what will be the impact????

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by Shanvy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

This was the news item on the front page of hindu dated 7th january....

The syllabus of Class X of the State Board will undergo changes from 2008-09 academic year after a thorough review with a view to lessening the burden on students, Minister for School Education Thangam Thennarasu said here on Sunday.
    “When we analysed the examination results, we found that more students were failing in science and in fact, the ‘single subject failures’ were more in science. Requests for syllabus revision came for science and mathematics,” he said. The Minister reviewed the performance of School Education Department in six districts in the Madurai region— Madurai, Theni, Dindigul, Sivaganga, Virudhunagar and Ramanathapuram—along with senior officials from Department of School Education.

How many of you think it is a wise move to reduce the syllabus.. Already I hear and see that state board children find it difficult to compete in all india entrance exams unless they take specialized coaching for that.

there is a wide gap between cbse and stateboard...will this widen the gap...

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanvy,

I too do not feel that it would be wise to reduce syllabus. It will certainly widen the gap mentioned by u.

I hear that there is already a gap between the state board and matriculation syllabus and some students study till 9th std in matriculate and then shift to state board syllabus(comparatively less) with the view of scoring more marks.

Reducing the syllabus is not the solution, for more number of failures....

Bye

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi saraswathi,

thanks for your view....but what to do...i know two tamilnadu government teachers...one teacher is a tamil senior classes and another is a primary class teacher

the tamil teacher corrects science and maths papers for the public exams...imagine what will happen...where are things going....

Shouldn't there be better rules or guidelines be it for the school syllabus, or paper correction or for the faculty.....shakehead

4. Saraswathipv

What.....:eek:mg:...Tamil teacher correcting maths and science papers...Do u mean the tamil literature..teacher??????????????

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi saras,

yes..that is what i meant....and she is not having the basic knowledge in science...she says that they get a sheet having the correct answers, and based on that they correct.....

there is a dearth for people coming in correction work...the money they get for that is low, so there are not many teachers who want to waste their vacation time......

6. Saraswathipv

Then what is the use in changing the syllabus.....no amount of reduction in quantity will change the end result....

The system for paper correction has to be rectified....

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saras

this is what i came to know from her,and don't have proof of what she says...only if somebody else talks about it..we are going to know the truth...

..if there is going to be changes this years god knows...but changing the syllabus the government is taking a risk that is what i feel...

8. Saraswathipv

Shanvy....

Lets wait and watch....

hopefully wise decisions will be taken.....

U R right changing syllabus is a risk....

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I wish the present education is revamped.The children suffer a lot .Childhood is for some amount of enjoyment,but instead the children are being pushed against the wall what with new syllabus and change in trends of exams.It is high time the government bought about a uniform education system and more practical oriented classes instead of monotonous ones.The present system not only confuses the children but also the parents as well.There is an urgent need for a good admission system as well instead of chaotic admission procedure.

10. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have read that news item in Hindu paper yesterday.. I don't think reducing the syllabus will reduce the number of failures.. There is already a gap between the State board and Matriculation itself... and state board students find it difficult to write entrance exams also... now if the govt. reduces the syllabus again, i feel it is not going to do good for the children.. Even CBSE and state boards syllabus also has a good gap...

Anyway let's wait and see what is happening... I fully agree with Kanaka Madam..a good admission procedure has to be developed... Now I am struggling for admission for my daughter.. some schools tell us the child's age is ok (my daughter will be 4 years on May '08 .. some others tell she is over age.. I think the schools needs to have a common age criteria for LKG admissions.