1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What Should I Do To Get A Job Here

Discussion in 'Indians in Massachusetts' started by whynotme, Jan 23, 2018.

1. whynotme

whynotme Bronze IL'ite

am in the USA for 10 years now. I have never worked here. I have worked in a BPO in india. My qualification is BSc. I have a H4 EAD now. I want to work. What kind of work will I get here with just BSc? Should I learn some course? Without an engineering background can I work in IT by doing some course? One of my friend suggested medical coding or Quickbooks? Is that easy to learn? Please help me. I feel so sad and helpless. Please help.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

There's no need to feel sad and helpless! :beer-toast1: If you are willing to invest some time, energy and money, there's a good chance that you can find a job. However, this is not a "one-post" conversation. It needs to be a longer discussion. A lot depends on the resources you have available and your goals in seeking employment - and of course, your level of motivation! :wink1:

First, start with your constraints. What are the aspects of your life that are inflexible? Family obligations? Small children? Finances? Such constraints can make things difficult. So, figure those out first and then see what your options are. You are right that a BSc may be a limitation since many jobs/graduate degree programs in the US require a four-year degree. So perhaps you need first to initiate a conversation on how you can bring your educational qualification to the US standard.

Also: You will get more feedback if you post this in the Working Women thread here.

More later if you reply to this.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    whynotme and Sandycandy like this.
  3. whynotme

whynotme Bronze IL'ite

I was looking for somebody to help me, I am glad u took time to explain. Please let me know what I should do. I am frustrated because my parents & relatives ask me to go back to work & I also feel bored sitting at home. My husband is ok with me even if I work or not. He said if I need to do any course he is ready to help me as well. My kids are going to school so i feel this is the right time for Me to start going to work.

4. whynotme

whynotme Bronze IL'ite

I was looking for somebody to help me, I am glad u took time to explain. Please let me know what I should do. I am frustrated because my parents & relatives ask me to go back to work & I also feel bored sitting at home. My husband is ok with me even if I work or not. He said if I need to do any course he is ready to help me as well. My kids are going to school so i feel this is the right time for Me to start going to work.

5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You have support and a little time. That is good!

The next question is to figure out why you want to get a job. There could be many reasons, none of them exclusive, but reflecting on your motivations will clarify for you the extent of the resources - time, energy, money - you are willing to invest. Are you doing this to please relatives? To get out of the house? To make money? To gain independence? To build a career? To expand your horizons? Sort this out first. For example, something like medical coding or Quickbooks can provide a job and get you out of the house, but may not exactly be a career or a mind-expanding experience.

Next, consider whether you want to build on your existing qualifications (education and work experience) or whether you want to use that as a base and strike out in a new direction.

Last but not least - think about where you live in MA. There is a slew of universities in Boston, but fewer as you move away. Would you prefer to study on campus or online? I generally recommend the former, especially for someone who has no US educational experience - access to a good library (and related university resources) is alone worth the fee, among other things.

More later if you respond.