What should I bring with me when I move from U.S. to Chennai?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by SrividyaNKumar, Jan 16, 2010.

1. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

@srividya

can you let me know the approx cost if we ship our things from here , like sofa,tv and bed,
    our sofa set is a second hand one ,so i want to know the shipment price so that i can think whether it is worth to take things from here,

are yout thinking to ship even utensils and cooking ware?
    so based on space i can give u more ideas

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I miss several types of appliances when I am in India. The foremost is a garbage disposer in the sink (don't use for compostables). The second is a good hard/flat floor cleaning machine but I am not sure which one might be better: flat floor machine, steam machine, wet vac. Third thing is a power washer for the stairs outside. I would also stock up on microfiber cloths although perhaps they are available now in India. Flatware for the table is good. Just depends on if you are going to do shopping before moving and if you are going to get a container. I have even considered taking furniture wood to India and having stuff made up. Walnut and cherry woods are good here in USA and will last generations.

1 person likes this.
  3. SrividyaNKumar

SrividyaNKumar Silver IL'ite

Hi Pranavi,
    Sorry for the delayed response. Somehow I missed this thread. Will let you know for sure as soon as I come to know.

Cheers,

Vidyaa

4. SrividyaNKumar

Hi tashidelek2002,
    Thanks for the response. Will think about what you have mentioned. I was alreay thinking about microfiber cloths.. Yes, We are planning to use a container..

Vidyaa

5. SrividyaNKumar

Hi All,
    We couldn't make it earlier and trying to make it this year. Any update on what we should bring from U.S. to Chennai would be helpful.

Thanks,

Vidyaa