1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Should I Do? Please Advice.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sweetygals, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Im married for 4 years. Both are working. Have 1 kid. Always got good suggestions from IL. So came back for the same.
    From day 1 of marriage my husband/inlaws would try to control me and get things done in their way. I have a SIL with 1 kid who is staying with my inlaws. They all stay in my husband house and with his money. He never shared with all detalis with me. Other than controlling and money issues we were happy together. Thanks to IL friends i could solve these money problems in better way by following suggestions from here.

So i was actually happy seeing my husband change in behavior. But my in laws they cant digest all this. So started their problems.
    They say that i always think them as outsider and i dont talk to them at all. Dont stay with them at all. Because i dont want to come into their family. Just want his son. So behaving and talking nicely to him.
    Actually im an introvert who dont talk much. So initial days i was not talking to them so much.
    Later there was so many issues because of my mil and sil between me and my husband. To keep myself in peace i jus say hi,bye to them also it is really tough to talk to my MIL also. Can refer to my early threads.

When i spoke to my mil in phone recently. She scolded me badly in name of advice. I politely kept the phone. Did not talk much. After that i told my husband that im not going to talk to her anymore as she scolds me badly. He did not pay attention to my words and said me to ignore his mom words. As she is older woman.
    Anyway i stopped calling her. Now my SIL and kid want to visit us for her vacation my husband did not pay attention i think.
    And now my MIL has asked wtr u have booked tickets for her. When he said No, she started screaming saying u need ur wife permission to do this. U have changed. She has chnaged u. U r ignoring my words completely. U will not take care of ur sister anymore. Ur wife also not talking to me. My husband supported me this time to her. So she got so irritated. She is not talking with him anymore. This is an usual black mail wch she does every time to threaten my husband.
    My husband told all this to me and said that he will book tickets for them. I said ok. Confirm the dates with her prior doing this.
    When he called her and asked for dates she shouted back saying why all of a sudden u r doing this. U have changed so badly. Ur wife dont give us any respect She dont talk to me and my kid. Why should i come there. Converstaion got heated. Both fought and kept as she said she wont stay in his house and money anymore(it is also usual drama). I was also around him only. So he shouted to me saying i have separated all his relatives from him. No one wants to come his home. I asked him back what did i do. Do they talk to me nicely. During last vacation for my SIL birthday my husband got jewels for her. I went with him to select good design for her as a surprise gift. Please note that he did not even got birthday dress for me that year saying we invested in a property. So dont have money. I chose to ignore at that time. When my husband gave her i was not around. She was so silent and did not say it was good at least. So i asked at least if she thinks so friendly she could have at least told design was nice. But she did not even did that. And hide all the things from me. And now complaining that im not talking properly to them. So smart.
    He said how dare u could talk to me like this.
    He did not talk after that. I know he is angry on me.

Now he is saying that i should call her and ask her why she is so angry on me. What did i do. Ignore such small things as im younger. And visit us and lets have fun vacation.
    I said i have not done anything wrong. As a brother wife i have not disturbed her at all.
    He said u r also no different from them, causing more problems to me.
    I dont know what to do. I wont say my husband is perfect but he is ok and i could see some positive change on him. So thinking may be i should talk to her just for him. And also His silent treatment will go on if he talks also he will keep saying that no one is talking, and im responsible for this.

On the other side if i give up now they might think their strategy works and they still have power to create problems between us. And even if they visit us they would be creating all problems like this. This is not new to me. And they will be so happy that they can always command me. And my husband jus love them so badly he would fight me like anyhting. But he is giving silent treatment because he is also worried that if things are worsen i would leave him. Based on our pervious fights he know this i would do this.
    But this time i really dknow what to do. Please suggest me how to handle this

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Giving everyone some time to calm down would be a better thing in this situation. This is nothing but a power game.

You already know that this is the usual drama n a competition to prove who's the boss, also everything you have written about 'what will happen if you give up' also makes sense.

So tell him,
    - things are hot now, during these times, even good things can seem bad n everyone needs to time to calm down, so let's stop talking about all this n focus on our day to day life.
    - N this vacation can be planned after everyone are back to normal or else even the vacation will be ruined n definitely won't be "fun" n will only add more drama.
    - Tell him ups n downs, hate n love, anger n happiness is all part of life n to stop taking every fight n argument to his head n ruin his own home n peace.
    - Tell him it's not the first fight n it won't be the last one either. So relax n just understand the situation n the people n being quiet would help the situation rather than talking n creating more fights.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Based on your previous experience....you know what will happen.
    Op your husband is the kind who will always be twisted by the women in his life. It is time you let him know you will not be twisted along with him.

Tell him you will talk after a few weeks because otherwise it sends a wrong message that they can get whatever they want done by screaming and shouting at you and him .Tell him you are tired of this drama and you don't want to encourage this behavior any longer.Tell him you do not have to take such nonsense for ever.

After two weeks tell him you will talk but if there is a rude response from them ,you are going to switch off.

