1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What to pack from India to US for first time

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by manjulasoundar, Jun 14, 2007.

1. manjulasoundar

manjulasoundar New IL'ite

Folks,

Am getting married next month & planning to pack to Arizona,US on H4.

Kindly give suggestion wat I need to concentrate more to stuff within that 50KG. Innerwares or housewares or party wares.

Am so confused as I got to do two purchases like purchase for marriage & purchase to pack US.

Ur suggestions will be of great help,as many would have come across a similar situation.

Cheers
    manjula

2. shaluj

shaluj New IL'ite

Hello
    Advance 'Congratulations'

here are some thing you can get....
    1 home made masala for cooking,
    2 you can bring Pickles , Ghee, papads,
    3.bring pressure cooker(small medium) dosa pan .idilly cooker
    4 some decorations item for your house,
    5 Some indians medicine
    6 clothes both causal and party wear.

one thing to tell you that all the food items should be sealed packed so you wont be having problem in airport (custom checking and immgration)
    for now i have only this things in mind will let you know if any more things comes up.

thanks

2 people like this.
  3. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Manjula

First of all Congrats for ur wedding...
    As you said in another thread that u r coming to Arizona, then i must tell you that pack a lot of Cotton and light outfits as its really hot over here, most of the year... but do not forget good amt of woollens as well... as when its Cold then its Really cold over here (without snowfall also). I'm here in Phoenix, where are you coming ?

Other than that, masalas, pressure cooker and Tava are very important...

take care
    ~Abha

4 people like this.
  4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

There is another thread where we already discussed this.

If you have the recipe to make the masala powders,don't bother bringing them here.You get all the ingredients here and that will help in making the powders.Just carry enough for your initial few days.

Customs do not allow any food items,pls check on that.You can make ghee from unsalted butter available here.

Check this link http://www.indusladies.com/forums/g...anada/442-things-bring-india-when-moving.html

5. manjulasoundar

Dear sunith, Abha, Shalu,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Shalu- your have given it very clearly so that I will concentrate more on that.

Abha- Hai again. I will be coming to W ray RD, Chandler. How far r u from this place. As u said Am actually planning to carry more of clothes than cook stuff.I will concentrate on cotton & wollens.

Sunitha- Am also feeling so If I spend much in packing cooking stuff & if it gets stuck in checking then all will go waste, rather I will carry initial & stuff with more of clothes as theywill be costlier to buy there, Ur link was more useful. probably I shall Downld few recepies from forum.

Cheers
    manjula

6. vidisha

vidisha Senior IL'ite

Hey Manjula,
    Congrats for getting married.
    I live in Az too. As Abha said.. pack a lot of Cotton and light outfits as its really hot over here, most of the year.
    Actually i visited india 2 months back and bought a lot of instant(Upma,vada) packets,masala packets made by my mom and pickles.
    I did not face any problems.

I wish u all the best.

Bye,

1 person likes this.
  7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidisha

What I am trying to say is this..nowadays you get everything here in the U.S. Even those instant upma/vada packets,pickles etc.We buy everything from our local Indian grocery and everything is around $1 only.So,why carry all that from India?

Instead,is it not better to concentrate more on things which you will not find here and which are costly here.

1 person likes this.
  8. manjulasoundar

hai vidisha,
    Nice to hear dat u too at Az, I find this forum is very useful to make more friends before landing US. Thank u for d reply.

Abha & vidhisha- Hope u both r in H4. How r u passing time there/. I know I cant work there for 1 year. is it anything could be packed from india like home deco kits like quick stich kit, emboss painting kits. R they avilable there?

How keep ur self engaged.

cheers
    Manjula

9. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Manjula

Well nothing of that sort is available here in Arizona at least... so if that is ur time pass stuff then do carry it along... My time pass is books... so i carried a lot of those... Yes, I'm on H-4, but we arent here for a long time, wud be back to India in a few months. I stay in phoenix, and that is a different city altogether... chandler is good too... and i dont know wich place exactly u wud be staying, but there is a lot of Indian community where i stay, so its not that difficult to make a few aquaintances... I pass my time by goin to gym and working out...

and Sunitha is right about the grocery stuff... u get everything over here only... u can pack a few masalas if u want, otherwise everything is available here only for hardly 1 or 1.5 dollars...

~Abha

4 people like this.
  10. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Hi,
    Advance Happy married life wishes.

As our friends said you concentrate on things you dont get here first. Then buy things which will be helpful.

If you plan to buy vessels you can buy flat bottomed ones bcos the stove here is mostly coil which will b flat and so round bottomed vessels will be less suitable than flat bottomed ones.Stainless steel vessels are usually costly here(here if you hunt, you can get cheaper ones in shops like Ikea).My suggestion is you can buy one or two.

Chudi,saree and other garments you can bring from there as per ur needs...If you will wear jean, then jean and tops I suggest buying it here rather than from India.We get lots of collections here...People what you say?

Karthika.