "tee". But wait, no. A current soap on telly has a very negative character called "Chandramani" - a dark force. I would probably also run the risk of being confused for an alien - ask Youtubers. They are sure and provide proofs for aliens on the moon too. There is also a view that the moon is not a natural body but an electromagnetic device put up there by aliens to keep an eye on us!!! I feel so let down! What were all those little songs about the moon moms sing to us when we are little? What about all that magnetic attraction we feel towards the moon as we are growing up? Oh well...never mind! What's in a name?

Having done my job of boring the wits out of all of you for today, I shall rest content to sign off as ..... Satchi.

knbg, vaidehi71, umaakumar and 8 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear have become used to your name , you always give anandam to everyone with your humerous posts. Will come back later

satchitananda, sindmani and jskls like this.
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ms Confucius you are :)

Sat/Sit in a Chit/Chat and there is Ananda :)

4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I randomly wonder sometimes about this nickname of yours. Its fun imagining and putting a face, especially to someone who goes by this intriguing nickname, that breaks the gender rules! :) Having read and observed your feedbacks for long, I think it suits your virtual persona here. We love 'Satchi' annnd not just the name! ;)

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Everytime ,even after so many days, I imagine Satchitananda to be a man, as it is normally associated with, though the literary meaning refers to some great abstract thing rarely attainable.We had five or 6 men with the name in our office, and all were addressed as Satchi-1.2 like that according to seniority.
    Normally Satchi or Satchu is a short name for Saraswathi in Tamilnadu.

jayasala 42

satchitananda likes this.
  6. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi @satchitananda ,

There is so much in a name. How one is addressed by the other defines the translations between two human beings. That is the reason, every protocol defines and give importance to the way in which a person is addressed. For example A Dr.S.Subramanian can be addressed in so many ways like
    Your Excellency
    Your Honour
    Dr,
    Sir,
    Mr. Subramanian
    Subbu,
    Subbudu,
    Mani
    Subbuni,
    Hey,
    Hello,
    Darling etc;

depending on the person and circumstances, which define the relationship between Dr. Subramanian and the other. It creates havoc in human relations if wrong address is used in context with the status, circumstances and relationship!!

Satchitananda'- is a beautiful essence of our Philosophy. If 'Satchi' brings that concept to our dear Satchitananda, then 'Satchi' is beautiful too, dear Satchi!

vaidehi71 and satchitananda like this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice write-up Satchi. So much thought process behind pickng a name. Naming a child was initially easy. Just look through the phone book based on star. But now it takes more than 9 months to get to namng their children. Initially I too mistook you for a male member. Satchi is more feminine.

I wish I had this insight while I created this userid. All I did was use a long forgotten email id. Now I cant add any vowels to my username ....

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchidananda/Satchi /Dhadpade /Adave. I am not surprised that you got chucked out for controversial topics. IL is still conservative and does not even allow use of scatological expressions. But if I remember well, you also used your real name for a short period here. Or is there some other ILite with the same name here?

9. satchitananda

Thanks Vijima. :)

10. satchitananda

Wow, never thought of that one! :roflmao:

GoogleGlass likes this.