1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What was your biggest culture shock when you started living in us

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Ranchu, Mar 29, 2016.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Addressing senior colleagues just by their first name or nick names.

blissofmylife, sindmani and Ranchu like this.
  2. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

My unabsorbed shock on reaching western shores is alien food.

Having eaten Indian food heretofore with only cheese in pizza being pardesi import I was blown away by the choice in the cafeteria at pan-Asian, stir-fry, salad bars, pasta stations, deli and so on. I had no idea how to pronounce some of the dishes or even identify the style or ingredients: zucchini, gnocchi, stroganoff, tanihi, black bean, hoi sin, and cod, haddock, trout, tench, what are these fishes? On top of that, confounded with aquatic squish like scallops, mussels, winkles, squid rings. Is that meaty, is that grainy, how do they even taste? 'May be I should ask the station chef. He will think I'm an idiot who landed from boonies.' Why is curd called 'yogurt', why many variants like chips, crisps, wedges out of atleast twenty varieties of starch. What the hell is new potato? Miss my mamma's spicy potato fry of those muddy and mangy spuds back in India. I was scared and embarrassed. I used to spend my evenings at local supermarket jotting down all the unfamiliar names and look them up on Internet. Borrowed books from library on continental flavours, chow, desserts and taught myself how to pronounce Italian, Gallic, German names and brands. Used to buy admixture of curious breads from the bakers for breakfast: baguette, polka, brioche, ciabatta, listen to the pronunciation on forvo, savour a bite, and assimilate this new world of gastronomic cornucopia.

Yes, that was undoubtedly my greatest cultural shock on landing aboard. I still favour Indian food to any ritzy tapas. But I don't have anxiety attacks anymore when I see a menu the size of an album with outlandish vocables.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    blissofmylife and peartree like this.
  3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Kanith! Well noted. Next time you see big hippy Indian grinning on roads…think of me ! Jokes part I think its more of cultural thing…dnt be too friendly we are told !

Iam not shock rather amused at the liberty enjoyed by Europeans…in terms of clothing and thinking. Iam myself not comfortable with such dleighful mornings and good evening beamed at you. My attempts to sneak out and sneak in office and quietly work fails everytime.

When iam asked every week what ur plan for weekend…I feel shy telling them I want to sleep to the core…for sleeping more than appropriate hours is a no plan unless for you are ill and if you are ill you should take LEAVE. dnt come to office and boast .

Sarcasm: they have a dry sense of humour, and once you will get used to it you will enjoy it. In fact they do not mean anything…

Suddenly I realised it was about Amrica…..so stopping! :p

4. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Kanith! Well noted. Next time you see big hippy Indian grinning on roads…think of me ! Jokes part I think its more of cultural thing…dnt be too friendly we are told !

Iam not shock rather amused at the liberty enjoyed by Europeans…in terms of clothing and thinking. Iam myself not comfortable with such dleighful mornings and good evening beamed at you. My attempts to sneak out and sneak in office and quietly work fails everytime.

When iam asked every week what ur plan for weekend…I feel shy telling them I want to sleep to the core…for sleeping more than appropriate hours is a no plan unless for you are ill and if you are ill you should take LEAVE. dnt come to office and boast .

Sarcasm: they have a dry sense of humour, and once you will get used to it you will enjoy it. In fact they do not mean anything…

Suddenly I realised it was about Amrica…..so stopping! :p

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

@ashima10 ha ha ...hmm your post vanished elsewhere n here double!! ;)
    PS : Also love your typos! :yum:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    ashima10 likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

My wife, son and I were driven from the airport through a long 12 mile bridge over the bay and just before we entered the bridge, there was a big neon sign which said, "Nude Girls". That was our maiden trip overseas and that too to settle down in the US.

Viswa

madras2018 likes this.
  7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow I totally forgot I had opened this thread. Wide variety of answers and yes I've faced it all.
    as i read through, made me nod along.

Just for fun, when asked "How are you doing", I would say "Not so good" and ppl would genuinely ask how can they help. That's when I realized they do ask this with good intentions and not for the sake of an ice breaker.

Overall the Openness of their culture was new. Ladies taking the time for themselves and not fretting over family was a new thing. A good thing that everyone should learn, I'd say.

sindmani and imhappy like this.
  8. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

it is fixing play dates for kids, in India the kids would just walk into their friends houses to play :) :)
    Wait for the people to get out of the elevator, not pushing yourself even before people would exit:)

sindmani, AnooSA and Jey like this.
  9. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Although I have never been outside India even for a trip, I would love to just go outside to see what you all have said. I have moved away from my hometown but even only in India nobody cares to even smile at each other forget about greeting. So weird that we fellow citizens are not smiling but foreigners are.

I think besides not smiling people are becoming rude day by day. Sad on our part.

sindmani likes this.
  10. Sandhyavinod

Sandhyavinod New IL'ite

Not only in U.S every where

sindmani and Amica like this.