What to Buy in Delhi

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by Shireen88, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Shireen88

Shireen88 New IL'ite

Delhi is THE hub for shopping. If you are a shopping freak then you are in the right place.

The place is a one-stop destination to buy clothes, antiques, mementos, handicrafts and what not. It is said that," it is not Delhi that has many bazaars but it is bazaars that has a Delhi in between". The statement is not at all an exaggeration.

The shopping hub is Old Delhi area. Start with clothes and you have Karol Bagh, the largest cloth market in the country.

The area is famous for traditional Indian attires such as Jodhpuri and Sherwani. You can also shop for saris here.

A visit to Delhi can't be complete without buying Khadi material. The best place is the government emporium at the Regal building near Connaught Palace.

In antiques, the cheap, best and the authentic shops are situated in various alleys of the walled city. The best are in Dariba Kalan.

Then you have bangles in the Dariba Kalan and embroidered shoes in Ballimaran. These are a must buy.

For handicrafts, there are many options in your kitty. The best is the series of shops near the Connaught Place known as state emporiums.

You also have the famous Delhi Haat for buying handicrafts items. Go there only if you are good at bargaining.

Anyways this will hep a lot to those who just want shop the whole day in Delhi.. Isn't it?

2. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

This is Indeed a nice information who are visiting Delhi Only for shopping. I too had gone to those place, nice enjoyment. But I found khan market a place to go for shopping.

It is U-shaped, well established market that's one of Delhi's classiest.

It's got a loyal following who go there to shop at its branded outlets. One of the best things about this market is its interesting book shops. It's also got some excellent tailors who will make you a suit in less than a week. For Ayurvedic food, medicine and skin care check out Biotique, and Khadi.

The most important part is Hidden away, you'll find some great lounges to relax in, many with balconies overlooking the street.

Did you go there?

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Menila: What area of Delhi has Khan market?
    Shireen: You have noted lots of good places for shopping in Delhi. I will add that those who love henna: the Khaadi Emporium also stocks many colors of henna powder at modest prices.

Of late I have been doing my shopping in Rajouri Garden for most stuff. It has a lot of shops with everything from a good bakery shop to festival/party goods to home appliances to womens and mens wear. The new mall is more pricey...I like the older shops in the main market area.

At CP I always stop over at Shankar Market....there is a really good bookshop there for rare used books including a huge assortment of religion/philosophy books.

Up in Majnu ka Tilla there is good shoping for Tibetan items that are hard to find. Many foreign religious students shop there. You can also get good Tibetan food at the restaurants there.

4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Tashidelek : Khan Market is located near Lodi Road in South Delhi. Nearby landmarks include the Lodi Gardens and the UPSC on Shahjahan Road.

I prefer the Sarojini Nagar Market in Sarojini Nagar. You can everything you need in the Sarojini Nagar Market that too at very reasonable prices. There are shops selling everything from bed sheets, crockery, saris, salwar kameez, dress materials, inner wear, toys, and consumer goods.

Many families come here for shopping whenever there is a wedding in the family as there are shop owners who are now the second or third generation. There is a vegetable market too for those looking for fresh vegetables.

If you care for a bite after all the heavy duty shopping, there are plenty of options from dosas to burgers and ice creams.:thumbsup