1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

What was your first rangoli(without taking any help)?..share your story :-)

Discussion in 'Rangoli / Kolam' started by swaran, May 7, 2012.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All Ladies,:hiya

Many of us would have started to draw a star/4 lines(mostly curvy) at our doorstep and would have considered that as our biggest contribution/achievement when we were in school/college/after marriage(for people like me ;-)) ...we would have wasted cups and cups of rangoli powder in an attempt to make a so called perfect star/round/4 straight lines...and ofcourse boast in the neighbourhood/school everywhere for a month...:rotfl

so what was your first kolam ?and incase you have a pic of it,please share here ..even if you dont have,and find a similar one,you can paste that too..

and ofcourse in case you remember any funny incident associated with it,please share that too... ;-)

Ofcourse its a must to mention the number of cups of kolam/rangoli powder you used...the number of times you redrew the small pattern,the number of hours(;-)) you spent to draw that and number of people you boasted ...and ofcourse how was your kolam/rangoli??
    hehe

Please come and share your story ....

let me start...its not a cute story,a little tough tension filled story ;-)

For me,i never had the interest towards drawing a kolam..not even a star...all through the month of margazhi,i used to sleep when my younger sister used to wake up and draw/help my mom in making beautiful patterns...i would wake up to help only when i dont get the sleep :crazy: and moreover i like to only do the colouring part(easier than making lines ,to escape from getting mocked)

basically i dont remember what was my first childhood kolam(that too without taking help from my mom),so i ll mention my first kolam after marraige..

my mil is very good in making kolams...she has the habit of making kolams both during morning as well as in the evening time...the place where they lived had many houses nearby and its like they have been there for more than 15 years now and all know how good my mil makes kolam

first day after marriage,morning woke up late,thankgod ...good she already made the kolam
    evening,suddenly she said"can you draw a kolam..i have already cleaned the floor"....i was like :spin but couldnt do anything as few relatives were nearby...i immediately went out and bent and tried to think what to draw...i was so scared and my hands/feet were literally shivering..my first impression(small one though) in front of relatives...i really wished the rain pours down at that second and keeps pouring for another 2 hours..:hide: but varuna bagwan(rain god) dint listen to my prayer ...grrrrrr...i stood there literally for more than 2 min to decide what to draw...after loads of thinking,drew a small star and decoreated(its no decoration,trying to merge my defects) and ran inside the house before the neighbours could comment...
    oh god..that was really horrifying..after that i had shifts in my office,early morning or evening..so thank god,i never drew kolam in that house after that..hehehe..

okay ladies ,now its your turn ;-)

small rangoli/big rangoli,just doesnt matter...just share about your first rangoli that you drew without taking any help....

1 person likes this.

2. AS1982

AS1982 Silver IL'ite

Swaran.... Nice reading your first Rangoli experience after marriage. Very Funny:rotfl

I was comfortable in drawing Rangoli designs from childhood itself. Hmmm... cant think of any stories as such to contribute here...

BTW, I thought you will posting that pic... ???

3. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

Swarna.
    Nice readng your first rangoli experience.

Dont know when i started to draw rangoli. but i remember when i was in sixth standard i draw rangoli in margazhi and it is my work in the morning. sp no story from my side.

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot AS1982 for your first feedback and likes.. Bow
    thats nice to know that you could draw kolams from your young age :)
    picture of my kolam,hehehe...i was shivering..i just wanted to run inside the house,no idea of taking pic and all..hehehe

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hey priesh,
    thanks for sharing your first rangoli mini story:)

6. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

im a north indian and we dont make so much rangoli and all . when i married my husband , who is a south indian , i loved the way people would put rangoli outside their homes.
    after marriage i had gone to an exhibition where i saw a man selling small boxes with rangoli desingns , it was like a seive where the colour would filter and design would come. i liked it and brought but when my mil saw it she was like:spin , she wondered why i needed that when rangoli can be made with hand!!
    then came my first pongal , i asked my husband what do u do on this festival . i thought i will make rangoli with hand without my sieve box , when i told my husband he said , honey u make it inside home , i dont want people to laugh at u , u dont know how to make kolam na .:rotfl i was mad at him but then also i wanted to make it outside only, i looked online for different designs and on indusladies only i found a easy design which i thought i can make so i copied it on paper and when dh was watching tv and mil was n kitchen i went outside and drew it . now im good in drawing but this kolam thing was bit too much for me :bonk still i managed , but by then my dh was looking for me in the house then he came out and saw me , he was very impressed but there were few flaws in the kolam and helped me in making it more refined , we spent some lovely quality time making that kolam . i enjoyed every bit of it.
    And my dh who was thinking i would be embarrassed , he only clicked lots of picx and showed to everyone how good his wife was at making kolam !!!!
    Every one who saw that liked and praised it.
    that was my first real kolam !!!

1 person likes this.
  7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cutemonster,
    It is wonderful of you to learn and ofcourse practise kolam for the sake of your DH and his family...hats off to you for that :)
    i loved your post,seriously...
    the efforts you took to make rangoli for the festival(pongal),is really great,,.....

flaw/flawless...small/big doesnt matter,,,it is only the effort that matters....

fantastic,fantabulous...am impresessed :)
    am sure all in your family(DH side) would have been proud of you for this effort!!!!!

BTW,the seive kind of pattern that you were talking about,nowadays many south indians do have that....not the younger generations alone(as many people would blame them for being lazy to draw kolams),even the older generations because of that pattern that comes in that seive..it looks cute especially for the border....you can buy one ;-)

8. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

thanks for liking the post , yeah u r right everyone was so kind and may be too gracious in praising my kolam. even my sil liked it. well i have seen , sometimes few small things can bring lot of happiness . god has been kind and blessed me with a loving guy. he does so many things for me and has never forced me to do anything in name of culture of family.

and yeah i do have that sieve thing:rotfl infact the one i got has one box and four different design sieves,:bowdown . i use it to make kolam in puja room daily !!! makes life easier :) infact gifted one to mil who took it to native :rotfl

9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thats really sweet cutemonster ;-)

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

I am sure many of you would remmeber your first kolam...why is that no one is posting??