What Traits Make People Naturally Likeable Or Highly Popular?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Naari, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILs,

We all have wondered at some point of time in our lives, be it childhood, youth or adulthood, be it at school, at work or in social circles:
    “Why are some people naturally liked & more popular than others? “

They may not be the smartest or the wittiest or the most beautiful/handsome people or not even the nicest, but yet there is something in their personality that draws people to them, call it charisma, awesomeness or whatever, but there are some traits that definitely make some people more likeable than others.

So, I am interested to know what according to you are these special traits that make some people highly likeable or popular at different places?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Can you please give some examples? :sunglasses: For purpose of reference and for better understanding of the kwestin. :grinning:

In the meanwhile, I am thinking the traits that make people naturally likeable are whatever Hillary does not have? Her favorability ratings have hit a new low. Gallup: Hillary Clinton favorable rating at 36% - CNNPolitics

Amica, Thyagarajan and Naari like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Like why is Rihana aunty more popular than other aunties? is it her name , sense of humor , personality or her expensive gifts:tonguewink:

Sunshine04 likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: ) ROFL. I would put it down to Rihana aunty being "traditional but modern" ..

I think one common trait among the more likeable or popular people is their ability or preference to stay clear of dispensable conflict. Being good at skillful and sincere apology (different from ever ready to apologize) is one more trait.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Naari likes this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Rihana, as you mention Hillary , one more name comes to mind Ted Cruz. An outstanding republican candidate, a Harvard & Princeton graduate with a great political record, an expert debater, but a highly unpopular guy amongst peers & like. He himself confessed to being unpopular & “not that guy one would like to have beer with or hang out with”.. I have seen many such smart people in real life who are totally hated or unpopular. Here’s an article throwing light on unpopularity of Ted Cruz .
    Everybody Hates Ted

Actually I have heard stories about people hating Martha Stewart too!

6. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Optimism is a trait which people like..We generally feel comfortable around people who are always on the move, and are cheerful always..This helps us move forward..

On the other hand there are people who crib even for the slightest issues..I personally hate to be around such people..

7. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

People with positive vibes and optimism are mostly liked....
    People who are able to laugh at the of difficulty and think of a solution, rather than repeatedly speaking of the difficulty/ issue....
    People who know how to say things, the difference between frank and rude....

8. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I think if one person lack some quality that he likes to have then he will like the other with that quality. Or any emotion which understood by other as the way they like.

Naari, shri0218 and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

For me, I believe it's their ..

overall attitude - like self confidence, friendliness, presentability, helping tendency, listening to others, etc

n right communication skills, - like what to say or how to respond the right way at the right time, handling or entertaining a crowd easily, good sense of humour, etc

10. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Extrovert with a good sense of humor.
    Goes out of the way to help others.
    These two traits would make someone more popular and likeable.