1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what to mix with cerelac

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumividya, Apr 8, 2010.

1. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

hello ladies ,
    i have 2 questions
    1. it is written on cerelac that it should be given after 6 months. my baby is 5 1/2 months , can it start now? how many of u have started like this ? if yes what flavour u gave first , wheat or rice , ther are i think 3 flavours available. which will be good ?
    2. what u mix it up with cerelac , Breast milk or formula or hot water ?
    pls answer

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

As lee suggested you can go for homemade food.If you want to try cerelac,just so to keep it handy and make the baby used to that food,in case you are going out,Rice cerelac would be the best option.No need to mix formula,I think it already has milk content.You can mix it with hot water.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sumividya, its better to start with veggies/fruit purees one at a time.we started DD on rice after 2 wks of fruits veggies n she still got constipated a bit, even with homemade rice kanji. so i am not in for cerelac at 5 n half months, since it contains milk too.

i would suggest go easy with veggies like squash,sweet potato.... and maybe later peas, carrots.
    fruits u can try banana, apple,plums, peaches, pears.

to make rice cereal at home, take brown rice/ boiled rice. dry fry till aroma comes. powder and cook 1 tsp with water till cooked. add BM/ FM if needed.
    u can also use nestum rice. milk free.with water or BM.
    alternately try easum, rice and dal, milk free, with water or BM
    u can also mix these veggie/fruit purees with rice cereal. makes it more palatable and also fiber rich, so chances of constipated are highly reduced.:)
    once ur LO does well with these u may try cerelac if u wish . but rather wait to try cerelac wheat till about 7th month.
    rice is gluten free and easier to digest than wheat.

5. jollyshilpy

jollyshilpy New IL'ite

Ditto Manju

Additionally, you will have to go with your baby's reactions. Is the baby like rice more then you can add purees to rice cereal.

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Second the others here.
    My baby is 6 months old and we started off with fruits and veggies at 5.5 months. Now she eats fruit +ragi kanji and veg + rice kanji (brown rice).
    You will have to first try one food at a time and look for allergies before combining the food.

7. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

thankyou all ladies foor ur respones ,most of them said fruit & veg purees. i want to know fruit purees means , u boil the fruit & make a puree , it is right ? , i have tries giving only apple juice , carrot juice , not tried puree yet , may be tomorow i will try .
    thanks

8. sansmomy

sansmomy Bronze IL'ite

Yeah, the cerelac tin says that it is for 6+ age babies. However, Is started DD with Rice cerelac (as per her pedi's instruction) when she was 4.5 months and she liked and diggested it well. Cerelac already has milk content and hence no need to add milk. Just mix it with warm water.

the advantages of cerelac (or any such ready made baby food) are:

1. Easy to preapre (just mix with water)
    2. Vitamins, minerals and other necessary things are added to it in right quantity so you need not worry, if the baby is getting enough of the necessities.

Disadvanrages:

1. Some people may find it costly
    2. No matter how much they claim, it is still a synthetic food and can never be as fresh as home-made food
    3. It can not be stored once prepared.

If you want to avoid cerelac at this point of time then as others sugegsted, you may start giving veg and fruit purees...I only feed DD apple after boiling...we feed her rest of the fruits (strawberries, papaya, watermelon, grapes, sapota, banana, oranges) without cooking (they are quite soft and can be mashed with a fork/spoon easily).

~S.

9. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

@sumanr

how do you make rice kanji with brown rice

my son is 5 months and 3 weeks old can i start it for him

and you give fruit puree mixed in raggi kanji? what combinations taste good

thanks

can somebody help me with baby schedule am posting in as many threads s o that i can get gud ideas from exp mom's of indusladies..

right now his schedule is he gets up at 8am i give him milk then the next feed is solids around 10:30 am later the whole day is milk.

now i want to make it 2 meals a day and what time is the best ? slowly when i make 3 meals a day i want the timings to be good

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sumi...
    juices will only develop a sweet tooth, so i wld say rather do purees.
    applesauce can be easily prepared at home.boil chunks of apple in tiny bit water till soft.puree.
    similarly prepare pears/peas/carrots etc.banana mash ripe ones n give.
    sweet potato steam , peel, puree....
    and REMOVE skins of apples/pears etc before cookin.
    try 1 at a time for a wk and chk for allergies.
    hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010