1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

What was Indian clothing like before The British arrived?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by gurmeetkaur1, Dec 19, 2015.

1. gurmeetkaur1

gurmeetkaur1 New IL'ite

What was Indian clothing like before The British arrived?

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sarees, Salwars, Dhotis,Kurtas,

3. pari11

pari11 Junior IL'ite

Yes exactly @knbg, also you can count anarkali, salwar kameez, lehenga saree, I think this garments also our traditional wear.

4. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

It was different in different parts of India. Maharashtra and south they were wearing 9 yard saris, Bengal was wearing simple drape, Up was mostly dhotis /lehenga for hindus and Anarkalis / Garara for muslims, Lehnga Kurti in rajasthan etc
    There is much more homogeneity today than before.

5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I hope women will always wear the beautiful nauvari sarees. :)

6. Wahida

Wahida New IL'ite

How to wear dhoti for dancing or stage drama?

Can any member here in IL suggest me how to wear dhoti? My daughter is going to act as Shakuntala in her school's annual drama competition. She is reading in class 8. As I do not know how to wear dhoti saree and she has also no idea about the costume that she will required to wear for that role. Please anyone help me to learn the steps. I have gone through internet I found some tips. But none of them work better. I followed those steps but it looks like bulky .

7. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

it was mostly cotton and pure silk..synthetic fabric started only with Britishers. Not just British even mughals changed a lot how indians dress themselves.

8. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

9. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

It was different in different religion and religions.
    In north and east, Hindus wore saree and dhoti. Even the blouse was after mugals, as they brought stitched clothing to India. Even now, in pujas etc we wear the dhotis etc because stitched cloths is not considered so good for puja.
    Mugals brought, salwar or peticoats. Even little girls used to wear saree, because it could be worn right off the handloom.
    Sareers and lungi (same as dhoti) were in south. Mughals and others from west brought the stitched long skirts- lahenga to western India with stitched long kurti. Mughals themselves wore sarara- a divided lahenga with long kurti, tunics for both men and women and tighter pants- like churidaar.
    Much of our chicken work, zardosi, kundan, banarasi work, jamawar work etc were done by muslims, in North.
    In south I think the handloom industry was not influenced to such an extent.
    Big bunches of bangles, to go with every color outfit was also not very Indian to start with.
    Thanks to all the influences, we have a array of outfits we can choose from!
    Who knew we grew up in a melting pot of outfits with influences from paresis,French, English, Chinese, Mongols, Mughals..

1 person likes this.
  10. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

Before British saree's n salwar