What tests should be carried out before getting pregnant?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by madhurima83, Jan 9, 2014.

1. madhurima83

madhurima83 New IL'ite

Hi, I am a healthy 30 year old. I have been married for 1 and a half years. I have no pre-existing health conditions and my periods have always been regular and on time. Is there any test that I should do before I get pregnant? We are trying to start a family soon.
    PS- I had typhoid last month but i have fully recovered now. will that have an impact on the pregnancy?

2. nithyadavidson

nithyadavidson Bronze IL'ite

hi Madhu,

there is no specific tests that should be taken before trying for a family, you can try for nearly 6 months and then if nothing works out you can check with gyn. Most of the gyn will just give vitamin tablets or basic test like blood test etc for first 3 months, after that only they will start the infertility treatment. So no worries, just enjoy and things will fall in place. All the best.

3. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Hi!
    If your periods are regular,good flow.no cramps.no clots coming same time every month-85% no problems.Also infertility is not becoming pregnant after 1 year of unprotectedintercourse.
    Basic tests will be Fsh,LH,Prolactin levels in blood hemoglobin,total count.esr,urine analysis,blood sugar testing,ultrasound pelvis(to see uterus,ovaries etc..)HSG-to see if tubes are not blocked
    .For men beside blood work-semen analysis is done.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Be sure to check early for any anemia as it takes a while to get the iron levels built up in the blood. Anemia has been linked to some birth defect problems and also you need a sufficient level to counter any blood loss at delivery.

I would also suggest doing yoga or pilates to build up your core muscles as these will make delivery easier. Be active to stay fit. Also try to get adequate protein levels in your diet. Get your teeth fixed now so you don't have to go to the dentist when you are pregnant.

Taking a year to get pregnant, if it doesn't happen sooner, is absolutely normal. Stay relaxed and enjoy this period of time.

5. Mona2312

Mona2312 Senior IL'ite

hi .madhurima,

as i know if u have no problem in ur period etc. no specific tests are needed. o
    but i will definatly say go to doc and do some test as doc suggest.
    like CBC(basic blood test,) TSH ( thyroid), HIV
    and ur hubby should go seman analysis andCBC( basic blood test)
    if u do these it will conferm the helth issue related to you , your DH and your baby in future

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Madhu...I would recommend that you and your hubby try for about 6 - 9 months and if no luck, then visit your doc for further investigations. The most important test I would recommend is the rubella test coz once you conceive, if you #s are low, some docs get a little paranoid about....rest of the stuff can be managed with some medications.

best wishes in advance...