What Makes You Truly Happy? What Did You Lose Interest In?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Apr 12, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Things which makes me truly happy..

1) Tasty good food.especially homemade and hot.warm teas..I realized how much food is important for my soul:)

2) Good sleep.

3) Eating snacks and watching tv.especially old movies.

4) Working out,yoga and dancing.

5) Travel.

6) space..I enjoy quiet and peace a lot..maybe am getting older:)

7) Catching up with my loved ones..

8)My Home.

that’s all that makes me truly happy.

Things I lost interest in..

1) Dressing.Not that I dress shabby but someone am so bored of buying new clothes or trying to look good.I just try to be neat.

2) All the activities like camping, skiing..honestly did all that just as a checklist after coming abroad.I would rather sleep in my cozy bed that try to rough it out.It’s just me.

3) Making new friends.I tried a lot after coming abroad.Made a few..some stayed,many left.Realized any relationship should be organic and not forced. If it happens great! Else nope.

4) Stopped splurging for the home.just keeping it neat and simple.For me..more than enough.

5)Books..this I want to actually change.I used to be an avid reader when younger.but I completely lost interest .this could be changed.

6)Makeup. I am very much at ease with zero makeup..it’s like who cares! I used to be so fond of makeup and looking good a decade back but now lost complete interest.
    Maybe again it could be coz I have grown older but there are women way older than me and dressed to the nines.So guess I cannot blame age:)

Just a casual fun thread.Get to the core of your true feelings and share.I tried and I realized how much I have been wasting my life doing things and being in relationships with people who add no value to my life.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I read title as "what makes you truly happy, why did you lose interest in it?' and started that list in the mind. Clicked on thread to see two lists needed. : ) Kintu, lekin, kaani, haajiman, adare, but, I can do two lists!

Things which makes me truly happy:
    A long hike with less people, fewer or zero cows, kinder downhills.
    A lesser known movie that surprises.
    A quiet house.

Things that I lost interest in (and no regrets) :
    Remodel, redecorate, rearrange, rehash.
    Keeping in touch with people I don't care about.

Things I lost interest in and want to rekindle:
    a foreign language, an instrument I started playing,
    decluttering.

3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Things I like

Sewing
    Painting
    Writing poetry
    Bansuri practice (quite exhausting though)
    Dressing nice

things I lost interest in

TV, esp Desi serials

Trying to approach people for friendship even though I don’t have chemistry with them (just to avoid feeling lonely)

Learning mother tongue. This I want to change. Perhaps I will try Hindi on Duolingo, it is more of a game. Or maybe I will try learning Punjabi again

Reading Guru Granth Sahib (this I want to change) I used to feel I was taken back to an ancient, innocent time in Sikh history with the repetitiveness of the verses, a time if peace.

before modern people polluted and twisted history fortheir own means

Whoa! That was an intense reply!

Thyagarajan, anika987 and Laks09 like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

What makes me happy:

- Appreciation at work: especially whenever you are able to meet the dead-line with quality inputs. This is my daily pill.
    But the awards, promotions & salary hikes excite me.

- Good food: It's been a while since I ate good food. It's been 6 months & I miss the taste of my home country.

Nothing here could please my taste buds. Sometimes, I even dream of eating my favorite Sri Lankan food. Going home on a break & I already have a list of food to catch up during this vacation.

- Kid's progress: I immensely feel happy about their achievements. Even a simple appreciation from their teacher or a certification at pre-school is enough for me to fly high.

- Buying decorative things for home & doing interiors: I am obsessed with this. I enjoy cleaning the house during the weekend & keep changing on the interiors. I enjoy shopping & buying things for the house.

- Siblings: They are my happy pills. My best friends & my pillars of support.
    Talking to them, and planning everything with them like vacation together, buying similar dresses, gifts etc..etc... also make me happy

- Mom's pamper: I am extremely lucky to have mom live with me and to be able to enjoy her pampering even after marriage. Everything she does for me, makes me happy.

Things i don't care anymore:

- My H's love:
    I yearned to win his heart by loosing almost everything including my self respect and health in the past. Now that, he loves me, respects me, likes me, appreciates me. But I just lost interest in them. I don't care whether he loves me or not. I just take it as it comes.

- Gifts: I liked gifts a lot in the past. I always expected gifts on my special days. But I no longer expect or even like any gifts. I would rather buy my own gifts, and be selective in them.

- Movies/Cricket matches: I won't say I have completely lost interest in them. But definitely I am not as mad as I was before.

- Vacations: Other than going back to Sri Lanka & resting in my home, I don't value any other vacations worth the money we spend on them. I just lost interest in travelling & seeing new places.

- Festivals: After migrating with family, festivals are just another day for me. I have completely lost interest in celebrating festivals here.
    Not sure whether I will get back the vibe if I go back to my home country during festivals time.

5. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Very good thread to retrospect the self OP.

What makes me Happy
    - Peace in my own space/home/people who I care and cared by.
    - Plants and flowers
    - Family trips and getaways.

What I don't care anymore
    - Trying to fit in with the society.
    - Please anyone or trying to be in touch just to keep the one side bridge.

