1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What the signs foretell…

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

What the signs foretell…

‘Ghanan ghanan ghanan….

</PRE>Ghanan ghanan ghir ghir aaye badra…

Kaale megha, kaale megha paani to barsaao…’

The scene is fresh in one's mind, the parched earth, the overcast skies, the ominous dark clouds, the expectant faces and the anticipation of the ‘boondon ke baan’… alas! as we all know only too well, this is one scenario where the signs fail to keep their promise (and thereby hangs the tale of Lagaan!)

Those were the days of the ‘Illustrated Weekly of India’, synonymous with A.S. Raman, M.V.Kamat, Khuswant Singh, Pritish Nandi… the class of ’69 gathered together to read some of the best writers in English, to enjoy R.K. Laxman and Mario Miranda’s cartoons and of course, check out ‘What the stars foretell’ and laugh at the predictions… (no one would have been more heart-broken than our gang when the ‘IwoI’ passed away at the ripe old age of 112!). Khuswant Singh once confessed that when he was in a predicament, the astrologer being late with his predictions, he read some of the earlier forecasts and made a hotch-potch of them for the column, none being the wiser!

Another friend was an avid reader of The Hindu Sunday Magazine, specially the forecast columns using the Sun Signs as well as the lunar calendar and swore by them. He did wonder why the editor suddenly decided to do away with them one fine day…

Actually, this write-up has not much to do with sun or moon signs and forecasts…personally speaking, many of them did not really come true. Rather, if one learns to decode the signs in one’s daily life, it may save a lot of frayed tempers and bring more peace on the home or work front?

A door that bangs shut… oh oh! hubby dear in a not-so-good mood… quick! lead him to the garma-garam pakodas… (no no, not me, this is my neighbour’s advice!)

The din and clatter of vessels being rudely rattled and stacked away surely forebodes the wrath of a maid who probably had a rough time with her spouse and children… treat her with kid gloves…or you may end up doing likewise!

This happened a few years after we were married, life with an extended family…

At dinner, it suddenly struck me that my better half had had a second and third helping of rotis and ‘Ajmeri Sabzi’, contrary to his usual custom… yes, I read the signs correctly, that’s how he showed his appreciation… I cherish that particular moment!

(Dear readers, please take this in a lighter vein, no offence meant to anyone)

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,

I am not prone to star gazing really! Yet I have gone through the motions of reading predictions and turning to the pages of 'What the signs foretell..'! They mostly were so generalized or all comprehensive, it never really entertained me. I can well imagine that there were more than one Khushwant Singh trying out this re-shuffle game more often than we can imagine!!

I was already a bit vary of it having experienced my dad's craze in matters such as this! Now my friend tags along with me during our walks explaining non-stop how the planets placed in various houses of her horoscope is influencing her diet, her sleep and every facet of her life!

Good for her. I would love to be convinced in things like that. But too bad for me, all I can do is look up to the vast skies and wonder why things happen like they happen to me........!

Maybe I should start gazing now...at the stars or crystals I mean! :hide:

L, Kamla

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. Padmasrinivas

Dear Kamla,

Made my day for being the first one here!

Am off on a day trip with the 'girls'!

More later,
    Love,
    Padma

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS,
    Whether any one believes or not, what the stars foretell, it is human tendency to leaf through the page. There might be some rare exceptions.

A door that bangs shut......
    A din and clatter of vessels.......

Ha! Ha! Ghar ghar ki kahani....

Love,
    PS

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear paddu,

good to see you back with a rocking post.:) though i too am not a believer of astrology at all I do remember grabbing the sunday mid day to see what Bhejan daruwala had predicted for me for the week :biglaugh also in college we were all avid fans of Linda Goodman......ha ! those were the "fun" days...

Rather, if one learns to decode the signs in one’s daily life, it may save a lot of frayed tempers and bring more peace on the home or work front?

Now this is practical and necessary... :thumbsup it makes sense to study the world and people around you and accordingly behave.that guarantees happiness and peace.

Hope you had a good day with the girls.:)

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rPadma,

You know why K hushwant did not beleive in Astrologers? I think, bcs everyone must have told him that u wont cross 60, wioth yr bad habits like drinking, and looking at girls, and thinking and writing naughy things, and he must be chuckling now at 95m , and still going strong, while thiose astrologers must be dead by now.HAHA

Loved this lovely piece by u, took me back to those days too.

Regards

kamal

7. Padmasrinivas

Dear Kamla,

Back again, after a very enjoyable 'Girls' Day Out' ...

There are many who believe in the stars and feel happy to be guided by them... I admire their faith and equanimity...

Having said that, I have a strong conviction that whatever happens in my life has been ordained, not by the Supreme Consciousness, but by my own past deeds... I do believe in the Karmic Theory!

My reference to forecasts et al was just a prelude to introduce a lighter vein vis-a-vis reading the signs in normal (and not-so-usual) incidents in life...

Thanks again for coming here first, Kamla...it is special...

Love,
    Padma

8. monikakrishna76

monikakrishna76 New IL'ite

i dont beleive in astrology.
    with my enormous experience in life....I BELEIVE IN the "ASTROLOGER".

It means its the divine in the astrologer which predicts and makes the difference., and not the text book of astrology.

9. Padmasrinivas

Dear PS,

I agree whole-heartedly with your view... one is curious to see if at least some good things are written in the forecast!

Nice summing up 'Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki'!

Thank you so much for stopping by, PS, my friend!

Love,
    PS

10. Padmasrinivas

Mindi dear!

A walk down memory lane, Linda Goodman's 'Sun Signs'...
    Bejan Daruwalla and Ganesha says...

Yesss!!! You have understood exactly what I meant to convey through this post...To decipher the signs in our lives and learn from them... makes us laugh at and with life!

Oh yes, we 'girls' had an absolutely fun day...

Thanks for being here, Mindi dear!

Love,
    Padma