1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what to do with -a momma's boy hubby n an insecure over possessive m.i.l

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by kenny, Dec 23, 2009.

1. kenny

kenny Bronze IL'ite

i really dont understand why men even after their marriage behave as school going boys...
    when we leave every thing-our homes,ourparents, every thing...come to a totally new home and accept and adjust to every thing...isnt it the duty of the husands to make things comfortable for us and isnt it important for them also to be independant ...or they would just behave as school goers..
    its all sick..
    single mother in laws are very difficult to handle..they becomes very desperate for their sons as they are the ONLY men in their lives..
    :spin

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. icyspicy

icyspicy Senior IL'ite

hi kenny....i am also married to an only child...and though i have FIL its equral to him not being there....i heardly hear anything from him...what ever my dh and mil discuss it only btwn them both...they leave Fil alone i n the room or hall....i am facing the same type of situation like in ur home...i am married for 1.5 years...me and dh started planning for kids when my mil arrived ....and suddenly my dh stopped spending time with me....so where r we gonna even have kids....till last month she used to blasbber abt kids soon..now shes started taking my weight issue n saying tht take sumtime till u both understand....same my dh is also saying...i find tht both my dh and mil r one team...if mil says dh follows or dh says mil follows....i think my dh is not a mammas boy he himsefl has sum stubborn qualities and want to get things done thru his mom...i find my self tossed btwn them both from time to time.....like a volleyball....i cant stick to building a relationship with eithe one of them..cos i keep getting tossed from here to there....u can read my posts kenny...i guess the situation i am facing has lead me to separate for i cant take this anymore..cosi dont find my dh even listeningto me...does ur dh listen to ur pain or concerns when u talk to him or he pushes u aside evertime u try to talk to him....my dh alwasy does tht...or pacifies by saying everthing will be fine u need to give time....u dont worry....but i face the same trouble again...i am now allowed to express or approach my dh for anything cos he hiself has closed his ears from me....i am shattered now....i cant see a clear happy path in front of me anymore

3. kenny

kenny Bronze IL'ite

i can realy understand what pain u undergo dear icyspicy..
    what is funny about my end is..though she is sleeping with us in the same room...she keeps telling us to have kids soon...sometimes i feel like asking her....how on earth so u feel we should have kids when u sleep in the same room as ours??but dont do so for an unncessary fight...
    hey please dont break down dear...try to be strong...dont be weak...i would say try all possible means first ...as menku adviced me-u can try going to a counsellor also...see if she can help u and see if ur husb goes wth u...mine wll never i know...
    but he does listen to me though-accepts my points but doesnt work upon them because as i feel he has certain inhibitions with his mom...i feel he's always worried whether his mom will like all of it or not...
    just be very strong...talk sternly but politely...if he still is not bothered,...raise all issues and try if things work out...im alos doing the same...
    all the best gal...
    and thanx guys for all ur luv for being there...when i our my heart...luv to all.

4. icyspicy

icyspicy Senior IL'ite

Kenny i have tried every possible way on earth....talking politely,emotionally,crying,firm,reverse psycology...atleast ur husband pays attention to u when u speak but mine doesent even do tht...he is very distractive...when im speaking he will concentrating or if not he will "start" concentrating on sumthing else and try to divert the topic....i feel" unheard"....i have come over to my parent house today and just waiting what to do...havent told my dh as yet ...still hoping things would be fine....nothing will change unless he realises what hes doing to our relationship

5. Menku

Menku Junior IL'ite

Dear Icy,

I have been reading ur posts and know that u are hvaing a hard time with ur mil and hubby, but let me tell you one thing - leaving/seperating is not the option ! Are you sure that when u seperate and get married again the second husband is not going to be like the first one and the inlaws are going to be really nice !!! No you dont know that !!!!

Also the underlying wish for all mils are that the dil should leave and go so that they can have their way and have their son back ! And if u seperate ur mil will get her way ! And let me tell u ur hubby wont be affected a bit, cos its easier for guys to get married again as compared to women and also cos ur hubby is living in dubai - which is abroad for every girl in india, there will be heaps of them who will want to get married to him !

Running away from the situation is no solution and for how long will u keep running away !

My mil gave me a very hard time - she made her brother migrate to australia from india, made him stay with us, he used to be puppet on my mil, then she send her another son to australia by emotionally balckmailing my hubby, by lieing and telling him false stories, all these people wanted to stay in my house so that they dont hve to struggle much - told my hubby to speak to my parents and complain about me and my hubby threatened my parents that he will divorce me, then my hubby started living with his brother and uncle for a while cos his om used to tell him to do so......the list is endless......u cant even imagine all the horrible things my mil has done and made my hubby do them as well....But the outcome is that tdy my hubby has realised that noone in this world is going to be there for him other than his wife and we are together and his uncle and brother are not at all in touch with him ! I felt like walking out of this marriage lot of times as well, but If I would have done that everyone would have had their way, but instead I stayed, let him go and live with his relatives (my hubby practically left the house cos his mother poisoned him so much against me ) and that is when he realised that his family is no less !

Giving up is no solution according to me........They were all determined to either contorl me, make me live my life their way or throw me out ! I decided otherwise for myself and fought back - cos I decided as long as I stay these people will have a hard time and did that !

Dont think that all these years have not had any impact on me...big impact - My mum was hospitalised cos of all this, I did not have kids all this while, career suffered (cos if u are not going to work, calling in sick all the time - u will be fired ! ), had to go for counselling ! I had to do all this when I was alone and by myself in australia - without even single member of my family being around and my hubby's relatives were here and making this mess !

