What to wear for a job Interview?!!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by eswarireddy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. eswarireddy

eswarireddy New IL'ite

Hi Everybody,
    I have an interview scheduled in feb month. This is going to be my first job interview and i am really nervous. All i wanted to know is what should i wear for my interview? Some says, Blazer gives descent impression and is must for all IT field interviews. Some says any formal office wear will also work .
    Which one did you wear for an interview and what will be your preferences? Please let me know the dress codes and anything else i should take care regarding dressing. I think i wont be comfortable in wearing skirts to interviews .. so my left over choice would be pants :(.
    Please suggest me few things and where to buy them for getting best price .
    Thank you all.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

A well fitted blazer with white shirt and pants which goes well with the blazer and shirt is an ideal combo. I have taken a few interviews and thats what I wore to all of them.Good Luck.

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    You have to give due importance for dress code for attending interview,but nothing to worry about it:).You can either wear formal pants teamed with a good well tailored formal shirt, a blazer can be included if you like.You can also wear good formal looking cotton churichars which are nicely starched and pressed.One thing that you have to keep in mind is that whatever you choose to wear it is better to keep the colour soft.If you are wearing pants ,you can also go for formal shoes with socks(dont wear white socks since its considered un-professional).
    Also avoid wearing heavy make-up,religious things,chunky ornaments and glittery and heavy embroidered suits.

Hope this was helpful ,all the best:thumbsup

-Ami

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  4. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

I would say wear a nice dark color blazer with a crisp white shirt... the best and safest choice...

5. eswarireddy

eswarireddy New IL'ite

Thank you all for so many advises..
    I thank amihere again for letting me know few more important things.
    I bought a blazer black colored one and pair of formal wear sandals.
    Now my next thing on line is preparation.
    Thank you all once again.

6. rmalathi

rmalathi Senior IL'ite

Dear Eswari,
    You should only wear clothes that you feel comfortable in. No point wearing something u cannot carry off. Formal trousers+blazers are not always a must; salwars and sarees are equally good. One thing important thoughs is not to use very dark colours and flashy jewellery. At the same time, do not use too much make up. Be yourself and you will gain confidence automatically.

Good luck with your interview.:thumbsup

7. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi,
    I guess this interview is in New Jersey, right? You should be asking your employment agency this question about clothes. Call them and ask what the dress code is for the interview. They will tell if it is formal/business casual/casual.
    Dont go in all formals if it is business casuals. Unless you are looking for a CEO or VP job, it is mostly business casuals. Blue shirt and Khaki/brown pants are American colors. But there is no hard and fast rule that you have to wear only those colors. Whatever color you choose, get a well cut, well fitting pair. They may be a li'l expensive, but well worth the investment. I wouldnt wear saree or salwar-suit for an interview. Nah! May be, after I get selected! And that too only on a Friday!
    Indians are known for oily hair and bad body odour. :crazy Watch out! Use a mild perfume and deodorant. No make-up is better than bad make-up. Carry some mint with you.
    When you are in Rome, be a Roman!
    Goodluck! :thumbsup
    Regards,
    Sharada

8. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

hey sharada..
    that was a fine reply.. very useful..
    thank you so much for the wonderful tips.
    I have jus started job search in Plano, Texas.
    Thanks again.

cheers,
    vidhya

9. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,
    You are most welcome. Sorry for the delay in replying.
    Also, take care what jewllery you wear. Li'l pearl eartops or the likes should do. Dont wear grand indian gold jewellery ( save it for the christmas party!).
    Goodluck to you!
    R,
    Sharada

10. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Hello All,

I have a question related to this thread.
    Is threaded eyebrow, must while going to interviews?