If he continues his silent treatment,let him.
    You continue with your life happily.
    Make good food. Wear good clothes,look nice ,smell nice and live normally.

4. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Op, my dh is also same like your dh. I can understand. But don't bend. You know this is their game plan. Let dh give silent treatment. How long will he go on? A week or two? Or a month? Definitely not for a lifetime right?
    Behave normally and care for your dh. But don't give in and bend to talk to your inlaws or sil who are robbing off peace from your life.

My inlaws are similar. Always brainwashing my dh that after marriage he is changed. But I have stopped calling them fully. I dont like to fake talk to keep relations. It has to come from heart.

5. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the reply!

@yellowmango Wow u understood my husband correctly :) Dknow how to change him. So i gave up and started living my life.

Just want to understand what should i do for all the not talking well, not mingling with our family complaint. They keep saying this from day 1 of marriage. I'm not talking with them colloquially, not mingling with his family. When my husband said im an introvert they say she talks nicely to u and in workplace.

Now i dont have strength to talk to these people. And i know them since i dont talk they cant complain anything to my husband. So now im intentionally avoiding them. Both are perfect drama queens. And tell me only things which they feel like and call them so friendly and share things to me. I call them occasionally listen to all their stories and cut the call. Whereas they want me to share day to day things to them as they do to me (!?). If i share something to them it always comes back to me saying this should have been done better way.
    Im not good n talking back and losing my peace after talking to them. Thatsy I completely stopped talking to my mil for few days.
    My husband keeps saying this often, talk to them nicely. They will be happy they dont ask ur money. Just be free with them. U r not staying with them. But soon we all will stay in one family. At that time what will u do. How will u manage.

So i always say whatever i talk they take differently and yells at me sometime. Which is not right behaviour.
    And also, they don’t talk back to me properly. Hiding many things. They have not done anything to me or my kid. So why should i only talk to them. Why can’t they behave nicely at least once? Cant they say atleast u have got something good for us.
    I know them this will not end even if i talk. They would have some other complaints on me.

For all these he always try from ur side 2 or 3 times call them and talk nicely. Say day to day things. Ask about her kid. Share everything. Make an attempt from ur side just for me.

I really dknw how to handle this. And what they really want me to share because i really dknow what to talk to them. I dknow to act smartly here, and losing my peace after talking to them. But how to convince my husband. Since he keeps saying that i dont want his family jus him.
    Please give ur suggestions.

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, You have to take a stand and say no to your IL's bullying you.Otherwise if you apologize and let this one slide, then you are in long haul of them having their way. IL's are just glorified school bullies who know how to get their way. If your in laws had a problem ,mature way to handle was to talk to you directly and say why did you do this that. Instead they know where to press the right buttons to make you heed to them.They just want to prove how powerful they can be.Your husband cud have been mature and said its b/n you and IL's and they shud try to resolve by themselves instead of involving him .Next time you talk to IL's talk when hubby is present and on speaker. Never more than necessary . If hubby asks to extra nice just say you are and walk away. Your husband theory of you are younger they are elder so you make amends is nonsense. So if you were elder to your SIL then you are elder so do it. Ultimately anyway it boils down to us. Will you become good suddenly. No , then why bother.Enjoy bliss becoz this incident will further limit interaction with IL's.Good Luck.

Sweetygals and Sandycandy like this.
  7. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

I have been extremely nice to them and got hatred, issues, fights, complaint.

I have ignored them and totally not in touch with them I get same.

True just to please dh have gone too low, let go self respect. Over time have realized forget inlaws sil even dh has no appreciation and feel they all are good and me bad..

So these days am trying to be away from them..

Sweetygals likes this.
  8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Jewelry for SIL on birthday ? Your husband should have been my brother !
    Your husband has pampered SIL enough. Why can’t SIL book tickets to visit you guys ? She is an adult isn’t it ?
    You give in and apologize now and things will be back to square one.

9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP,

Best option now will be to completely ignore every one. Give them time to calm down- weeks or months. Dont give in. Like others suggested behave normal for now. This will pass. Same with SILS trip, stop talking about it now. That can also wait. Tell your dh also the same thing.

Once everything settle down, you can start talking to them but once in every week only or less only when your husband is there and with speaker on. Make them aware that you dh is listening. Just talk like hi how are you, tell your kid to talk to grandma/aunty, nothing special etc. You dont have to share everything with them. If they tell something wrong, just call your husband, and ask him to answer them. They will be able to listen to your talk. But talk in very polite diplomatic way, learn some acting if you can to sound like a caring dil and loving wife. Talk as if you dont have any control ask dh, as he is one who decide everything. If they ask something say, "I dont know, ask him" even if they dont like that answer.

That way they dont get a chance to scold you and they cannot complain again that you are not talking to them. It is not possible to cut them completely from your life as they are your dh's mom and sis. So try to learn to manage them in an effective way by maintaining a distance.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

they will not change until u change so let this fight be the one for u .. let them take a step back .. I know this will create huge drama between u n your husband but mend with him but get strong with inlaws..

Sweetygals and Sandycandy like this.