What more does Indian Railways need to do to improve its quality of service

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by sugarnspice, Mar 5, 2008.

1. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

I love travelling by train in India, I have been travelling since I was a kid, going to boarding school, and after sightseeing India, etc.,

These days I am amazed at the food available on trains, all hygienically served.

I have just one problem: the toilets! I wish that they could be improved, although having said that, the Indian public needs to be educated in the use of the toilets among other things, people seem to think that they can do just about everything in public places!

I understand that that is also being worked on and that will make it perfect! If people will allow it to remain clean.

I also wish people would not deface the compartments and destroy seats, etc., which they have paid for in taxes and rail fare among other things!

2. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

People need to change their mentality, that any kind of sloppy behaviour works in India, have more consciousness of hygiene and more love & sense of ownership towards the country & public properties.

This will bring the required turnaround that all of us dream of !

3. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    S, gud topic for the day.
    Last week , I came across a news item - A senior citizen was taking a night train , ended up taking his last journey too.:spin:shock:
    Also, in another news , a young mother gave birth in a train toilet, but thankfully, both mother & baby are fine.
    I've heard these many times before. That's when I thought , it's not just enough to give a concession tickets for senior citizen, they also need good first aid facilities for these kind of emergencies. My 2cents .
    It would be better to post doctors in all the stations, or better have a doctor in trains that make night journey.:goodidea:

4. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

With the vast population that we have, it is very difficult to educate people on Hygiene. If we go towards north the conditions of the trains is so pathetic...it becomes very difficult to take long journeys.

I am not complaining...but hygiene in India has never been given importance. We find the educated lot also behaving in a very unhygenic manner...spitting pan and gutkas while travelling in a BMW is a common sight. Using roads as ashtrays is another sight often met. Throwing out things from the vehicles while travelling on road is also common.

How many of us carry a waste bag in the car in case we need to dispose anything while travelling or for that matter even in the trains.

Roopa.

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear SnS,
    Very good topic.I too love traveling by train.Though the conditions of trains have improved from worst to okay, still theres lot more needed.Toilets are always a big concern.They are not watered properly.The wash basins and the quality of water are always bad.Food has little bit improved now.Spitting on platforms/throwing the waste things as and where we like should be stopped.

Basically, i think its we the people who need to follow some kind of discipline and self hygiene to keep our railways better.

6. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

So basically except for Nakshatra who had a brilliant suggestion for a doctor! I( should check on this. What arrangements are made for medical assistance esp on long journeys.) we all agree that more than the railways, it is the general public that needs to change.

I find it amazing, a lot of people agree (even on another forum) north indians are amazingly lacking in hygiene and cleanliness! no offence to any civilised north indians on this forum!