1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What should we throw into the Bhogi fire???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shakambari, Jan 13, 2010.

1. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Every year ,the evening before Bhogi I close and bolt all the doors and windows of my house meticulously-

Not because some thief has made it a habit to enter my house on Bhogi Eve...

But the thick smoke emanating from my neighbourhood slums' Bhogi bonfire in the small hours of the morning will engulf my rooms and leave me panting and coughing and the smoke smell will cling to my upholstery and fabrics and make life irritating for a few days atleast!

Well ...I am not going to go on and on about the hazards of smoke,pollution and the likes...

It is a custom of many Chennaivasis and let them enjoy it within the prescribed limits-

But ,Instead of throwing old junk into the bhogi fire to get rid of them
    just think what else can we throw into it to make our lives and that of those around us better?

Old pent up anger-

enemity-

avarice-

laziness-

ill health-

bad habits....

my list went on and on ...

If at all we decide to" Play Bhogi" and burn(if atleast symbolically)
    these negativities in us, wont we change for the better?

I thought I sounded too Utopian...

But -I feel all these qualities are phoenix-like...the will rise again from the Bhogi fire sooner or later-

But definintely even if they are burnt out for a short while-the world around us will be a better place.

What do you think?

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Lovely post Shaka!
    This exactly what we are supposed to do. Burning old is physical manifestation while burning the bad attributes is the real crux of bhogi.

Even if we do it for a short time, it will be good as you said.

Jaya

3. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Exactly said aunty...

You have written my thoughts..A wonderful post to examine ourselves.

Yes for every new year our rigid and old attitude should be changed..

Old things are burnt things atleast it can be used by others...

But our attitude is a threat and disgusting to all..

It should be burnt out...

4. shakambari

Thanx for appreciating my views,Jaya.

On this bhogi day -why not we try to get rid of atleast one negative trait of ours...

5. shakambari

Thanx for dropping by and giving your fb,Prettina.

Definitely our unwanted material belonging may find useful and needy takers-who may even be thankful to have them.

Some of us donate them but many hoard them or sell them or if they are of no good...burn them!

But our undesired traits-Lets burn them-in our hearts itself.

But ironically,we are too happy and relieved when we dump them on others wantonly or otherwise!

6. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Shakambari,

a very nice thought provoking thread.

i completely agree with you.

i refer to your earlier thread where we discussed about organising & disposing of wastes that we accumulate.

for material wastes - yes we can find a solution and there are ways & means to dispose them in an environmentally safe way.

the detoxyfying thread by sriniketan also talks about cleaning the individuals mind.

unless otherwise each individual takes responsibility and gets rid off the bad things, there is no other proven system to clean our inner self.

in the contest held for Crazy Ideas i forgot to post my idea: That would be a DEVICE TO CLEAN THE MIND OF INDIVIDUALS, just wear it as a head phone or get into the device as you are taken into the MRI Scanner and clean oneself, and on a regular basis. Similar to that of DEFRAGMENT we do on a computer hard disk to delete unwanted stuff & organise the data.

Coming to the Bhogi part, i have strong belief that this ritual would have actually meant to remind people to get rid of bad things in the mind & as a token of reminder / recognition, burn some wastes at home.

We are human beings, we must have conveniently forgotten the main plot & ritually started following or associating that to burn the wastes.

Bhogi kae bhaad Pongal hai, let's enjoy the PONGAL.

let your thoughts keep lingering in our minds and remind us to get off the bad habbits we have.

7. shakambari

Thanx for your enlightening fb,Natpudan.

Your idea-is definitely NOT crazy-thats why you have not posted it in the contest forum. It is a Necessity...to make the world a better place to live in.

Instead of doing some inner cleansing we are polluting our surroundings in the name of a practice whose essence is long lost.

And,

Just now my maid tells me her "brave" son burnt a plastic bucket for Bhogi
    and gave the cops a slip!

That is heroism in their group.

When gently prodded she says when even educated people burn things how will they illiterates not do so...and what if some illluck befalls them if they change the practice!!!!!

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very very nice thought, Shakambari.

I am reminded of a movie where Vivek, argues with the elderly to give those things they throw in the fire, for the needy ones.

As Bhogi is already passed..let us have this kind of bhogi everyday to clean ourselves, up!

sriniketan

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shakambari,

What a thoughtful post!

I agree totally with you. Hope we can throw our negativeness into the bhogi fire instead of material things causing pollution.

How true that they are bound to rise from the fire once again, but if we keep repeating the act consciously, maybe its strength will get weakened?!

Happy Pongal to you and all.

L, Kamla

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shakambari

Thought provoking post. As others have mentioned we should throw the negative thoughts into the Bhogi fire.

Actually first when I read yourtittle I thought you are asking what we should through in Bhogi fire. Since we do not celebrate Bhogi I did not read your post otherwise I would have been the first to give the fb.
    When I saw that someone has given the reply then only I went through your post. Very nicely written. Hope we will be able to follow it.

love
    viji