What should be the correct length of thaali?Upto navel or upto heart?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by chetavani50, Oct 11, 2012.

1. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Hello lLs,
    What should be the correct length of thaali that we wear? Is it upto the navel or upto our heart? I mean , where shoud the bottu lie on our body? My MIL says it should be upto the navel and my relatives say upto the heart. Which is correct and what is the scientific reason behind this?

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chetavani, What I have heard about this is it should be upto chest level only. neither above nor below. But now a days people wear it as per the fashion trend & convenience. Don't know the scientific reason, but the tradition says so.

1 person likes this.
  3. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Hi Chetavani,
    Yes, I have also heard it's till chest.
    Regards
    Vidyavisu

4. sumaramesh

sumaramesh New IL'ite

Dear Chetavani

I prefer upto chest, i doono about scientific reasons, but if its too long there are lots of chances to hang and cut..
    (It will get hang to tap while bending in restroom.)

5. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

What a question at the time of soaring gold rates!

2 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

chest length.

the anahata chakra (also known as heart chakra) is at that location..

2 people like this.
  7. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

I have seen one girl wear it till her navel and when I asked her about it, she mentioned the reason behind it as thus... The chain comes to near navel so that the gold bit falls there ( near the womb). She mentioned that its supposed to be help with pregnancy. I am not sure how to explain it exactly ( she also dint know), but I understood that its similar to wearing a copper bracelet for health reasons. I think the metal does something.
    If anybody can explain better , It would be great.

8. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

it should be at chest level.. i have not seen ppl wearing till Navel.. will that not be too uncomfortable..

9. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

Thaali is made of thread which should be 9 times of our folder hand. This is done by the Vathyar or Sastrigal who performs the marriage ritual. In other words, the length of the Manjal Saradu would be 3 inches multiplied by 9 times (for the sake of 9 planets) which is 27 inches. If you could place that Manjal Saradu, you can see that it lengths only up to the Heart and not to the navel.

As Moderator Shanvy has posted above, its where the Anahata Chakra Lies (the intersection point of the Sushumna Nadi, Surya nadi and Chandra Nadi). Since the thali is made of Gold (according to tradition, the shape, size, design changes), which protects passing of external radition to this sensitive part.

Hence thali was designed according to traditional methods in olden days by our anchestors and being practised till now..in many parts of our country.

Nowadays, the real impact and importance of wearing the Thali is not being carried to our wards...

(I was in Andhra Pradesh some years back to a friends house... where the thali of my friend was hanging on the wall of the pooja room.. When I asked her, she told, when she leaves the house to market or somewhere, she will just wear it and go....???????? I donno, perhaps it may be customary in andra pradesh or not... but was quite wondering how this they could do.... But I explained the importance and the real significance of the Thali. Since then she never removed from her neck.. thank god, I have saved one person in life)

Sorry for interruption here...
    Malathi Swaminathan

10. lat13

lat13 Senior IL'ite

I am planning to change my thali chain
    1.How many grams thali chain should be.
    2.Any criteria like odd nos r even no in savaram eg.3,5,7,11?
    3. How much length it should be?
    4. Can we put mopu with thali Chain?