I have come out victorious only cos I stayed and fought back !

At the end its ur decision !

Tc girl :)

6. ArunaSashi

ArunaSashi Bronze IL'ite

Goodness!

Your husband is to be blamed..
    He doesn't know to manage the two women in his life.. And what he has to give each of them with respect to their roles in his life.. Not seeing the big picture.. :thumbsdown

First of all, why do you let her take control of the kitchen just on weekends???

Don't ask her whether you can cook this or that.. Just tell her that you are going to be doing that..

And go sit with them when they have their late night chat.. Just to annoy.. teehee :crazy

7. kenny

kenny Bronze IL'ite

@aruna-it was history that she used to cook on weekends also...thses days all the time her dramas go on that she is in pain...so im teh one cooking all the time...so that chapter is closed...now i cook whatever i want...but she will come to inspect...and poke her nose all the time...stand on my head which irritates...will ask me as to what i am cooking...when i tell her,then she will tell me not to make that...make some other thing...that all the more bugs...then she will say-onions are less or dont add this or dont add that...uff...sick woman...donno when i will get rid of her...:bonkim really tired...then whatever i cook and its really tasty both son n monther will never apprecitate but yes when slightest of thing goes wrong ever-they start commenting..;son is allso no less'.
    Im just tired...i feel why did i ever get married...why on earth such men get married if they cant get their umbilical cord cut from their mom...and moms dont want to leave them...
    they make the life of the female hell.

@menku and the rest who go through this post...

now as i said she is also sleeping wth us in the same room..that kind of really irritates me...ev week i tell him -its been 3 weeks that iv been telling him to get a new ac but no...he would alwas say that he has to get it done and will do itinn the weekend -but when the weekend comes then he jus wants to laze around..u tell me to cut the wire-well he will v well find out about it and easily will mend it....its all ridiculous...i feel im the one ony who wants privacy...want some space...it doesnt bother him at all.
    i wonder sometimes what kind of a man he is...she as it is goes every weekend with us only wherever we go...what time do we spend togeher as a couple...not that i have not spoken about it to him..every time i talk to him about it-he agrees as if ev thing will fall right..but no...things are all the same....if we dont spend time with each other how can we make a strong bond...
    I dont feel like staying here ony..feel as if im a maid who is doing all the cooking and cleaning and also doing my office work...what am i geting out of it.in turn the mother gets all the more time to spend with son while im cooking....dont know how to settle things...iv been taking n no of efforts...but all go in vain...
    on top of that when i have a slightest of argument with my husband be it for a v silly reason...she will add fuel to the fire...she enjoys it...and both of them stop speaking to me..i feel so lonely that time cant tell u...im so pissed off of all this crap...they behave like kindergarden children.....
    donno what to do...
    U told me to take control over things menku,u tell me what control do i take over him...what?...my hubby is not a man.....he still behaves like a litle boy going to his mom for every thing and wanting to be spoon fed all the time...
    sick of him..Mil will obviously enjoy ...this is what she wants...and she is making her way...-Its the sons responsibility to balance out both the ladies...oh God im so frustrated cant tell u...dont feel like going back home also...every thing is a mess..as much as i try to settle things...God doesnt help me only...:rant
    Where r u God...they say God helps those who help themselves..but when im trying to sort out things why dont i see a ray of hope..
    HELP!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kenny, If she is sleeping in your room because she also want an AC and if your husband is not so prompt in getting one...will it be possible for you to buy an AC for her room? I ask this since I read you are also working, then she wont have any excuses to sleep btn you both. Tell your hubby that if he is still going to laze around about fitting an AC in her room you are going to do it.Give him one more week and if he still doesnt bother try doing it yourself...I think overall it will take only 1-2days.

9. ArunaSashi

ArunaSashi Bronze IL'ite

Kenny,
    Seriously, the problem is with your husband!
    Does he even understand the concept of privacy??!!
    A mil who sleeps in the same room!! Really weird people.. Even a kid would have sense enough to leave you some space..

Deal with your husband first! Bring this up and talk to him.. be clear..

First think about what you are going to say and HOW!

How you put it is important..

10. blueblazer

blueblazer New IL'ite

I have been married to mama's boy for the last 12 years and trust me, it wasn't an easy ride. Mine was a love marriage but couldn't figure out this thing before marriage. Dumb me :bonk. I lived with my inlaws for around 3 years then we moved to US. Even after coming to US, he was remotely controlled by her.
    He changed a lot after having kids, I involved him with kids all the time. I always tried to bind him with kids. He eventually stopped thinking about his mom all the time and started paying attention to kids and then eventually me. Believe me , blood is thicker than water.
    Right now, his mom is his blood while you aren't. But when kids come in life, men change a lot. I could do that because I wasn't living with her. It might me a bit harder for you because she is with you guys. Now my advice to you...........
    Don't live by her rules. Make your own rules. Life is short so live it fully. Don't waste it by thinking about her.GET HER OUT OF YOUR HEAD FIRST. If your husband doesn't listen to you right now don't fret. Go out with your friends and have fun. You will end up spoiling your own health if you will stay with them all the time. If I were you I will make myself look gooooood all the time, get out of the house with my friends and make my husband jealous so that he will be one who will need me and that will make your mil jealous :biglaugh. Go for it girl, win your war against your mil and remember. No crying in front of your mil and husband. That will make them look like winner. Always laugh and show that "I don't care about you" kind of attitude. Have fun and masti during the week and keep smiling during the weekend. Who will like to listen to an old woman's whining when there is one smiling, happy, pretty girl in the house always ready to have fun.