1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of family life do you like to live in???

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sridivya, Jan 21, 2010.

1. dhivyavikram

dhivyavikram Bronze IL'ite

Joint Family...

My marriage is a love marriage...Really am blessed and lucky one.. Have got a very good family... Understanding, lovable, caring... Of course there will be some small probs.. but will not last for even a day... I am in family with 10 members.. now my daughter :) cute little an year old... She covers everyone with her cute naughty things...

My grandma (husbands grandma) .. The most admirable person.. I use to think how come a person like this... Learning alot from her.. She is the one who is the pillar of my home... I love to be in joint family...

4 people like this.
  2. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

If there is a third alternative, it should be a Matriarchal family a la the Mosuo tribe in China. I see no better alternative. Ofcourse we need some modifications that will suit us better.

Please see
    Walking Marriages - Mosuo
    Nandita

3. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I have grown up in a nuclear family with just my lovely Mom Dad and bro. Its always been the four of us.

Luckily, after my wedding too....its been the four of us...My FIL, MIL, DH and me. My DH's sister is married and lives abroad. My FIL passed away some years ago.

My MIL is broad minded and prefers to be on her own. She is perfectly fine by herself fine when DH and I are abroad. Of late, in society itself we see so many cases where parents themselves prefer to live on their own than with their children.

So, maybe things are changing unlike before where there were many family members and lots of things happening all the time.

4. Silentscream

Silentscream Senior IL'ite

Nuclear family!
    Here in US we live alone but whenever inlaws visit or we visit them, I feel suffocated and very neglected by hubby. He seems to give more time, importance and attention to his family. Also I stay away from his sil and brothers due to past problems, but he is very close to them and always gives them preference over me, that is why I would never live with them. And also I hate the fact that hubby comes home from office and had tea with his mom and watches tv with his dad and only comes to bed to sleep. I am only left alone in the kitchen or my bedroom (if mil comes and hoards my room then even this isnt possible)! I can't wait for them to leave:drowning:rant

5. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

nuclear family for me too ...

I was born into a joynt family, and that a bit bigger one as i belonged to the 4th generation of the house :) my great-grandparents (grandparents parents) lifed there, my grandparents, two oncles and one unmarried aunty, i was third child in my generation :)

Both settings have their pro and cons... at the end of the day it depends on the relationships between the family-members and the ability to deal with the lifestyle of each other, the ability and willingness to adjust and compromise.

Interesting is that my greatgrandmother was in fact not too happy about the huge family she stayed with, she wanted at least the last years of her life her hubby just for herself and not getting involved in householdcores too much or spending time with others (including kids, who startet to bother the eldest a bit with playing /jumping / noising arround or simply where disturbing their privacy)... So i dont beliefe that its just only good for elders to stay with a joynt family till last.. sometimes they even enjoy the privacy and freedom without responsibilities they had through whole life... unless they are able to take care of them themselfes of course :) sometimes even grandparents want to travel alone or visit nice restaurant :) Fun doesnt need to end at age... in fact it shud not at all

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  6. meenurani

meenurani Silver IL'ite

nuclear family for me too... with my parents and in laws living next street. so that i can visit them whenever i want and also will get privacy at home.

1 person likes this.
  7. priyak78

priyak78 New IL'ite

8. TamilKarthi

TamilKarthi New IL'ite

Joint Family!!

Living with my in-law and my hubby's sibling, Enjoy our life with them.

Family is nothing but sharing and caring. I understood that whether it is nuclear or joint, have ups and downs.

9. Haya

Haya Gold IL'ite

have been with in-laws for 5 years and on my own for another 5 years
    and i will always prefer nuclear family option
    its not that its suffocating but the freedom on your own makes me happy :)

10. rohinipriya21

rohinipriya21 Silver IL'ite

Nu clear
    no mil
    no fil
    no bil
    no sil
    no tantrums no gagas no geges
    only me hub, my two little kids
    i dont mind once in a months his parents or mine visiting us.
    Rest i would make my home a heaven abode :) love this imagination shud come true... MILs r u listeninggggggggg

1 person likes this.