What is your opinion on reverse age gap marriages?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Keerthu, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Keerthu

Keerthu New IL'ite

Hi,

What are your thoughts on reverse age gap marriages?

By reverse age gap I mean, older woman marrying a younger man.

What would be your reaction if your son/daughter wants to opt for a reverse age gap marriage?

I have noticed that there are an increasing number of people opting for reverse age gap marriages.

Do you think such marriages really work?

Please pour in your suggestions.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

In my family it is not uncommon. Three of my aunts were older than their husbands, two of them by 9 years. All of these marriages were exemplary marriages and even with the age difference, the woman was widowed for years before expiring. This all depends on the attitudes of the folks involved. I will say that there are more men that like older women than one would think...its not something that is talked about much.

3. Keerthu

Keerthu New IL'ite

Thankyou Tashidelek for your response.

As you said,I guess there are many more men who would want to get married to older women.

What if after a few years,they feel they could have followed the norm and got married to someone younger?

4. tashidelek2002

In my family that did not happen. The men were always very happily married. I can cite many examples of how the men did not get tired but there are other problems that can happen. In my family my one uncle got cancer and died in his 40s and my aunt had three kids and was in her 50's so I think she got pretty tired. A lady who used to work for my mother had a second marriage at the age of about 55 to a guy who was 24. Several years after they were married she was diagnosed with a terminal disease and she lasted another ten years and died. He was devastated. His family loved her a lot as did the husband and it took him a few years to find someone new.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. Keerthu

Keerthu New IL'ite

Personally,I do not support reverse age gap marriages.

I feel there are perfect arranged marriages which end up with so many conflicts and misunderstandings.

I think reverse age gap marriages will cos a rift at some point of time or the other..either because of the reverse age gaps or any other issues..JMO

6. tashidelek2002

Yes I could tell by the way your phrased your messages that you were against those marriages. I have told you from first hand experience but you can cling to your views. Why are you so adamant that they are bad? And what about 50 or 60 yr old men marrying 22 yr old girls?

7. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

I think they work as well as any other as marriage depends on the individuals ... my aunt married a man 10 yrs younger to her and they've just completed 50 yrs... know of other couples also who are doing quickly well
    I feel that the woman has matured and basically accepts and forgives the man for alot of his follies as he is younger.. my nature i think after a certain age we women tend to "mother" people so the man is always secured... and as they age an understanding is formed...
    JMO
    K

8. Keerthu

Keerthu New IL'ite

Tashidelek,

Its just my opinion.There are certain things what people like and certain things that they dont.So I just voiced my opinion.

The reasons why I dont like reverse age gap marriages are:

1.They would never get acceptance from parents for sure.
    2.Probably,over the long run if the husband starts feeling that he should have married someone younger and for any petty issue if the husband starts telling the same thing over and over again..What would the wife do?
    3.Typically these people hide their age from everybody just to avoid people talking about them.They have to do it all throughout their lives.
    4.They would never get acceptance in the family.

I do not support an old man (50 or 60) marrying a 20 year old girl either.I find it ridiculous.

9. Barnabas

Barnabas New IL'ite

There are two main reasons for reverse age gap marriage. One from men and other from women. First some men want to become rich without any effort. So they like to marriage to a rich old lady. Second is old ladies always like you people for sex satisfaction. They are more satisfied through young people.

10. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I am not sure what exactly the OP means by reverse age difference marriages and what the criteria is for the age difference but I am 2 mos older than my husband. We are basically the same age except once a year I get older 2 mos before him LOL