1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Whats for dinner today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Enna Sathya idhu
    Aniyayam dhan engiren
    Oru nalaikku dhan kettom sappattu enna vendru
    Oru varathukku vendiyathai sonnal
    Ondiyaga samayalaraiyil alaiginra nangal (NRI'gal!)
    Ithanai vidhangal samaipadhendral
    Poga vendiyadhudhan meendum
    India vai thedikondu
    Mukkiyamaga Pudukottaikku;)

Anbudan...Kamla

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey gals,

Looks like erissery with cauli seems to be a hit...hmm...See, that's why this thread is useful...the boring c-flower gets all dressed up as Mallu this time and is prettied up...how many alu-gobis can a man/woman eat?!
    No problems Vidya, you are not alone. It gets really uninteresting here some days. And then there are leftovers to attend to....
    So, today's lunch was karamani gashi (yummy), collard greens keerai-a simple dry keerai, pappads and rice and dahi...the last two are staple!
    Well, I have a line of leftovers in the fridge and we will mop it all off tonite with some phulkas!

Oh yes...must mention. Ramanavami was a simple but satisfying puja in the evening and I made Vadapappu/Kosumbri/kosemalli and kalakand because both are done in a jiffy.

L, Kamla

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Sathya, Loved your poem today with all those yummy dishes.
    Kamla, a budding poet in you emerging now? Loved your verses in response to Sathya.
    The Cauliflower eriserri came out well. I ate it just like that. Yummy!!.

Today's dinner is vendakai venthayakuzhambu and kothavarai paruppu usli.

For Ramamnavami , made just neer mor and panagam . Thats it.

Ok gals see you soon .

Vandhana

4. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hello lovely ladies,

Lastnight was tomato rice which was a disaster since I tried something new in my usual recipe, applied some pacth for it and made it eatable :2thumbsup: and had it with potato roast and omlette.

Tonight vathakulambu, cabbage poriyal for DH and grilled burger for myself.. yummy!! And for the first time today I bought avacado and made guacamole. Had it in the evening with tortilla chips.

Have a great day & night ladies!!!

:mrgreen:

5. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

hi ladies,

Well 4 dinner tonight, as per my fiance's request it's masala dosa, sambhar , coconut chutney and rice, so that's me spending the evening in the kitchen! anyone know a different way of making dosas? tired of the same ones over and over, suggestions are welcomed.

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishana,

Well well, you seem to be well aware that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach:)

As for 'different way of making dosa', please check out the cookery columns in this site. Chitvish has given various varieties of dosas, check out her Recipe Index.

L, Kamla

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

kamalavukkum
    vandanavukkum
    pidithatho
    karpanai samayal..
    paarkavillaya kadaisee
    varigal
    yaarum veettil illadadal
    karpanai samayalukku
    gas aduppu ethukku?.......

inru appadi illai
    super dosai
    thinga thinga dosaiyaam
    murungakeerai minji irukka...
    dosai maavum araithuvaikka
    chee murungakeerai kootudan dosaiya
    ninaithamattil....

tomato onru mixiyil araithu
    konjam milagu jeeragam serthu
    murungakeeraiyay
    alasi eduthu podi podiya narukki...
    maavudan kalandhu
    vaarthen.. thottu kolla
    podi podiya narukkiya thirukkatla katharikka curry..

mor saadam ooriya vadu maanga
    illamal eppadi ?
    rusithathe..saappadu..
    pidithatha ungalukku?

sathya

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sathya,

Vay ellam rombu oorudu, rombavum ruchiyana menu than. Naan udane varugeeran pudukottaiku, murungakeerai dosai and maavadu udan mor sadam sapida.

Today since DH is not in town , it going to be noodles with broccoli and peas for the kids. For me I am going to have karaicha morsadam with kichilikkai and mango pieces in it. !! Yummy :2thumbsup:

Vandhana

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Sathya,

Avvalavum ruchi ruchiyay list koduthu ungalukkenllam pidithadha endru veru ketka venduma....rombathan pidithadhu, enna seyya...rendu tickets anuppungo, naanum Vandanavum varuvom Pudukottaikku!!

As for me, have not lit the stove yet! Went to Panera's for lunch as we were replenishing the veggies + groceries.

Have not yet decided about dinner, there is a line up veggies now, all fresh and wanting to be cut!

L, Kamla

10. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:eek:mg: , not sure how I missed seeing this thread these days. But you know, now I really feel why did I see this thread??? You all seem to be cooking jambavans (of-course the max jambavan too here sharing her specialities - Mrs. C). I can't come anywhere close to any of the menus shared here.

I always grumble about what to cook, crib about the less choice of veggies we get here in Austin and try to put the blame on the limited veggies for the menu not being fancy or with varieties :wink:.

Now, seeing all your menu ideas I am really ashamed and full of guilt that I really make people at home starve. I can understand why Jey prefers lunch out with his colleagues, though he can't escape dinner from Malathy Bhavan :tongue .

How do you all have the patience to cook so many items? For me to make a sambhar and curry itself takes an hour easily. If I go for tiffin items, I only make one side dish and not more. Post pregnancy, I feel it is my cooking efficiency that has become the worst.

Ok, enough of cribbings...today's lunch menu (will adjust the same for Dinner too)

Rice with
    Frozen Drumstick Sambar
    French-cut beans poriyal

Of-course Curd rice with Garlic pickle.

More than menu ideas, I am looking for ideas and tips about how to cook more items, faster and of-course tastier. Another problem I face, I never get to cook more and store. I always have a feeling if I cook more with increase in quantity the quality drops :icon_frown: .

Share your suggestions and ideas all cooking jambhavans out here.

Regards,
    Malathy