1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

what to do with methi seeds

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by fiona, May 29, 2007.

1. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Can anyone help me ?I bought a big packet of methi seeds inspite of my husband refusing to buy but i hardly use it .If he sees it still lying there unused he will surely get angry .Pls help me

2. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

Fiona,

Methi seeds add flavour to vegetables when cooking, keep adding a tsp full when making most dishes until it finishes.

It will make your food taste even yummier:2thumbsup:

Vish:wave

3. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vishana for your reply and the suggestion but if I am not mistaken methi seeds give you bitter flavour except for certain dishes ,pls correct me if I am wrong.
    Anywayz, bye and thanks once again.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Fiona,

Methi seeds are used a lot when preparing your own different masala powders. Go through Chitvish recipes, esp those for preparing masala powders such as sambar and rasam etc.
    If you have too much of it and are not one to make own ground masalas, you can soak the seeds in water for a day and then plant them in loose soil and grow methi leaves which can be used in salads and dhals and veggies, now that it is summer. You can also use sprouted methi seeds in salads, they are very good and nutritious.
    All this besides using it in small amounts while seasoning your various preparations.
    Besides, the shelf life of methi seeds is very long. So, eventually you will be able to use it all up:)

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  5. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

1.Take one table spoon of meethi seeds, soak it overnight...drink that water in the early morning. Very good for health!
    2.Otherwise, grind it- make a paste..apply to ur hair. wash it after 15mins. it's a very good conditioner!

cheers!
    Anushiv

1 person likes this.
  6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

If you are in the habit of making dosas --you can add 1-2 tsp of it to the soaked urad dhal or rice , grind it and make dosas as usual.
    If you fry it light brown and powder it you can add to the veg. a little bit, even to the prepared rice dishes like lemon rice, tamarind rice, tomato rice, mango rice,etc.
    If you take 1 tsp methi seeds raw with buttermilk in the morning on an empty stomach it will cool down your digestive system.
    You can add methi seeds to the while seasoning the sambar along with mustard seeds.
    You can use on thooku varieties like tomato, mango(either you can season it with mustard seeds or you can add the powder.
    As you know that it has a bitter taste use only a little bit not like mustard seeds.
    when you prepare pickes at home like the lemon or mango you can add to it either raw or roasted as the recipe suggests.
    Sriniketan

7. aannamika

aannamika New IL'ite

hi faiona,
    here is a solution to your problem
    take 1 cup methi, put them in 4 cups of boiling water, boilthem until the seeds get tender app for 10 min, then drain excess water ,wash them until the color keeps coming off while puting in a strainer or colander. set it aside.
    now make a paste of yogurt with adding spices like salt ,turmeric powder,red chilli powder,corriender powder mix it well.
    now put some oil in a sauce pan heat that up add cumin and mustard seeds red whole chill a few than add raisins and chasews than add the paste and saute it,whan the paste started to leave the sides of saucepan add 2 cups of warm water, let every thing boil for a while ,then add the cooked methiseeds with little sugar .,eat with rote etc
    it is really easy to make,taste good and on top of that good for health.:yes: try it.

8. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot one and all for your precious recipes and advices,suggestions thank you very much I will definitely try them out:cool2:

Regards,
    Fiona.:wave

9. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Hi Viona,
    Chitvishji has given a wonderful recipe of methi pulao its very tasty and healthier why dont u try this will help u finish the stock and pruchase more hope so-----
    bye
    padma

1 person likes this.
  10. uthra

uthra Junior IL'ite

hi fiona,

luv your name.
    using half a teaspoon of methi in most of the curries we make has a coolong effect on the body and is also said to reduce hig blood pressure

regards