what to buy and where to visit

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by dheepika, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dheepika

dheepika New IL'ite

Hi All,

We came to frankfurt last month 22nd, our stay here will be till february end, so from now it self i wanted to buy some art items or some house hold things for our new flat which we will be occupying in the july 2011.

can any one suggest me that what i can buy, i do not have too many options i should be choosey, should not be costly too (compare to india looks everthing costly :).

also suggest me the places i should not miss to visit. if you could give me a small plan for one day two days trip in and around germany and nearest countries, that will be helpfull for me to plan, my husband getting two long week ends in this coming month.

i know everyone will be busy to celebrate the christmas :biglaughplease spare some time.

thanks in advance.
    dheepika

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Dheepika,

What to buy and where tovisit...depends on your interests-outdoors/architecture/countryside/historical perspective...

If you like old towns-there's Wurzburg, Rottenberg, bayreuth, Bamberg...anywhere from 2-3 hrs from Frankfurt...if you go to the residence at Wurzburg, do check the timings for the english guided tour...the information is hilarious (which u miss if u don't undrstand German) and some of the best rooms are for tours only.

If you like the outdoors-great time to ski...only it is tought to find lastminute deals coz of the season.

I assume you've already visited Wiesbaden and Mainz. I enjoyed Prague and Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic...in this season it is probably nice to visit towns and cities as you can wander around and step into nice coffee shops and cafes and take a break from the weather.

As for shopping...if you like crystalware...there is this amazing place in Neustadt near Weiden (in Bavaria). Nachtman which also makes the Tiffany crystal and Speigleu glass has a factory in this tiny town...there is an outlet store and on fridays only between 9 and 5 (i think), they have a warehouse sale...you can buy the high end crystalware at 1/10th the price. ofcourse if you plan a trp to that region of Bavaria, you can go to this outlet, visit regensburg, nuremberg...possibly some skiing slopes maybe near...check it out.

Theer's also pottery...there is a pottery place in Bamberg which has lovely glazed piecs-both decorative and functional (like kitchenware) I don't remember the name rght off the bat...but u can do a google search

Unfortunately I've answered based on my interests...hope you find something here.
    r