1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what the frogs foretell....!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

What the frogs foretell…..!

What the frogs foretell. Sounds so much like what the stars foretell ?. Ya for me too. I do have an interest in astrology or at least the ones that predict what is in store for the week ahead. The tarot reading in the Indian express on work, health, career and relationships once you apply the general predictions to yourself sometimes sure work out well.
    Well I am going off topic here I think so back to frogs then. I am not talking about the fengshui golden frog with a coin in its mouth either. That golden frog is supposed to bring in bounties when placed on the floor opposite the main door. My maid will have a tough time keeping it on the shelf while she tidies up the place then replacing it on the floor? No idea I should consult her great self before I go finding that golden frog that bring in bounties.
    The frogs in our place are slightly different. No, not the looks they look much the same. Sometimes fat, sometimes tiny. The dark black ones, the moderate brown, the slimy, the flying. Luckily we don’t have a pond nearby that they go croak croak croak for a never ending lullaby.
    We have stairs outside below a jamun tree that leads to our bedroom. On either side of each step you find frogs small big and or thin. Luckily they are not the flying type. Luckily for my husband I am not the screeching kind whenever I see lizards ( an entirely different story to tell about garden HUGE lizards) or faint on the doorstep with croaks crawling all over the place. We have grill gates fitted which we keep shut all the time whether we are inside the room or out. The frogs are sometimes sitting very close by this gate to get a chance to get into the room. My husband keeps reminding me to close shut this gate. And I keep telling him. Do you have to insist?. Why can’t you just throw the frog out in case it enters. But he is no good at catching frogs. So shut the gate I must.
    Last year there were very little rains. This year is somewhat ok. So whenever the sky is overcast out come the froggies each one catching (?) his post on either side of the step. And sure enough there are showers. (Reminds me of the great king vikramaditya and his throne wherein sat dolls on each side and recited or said stories great of the great king). We have started looking out for them whenever we welcome rains. I boldly leave the gate open when I find frogs missing. No rains no frogs and vice versa…!!

sathya

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

aha u reminded me about our house frogs too, the janak little imp of vidya my sis had a tug with the golden frog and broke the coin with so much of enthusiasm it was lying on the table for a very long time, i had no heart to throw it, then found no use keeping something that is fengshui without its coin in the mouth so out went the frog along the new drizzle that is happening here...they say when frogs come inside money does come, it was living in my kitchen never to go out for more so many years and i must say after all those repairs i do miss it with despair...akka

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Sathya Dearest
    Trust you to tell a unique topic in a very Unique way..
    I so much enjoyed many lines, first about the maid.. oh no doubt there we better ask them first before we as much think of getting anything..
    and then thank god we dont faint at the sight of lizards, ants and ofcourse frogs..
    Isnt it extemely interesting to note how they sense rain and how they come out.. its one of the wonders Nature is..

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sathya,
    Your 'forecaster' frogs reminded me of our pet 'cocoa'.
    He is an outside pet and we used to keep him outdoors.
    Once he 'smells' rain,on a cloudy day, he will bark continously and make us let him inside.
    He is afraid of 'thunder and lightning', too!

Another forecaster in our house was a table we had kept in the verandah at our old house. you can notice the 'wetness' in their 'legs' before the rain comes!

We miss our pet,Cocoa, our verandah with that table, a lot!

sriniketan

5. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Here we don't get to see frogs anymore. Come rains. No croaking any more. This has been happening since 5 to8years. It had become an export commodity.
    Now many educational institutions have banned 'frog experiments' in the biology labs.

The snakes are deprived of their prey. Subsequently sometimes people staying in ground floor face problems. This is the state in Goa.

During the earlier days in Goa I have seen youth catching those frogs. For some it was a delicacy. No Comments!

Very much they have become an extinct species.

Ur thread is really good.:thumbsup I enjoy reading and giving FB for such posts. kanaka

6. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello akka

when frogs come inside money comes or not screeches come ...they hop hop and we hop hop to avoid or chase them out...they want the indoor just as much as we do...their jump right...!!

sathya

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello chitra

glad your liked the frogs and rain writeup...sure there are more rainwatchers in nature...i did once read something about it somewhere..only when i see it i say to myself ah..yes rain is sure to come...
    love the rains
    you are right there are quite a few people ...my aunt for one,,..who screech at the sight of roaches and lizards ..thank god i am not like that...imagine there are plenty of garden lizards.... the huge variety at least a couple of them on each wall...even in the bedroom...!!

sathya

8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello srini

your cocoa sounds so much like our bowsy when we were kids he would bring the house down by just scratching the closed door to let him in and scatter with all his might if he is wet making all of us wet too...!! the table forecaster is new news..!!

sathya

9. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello kanaka

the human race is one selfish one. will do anything for taste...break the ecological chain and then suffer in the long run. thank you for enjoying the croak croak..

sathya