6. preethignan

preethignan Silver IL'ite

Things that make me happy:

1. Filter coffee to start the day. If the strength is a bit less also it irks me. So I am very particular.
    2. Reading a lot of books helps me maintain sanity.
    3 . Going for walks in the mornings and nights. Nights I do miss at times but morning walk is my energy booster.
    4. Driving my kids to school listening to latest songs and listening to their daily activities with them.
    5. Cooking also enlightens my mood though would love to take breaks at times from cooking.

Things that I really don't care about:

1. Dressing up for functions or parties. I am a private person. Given a choice I would prefer not attending any.

2. Trying to invite people or go to their houses. Nowadays I don't really care. I don't feel like hosting people anymore.

3.Watching tv . I stopped nearly 10 years ago. I just don't really care these days. I really wonder how I used to watch TV during childhood. Now totally away from it. Programmes don't interest me anymore.

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

This is a very good thread. Keep posting similar innovative ideas.
    Things that make me happy
    1. Music. I love listening to all kinds of music. I also sing well. Love listening to old Hindi and Tamil songs. Equally enjoy Carnatic music also
    2. Traveling. I love traveling and I have also travelled a lot.
    3. Wearing different kinds of sarees. I have many sarees. But still I am tempted to buy.
    4. Cooking and hospitality.
    5. Yoga and fitness
    6. Playing with children
    7. Enjoying nature
    What I don't care anymore
    1. Watching TV
    2. Going to theatres and watching movies. I don't remember when I last went to a theatre and watched movie

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: In life, especially in family life, every kind of happiness unfortunately follows the Law of Diminishing Utility. The degree of happiness that one derives gradually reduces with the event happening day after day. Sadness too tend diminish as day passes with other events upfront. That is why, OP CONSCIOUSLY added the word “Truly” in the title of the thread.

Anyways, I am always Happy to respond - daily to IL posts - and contribute anecdotes from my and others’ life / observation.
    2. I feel truly happy, the moment I get some points to write a story from any source.
    I am truly happy or glad as below:

3. Motivating positively others especially when they feel low or burdened makes me delectably happy. Rather I cease the opportunity to motivate others by telling suitable anecdote.
    4. Instead of looking at half empty, I look to the half full of ...
    5. Collaborating in kitchen with spouse always lead to happiness cause it allows scope for further improvement in refining responses.
    6. When spouse or friend seeks help for chopping vegetables fine I get happiness.
    7. Solving problems in maths, making strong decoction in separate filters one for peaberry and other for robusta in the morning before others at home wake’s up - a sure daily delight.
    8. When daily food in time and regularly digested am happy!
    9. When spouse delights me serving without spilling even a little liquid items of food on dinning table am happy.
    10. When spouse & I sitting and eating by dinning table, midway she suggests to roast pappad for both - am happy.
    11. When DW switch off bed room AC during vee hours am Happy.
    12. When DW stitches a button as replacement in my shirt that is on my body, and when I was ready to leave for office.
    13. Friday evenings dinner with onion-drumstick-sambar and hot onion-potato curry
    14. Scent of jasmine waft through evening air
    15. New and just laundered and pressed dresses
    16. when I look at changed bed-spreads & pillow covers on mattress
    17. The sound of caws of crows behind my bedroom window at dawn
    18. The sight of ready traditional snacks like murukku, theynkuzhal, mixture
    19. The sight of hopping, zig-zag flying crows and doves in the evening at my terrace for the snacks I throw
    20. When spouse makes ghee from cooking butter
    21. When traditional meal with numerous dishes served on wide fresh banana leaf
    22. When kulfi served in matka.
    23 a drive at night to a ice cream parlour and enjoying with spouse varieties of
    Ice cream or alternatively jilebi with badam milk
    24. Happy early-morning-plays against spouse shuttle cock with nets in our back yard and terrace as well.
    25. Happy scooting in Buddha Jayanthi Park (Delhi) with spouse as pillion
    ( lambretta she bought raising loan from bank)
    26. In cold season in Delhi, eating spoonful after spoonful looking at spouse, Hot Carrot halwa with dry fruits-nuts generously sprinkled.
    27. Summer early morning walk on shore with spouse waves often wetting our foot.
    28. Travel always with sound plans I enjoy with family. By rail-road is special.
    Flights to Goa and return by ship to Mumbai (mazagon) . Boating for hours
    At Pichavaram Mangrove Forest, et al. .....
    29. Watching ipl, listening to old box office movies hit songs in Hindi Tamil and English,
    30. I follow this song *

I am unable to list anything in which I have lost interest
    There is more to happiness and it is rightly said it is state of Mind.

anika987 and Rihana like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Ref#8 point no.3 read as seize instead cease!

anika987 and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a list, Thyagu! Only you can come up with such a list.

GOD creates the items, but the beauty lies in the eyes of the list MAKER.
    Blessed are we the list readers.

Here's thirty black dots dots to ward away any evil eyes for the thirty points:
    . . . . . . . . . . 10 . . . . . . . . . . 20 . . . . . . . . . .