1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Your Take On The Issue Of Leaving Elderly Parents In Old Age Homes?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by SGBV, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@Lakshmi6197
    I am giving up my argument again. It drains me a lot. It becomes pointless.
    You are confused and confusing me.

1. If your MIL is so bad thus you believe she deserves no place in your home, then why are you saying that you will keep her in your home after returning to India?
    2. Why can't you tell the same points to your H and refuse to keep MIL?
    3. If you believe your MIL is dangerous and abusive to the kid, then why don't you send her to a home?
    4. And why are you saying that you were raised with good morals so you even can't fight back with MIL when she tried to abuse you and the kid?

Secondly... If a daughter refuse to take care of her parents then It is her fault. Responsibilities of taking care of elderly parents have no gender bias. Both sons and daughters have equal responsibility.
    You are still confusing with me to your SIL lol..

Finally I am not defending @armummy. I don't know who is she. I suggested you the same what armummy suggested about venting your problems in a separate thread.

It's weekend and I am again on vacation mode.. so I won't be replying each of you.. just for your info

2. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

Oh dear. Why do you have to reply to a part of the message ignoring the other when only taken together things make sense? Please google "selective reading".
    To see where you are saying that it is not ok to send a parent to an old age home, I just need to read the second part of your message that you have written to @coolgal123

Please read it dear and then comment
    :roflmao:
    Btw who decides the "genuineness" of the issues because of which son sends his parents to old age home?
    You can wake up those who are asleep not those who pretend to be.....

3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

finally i understood that you are having very good heart. and you have proved it here. I understand you have run out of arguments.
    Thanks for your time.

SGBV likes this.
  4. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

DearSGBV,
    In closing this thread, please keep your heart open to one fact: All Westerners are not heartless, affectionless tyrants. I am relate to many because of interracial marriages, adoptions etc. I had social benefactors who were not related to me as well when I was a green Indian in the Western World, and had the help and kind companionship and graceful assistance from people in the U.S. only to help me acclimate and not feel homesick traditional as I was. If they had personal hardships at that time I came to know of them only later not while they opened up their hearts and homes to 'welcome' a friend in their midst. They care equally lovingly for their elders making very considerate choices which can keep their care at the levels required by their specific conditions, and availing of professional care etc at nursing homes and assisted facilities (and not all who do are super wealthy nor all facilities faultless-they tussle with finances just as we do and take a lot of care in selecting a good home out of the ones available etc), visiting regularly and monitoring the care closely, when the care to be given exceeds their capacities either due to the need to be raising a family demanding equal attention, and if a spouse then due to their own ageing, health problems etc.
    Do you know people like you and me here form community networks signing up to bring in food, spend time with the elders, etc., strictly on exchange basis averting high costs while giving high value care.
    Aren't such selfless and helpful ways of coexisting to be appreciated and if possible emulated to ease burden on all and to tighten even community connections? Wouldn't that be what 'Vasudevan Kutumbakam' concept preaches us Indians still bickering at family-level itself?
    Most people in this World are kind, and do the needful towards others, especially beloved parents regardless of their locale or culture and style. This may come as a surprise but there are ageing and feeble parents who insist on not burdening their grown children and so specify their care in their alternative decisions and Wills.
    Our culture is to be cherished for it has taught us lasting and enduring values but the other cultures therefore are not necessarily less or deficient--often because we do not have close enough an exposure to their inner and mutual mechanics.
    You are right, it's time this thread ended, my participation does with this.
    'Bye.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.