1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"What was that again about "the way to a man's heart"?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 3, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Finest Blog winner - First Weekly pick of February 2011

I remember a time, a long while ago, when I was young and sprightly. It was a time when I used to go shopping on my scooter, buy a week's stock of vegetables, wash them, chop them, cook them and serve them up with a smile at meal times. Even if I say it myself, everyone (including my better half) used to appreciate my cooking, leaving me with a nice,warm glow inside.

Tiimes changed, I changed. Gradually I started to feel the need for help with my domestic chores. Initially it was help with chopping. My "woman
    Friday" was reasonably adept with the job. With the advancing years and increased job pressures, I soon needed a cook.

This is where the problems started. My first cook Latha was a smart a**. A bit too smart for her own good. Give her an inch and she would take a yard. (Actually you did not have to even give her that inch. She took the yard anyway). Since I was the one in need, I did a fairly good imitation of Nelson (I was very impressive at turning a blind eye) , in order to get my job done. She was not too bad with her skills and picked up our brand of cooking pretty fast. So I was no need to complain. However, there was one problem. My better half, was pretty peeved by Latha's attitude. His disapproval of her attitude seemed, strangely enough, to have a direct link to his taste buds. No matter, how good the food, something was always lacking. Either it was not sufficiently cooked, or it was too spicy or the salt content was too high. It could never be right :rant . He soon was a very bitter half. Sighh!

Eventually I landed giving Latha a really long rope. Predictably enough she [​IMG] herself. All I had to do was tighten the noose for not coming regularly, by cutting a bigger chunk of her advance from her salary. She quit the job the next day.

Three days later Meena arrived on the scene. She seemed at first to be too dumb for me to do anything with her. But as before, I needed her, even more than I needed Latha. However, with time, she settled down and did manage at last to get the hang of things. My bitter half slowly started showing more interest in his food. He found Meena to be a "simple soul" compared to Latha. Now he regularly polishes up his plate without much ado. I do not have to narrate any long stories to get him to gobble up his food. He is no longer so bitter.

The whole string of events set me thinking. I have always heard it said that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Now I would have to rethink that proverb (based on my own experiences) and modify it to "The way to satisfy a man's taste buds is through a dumb cook" :!: Apparently he was very happy with the food, only if the cook was not too smart.

Now if we accept this hypothesis, where does that leave me? Remember he loved my food? [​IMG]

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

hahaha!!!!!! I loved your last sentence. Very funny.

3. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Satchi,
    Remember he loved my food? [​IMG]
    so sorry pa - wanted somebody to substitute your chores and had to travese so many hurdles to get a cook - who was compatible enough to you DH's stomach :biglaugh:biglaugh.
    Nice write almost every body are having to face this difficulty of cooking

4. satchitananda

nithya ma'am, coffeelover,

thank you for your kind words. i really need the appreciation to encourage me. thanks once again.:)

5. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Satchi...
    Good Writing...u made my week end laughing.....:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

6. satchitananda

7. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Nice blog
    The way to a man's heart is certainly good food
    If the food is cooked by his wife, much the better
    in that case, even if it does not taste well,
    the love behind the preparation will charm him

well, i am not a foodie :)

cheers
    suresh

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchits,

Good one...really enjoyed reading the same with apt smileys tucking in bringing an upward curve on my face...

So much to please DH's taste buds........

9. debimyrt

debimyrt New IL'ite

hello
    nice blog. well written. cheered me up real well. hahaha.
    hav a gud day.
    debimyrt

10. satchitananda

hi suresh, lalitha and debimyrt,

thanks for you encouragement.:)